Breastfeeding

Preemie and Breastfeeding

Im having an Amnio in 2 weeks and theres a possible chance that it might put me into labour which would make my son a preemie and I was looking forward to breastfeeding him but Im worried that when he's in the NICU I might not be able to. I feel like pumping will stress me out and upset me to much. I live hours away from the hospital that he will be put in. I will be with him at the times I can be but I have a 2 yr old that needs me too.

Has any moms with preemies felt overwhelmed when it came to feedings? I'd like to hear how you managed to get through it

Re: Preemie and Breastfeeding

• Yes, having a preemie is super overwhelming. Pumping for them is overwhelming, too. However, I found that I was SO thankful for the ability to pump for my twins when they arrived at 29w, since it was quite honestly the ONLY thing I could do for them for many, many weeks.

I did not have any other LOs while the girls were in the NICU, so that's tough, BUT that doesn't mean you can't still pump if that's what you want to do. Many moms have lots of tips for keeping toddlers occupied while they're BFing new infants -- pumping wouldn't be any different.

I wrote a very similar response a few threads down in terms of my EPing journey with my twins, which you can see here: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12505044/just-gave-birth-need-tips#latest
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DS was a late term preemie, born at 35 weeks. He spent 11 days in the NICU. I was in the hospital for 5 days since I ahd a uterine rupture and emergency c/s and was on an every 3 hour bfeeding schedule for that time. After each feeding, I would pump a bit to get my supply going. After I was discharged, I would spend 12 hours a day at the hospital and bfeed and pump and at home, I would pump every three hours.

DD, age 3, was shuffled between grandparents and, luckily, my husband had a little bit of time off. I was completely overwhelmed and thought about stopping many times. But, it got easier, we got into a rythym and my DD is no worse for having a mom that was kind of absentee for a short while until DS came home.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"