February 2015 Moms
Options

Weight gain

amandakusamandakus member
edited December 2014 in February 2015 Moms
Wondering why some people feel the need to comment on how big/small we are? Just last weekend I was trying to enjoy my friends bridal shower when an older lady I didn't even know came up and asked me when I was due. She had a horrified look when I told her feb. She said I looked like I was about to pop any minute and asked if it was twins! I was like... Nope just one.... And she looked shocked and said how HUGE I was. Ugh! Why do people think it's ok to make those kinds of comments?! Anyone else out there with similar "problems"?

Re: Weight gain

• Options
    Comparing weight gain is not a good idea. It sounds like you are gaining weight in a healthy way. Good for you! Sorry for the rude comments you've received. I've gotten them too. Some people are clueless.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Can't wait to meet our darling daughter, Abigail Elizabeth
    BFP#1: 12/14/13, EDD: 8/22/14, mmc@5wks, miso: 1/14/14
    BFP#2: 6/9/14, EDD: 2/14/15

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Dealing with body image issues myself which is why I asked. Didn't expect to get bitchy responses from people. I was mostly wanting others thoughts on why people feel like they need to comment on how we look. Especially if we don't even know them.
  • Options
    The one comment that drives me nuts is "how much weight have you gained?" My MIL just asked me and I wanted to smack her. People are rude and as a pregnant woman you should know not to ask that/try to compare! Sorry your getting rude comments.
  • Options
    Why are you concerned if your doctor isn't? Especially if you have "only gained weight where the baby is".
  • Options
    I wasn't necessarily concerned. More looking for a commentary on how mean/awful it is for people to comment on how big or small you are. I've never blogged or whatever before and was just looking forward to seeing some mutual dislike of people who act like that towards pregnant people and instead I have been pretty much been getting verbally attacked. No one else need respond because I am so sorry I ever decided to post anything
  • Options
    I kinda thought this was going to be a supportive place and was a little shocked by the responses. Now I know.
  • Options
    amandakus said:
    I wasn't necessarily concerned. More looking for a commentary on how mean/awful it is for people to comment on how big or small you are. I've never blogged or whatever before and was just looking forward to seeing some mutual dislike of people who act like that towards pregnant people and instead I have been pretty much been getting verbally attacked. No one else need respond because I am so sorry I ever decided to post anything

That was exactly my point. You could've started a whole post about how people feel the need to comment on weight gain, but instead, you made it about personal weight gain in the first sentence.
  • Options
    Thanks nbad311. And I've been a member for months. It was just the first time I had anything to post about. My friends bridal shower was Sunday and that's when the lady was awful about how huge I was. I'm sorry the way I went about the post seemed like I was "bragging" I was just trying to "set the stage" so the lady saying I looked like I was carrying twins would have some kind of meaning to people who have no idea what I look like. And my bump isn't perfect. It isn't even "round". I have stretch marks and struggle with how I feel like a cow everyday. Especially when nothing I own fits and I wear yoga pants 24/7.
  • Options
    Ugh!! OP you are very rude! So you get upset when strangers ask/comment on your belly, yet YOU are doing the same thing to us!! Then you have the nerve to tell us we are bitchy. Leave us alone and go brag on another "blog"!
    imageimageimage
    As soon as I saw you, I knew an adventure was going to happen - Winnie the Pooh

Married 8/22/09
    Pregnancy 1- EDD 11/21/10 NMC @ 6 weeks
    Pregnancy 2 - Rainbow DS born 1/15/11
    Pregnancy 3 - EDD 5/2/14 NMC @ 6 weeks 9/4/13
    Pregnancy 4 - EDD 6/11/14 BO @ 9 weeks D&C 11/8/13
     AF arrived 12/18/13
    BENCH IS BURNED 2/2014
    TTA until May/Jun
    WOW!!! I'm pregnant!!! BFP 6/8/14 Rainbow on the way EDD 2/14/15
    If there ever comes a day where we can't be together, keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever -
    Winnie the Pooh

imageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have a pair of maternity jeans and about 4-5 long sleeve maternity shirts I rotate through. That's the extent of my wardrobe right now. And probably will be for the next several months.
  • Options
    NvywifeNvywife member
    edited December 2014
  • Options
    OP- here's my advice. The comments you received from pps is very correct. It may have seemed harsh to you at first, but clearly if you are also struggling with body image issues you can see why we react the way we do. That being said - I suggest that you apologize for your poor wording, change it by only asking how we handle rude comments from others, ask for forgiveness, introduce yourself, and lurk for awhile while slowly jumping into this community.
    image         image
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    I think I just died a little inside from missing this total hot mess of a thread today :(

Edit: emogi fail
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    chickyclg said:

@amandakus let me cry you a fucking river!  Stop with the OMG, People keep saying I look like I'm having twins.  Boo fucking hoo, you don't fit in regular clothes and heaven forbid that you can still fit into yoga pants.  You sound like an attention seeking brat that makes ignorant comments without thinking of others.

Lets trade places for a moment, from a twin moms point of view.  I don't throw weight out there but I have gained less than "the internet" says I should and my doctor is just fine with it.  Now lets touch on the "ZOMG!! I'm twin carrying huge" 1. What a fucked up comment.  2. Sorry your yoga pants don't fit, but let's talk twin mom problems for a sec,  like when your fucking MATERNITY clothes stop fitting.  As in pants are too tight, and shirts are too short,  and all you can wear comfortably is your husband's too big for him sweatpants. 

Maybe I just read your stupidly worded post with a needy tone, or it could be the constant pain I am in mixed with the nothing fits, can't sleep, hatred of these stupid weight post.  

Just an FYI your pregnancy will not be the first thing that people make comments and judge you on, just wait until the baby is here.  The you will get chastised for bottle or breast, discipline methods, and so on.  My recommendation to you is to get some thicker skin, because the comments are only just getting started.
    This. <3
    MMC October 2010
    BFP #2 June 3, 2014
    Twins?  You mean two babies?  WOW!
    Team PURPLE!!
    We are excited to meet William Alexander and Harper Abigail in 2015!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I hate these posts. People get upset. Who's got the Pregnant Chicken blog site where she talks about why it doesn't matter at all how big/small you look to other people? That would be appropriate here.

I am very small, in terms of pregnancy. People treat me differently because of it, not in a good way. I struggled to gain weight during pregnancy and that is not something that gives me pleasure. It has taken me several months now to learn to not let these people influence how I feel about myself. If possible, whenever someone says something about your weight or appearance that is not "you look great!" let it slide right out of your mind. Don't dwell on it, don't think about it. That has been my strategy. 

Also, avoid mirrors.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    Don't listen to these bitches OP, they're all just jealous over your perfect 20 lb basketball sized belly. I know I am...oh wait...no...no I'm not.

I ACTUALLY DON'T GIVE A FUCK. You could have posted solely on how to deal with comments about your pregnant belly and then we may have offered encouraging words at that point. But instead, you took it to another level and decided to make us all feel like shit by making it a note to point out your exact weight gain and that it's specifically all in your cute lil bump. Now that you've read a little piece of my mind, get the fuck out.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic                      

Married 9/10/11 * BFP 6/9/14 * EDD 1/25/15

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I agree that she worded things incorrectly, but if you read through all of the responses, including hers, she did admit she made a mistake in the wording and explained herself.
  • Options
    My Mil told me she could tell I was getting bigger from behind.....all that made me want to do is shove another cupcake in my face.
    imageLilypie Pregnancy tickers

DS-1/27/04 DS-11/5/12 MC-5/7/14 BFP: 5/27/14 

imageimageimage

• Options
    CogDis said:

Seriously, I'm super jealous if people are still fitting into their regular clothes! Mine haven't since like 16wks or maybe earlier!

Many of us still fitting into our normal clothes have been having horrible morning sickness since week 5. Don't be too jealous!!!
  • Options
    misskc2 said:

CogDis said:

Seriously, I'm super jealous if people are still fitting into their regular clothes! Mine haven't since like 16wks or maybe earlier!

Many of us still fitting into our normal clothes have been having horrible morning sickness since week 5. Don't be too jealous!!!
    Ehhhh, still not an excuse for being insensitive. It's not about jealousy. At all.
  • Options
    I get the same thing all of the time where people tell me, when are you due?... In feb? What are you having twins, triplets?... no its only 1 baby boy. I absolutely hate it so no, you are not alone. It does make me feel concious of my weight. I agree with the others though. If the doc isn't worried you dnt worry either.
  • Options
    foxslaw said:

misskc2 said:

CogDis said:

Ehhhh, still not an excuse for being insensitive. It's not about jealousy. At all.
    Oh I absolutely agree!!! Just making a point that everyone has their own battles. People may be jealous of us fitting in our old clothes but I am jealous of those who don't still have morning sickness. However this is more of a random thought/spin off from the original post. I definitely agree that what the op said was insensitive. Just got ADHD for a moment!
  • Options
    @misskc2‌
    I've had horrible MS since the beginning! Puking 20 times a day for the first tri, only a few times a week for the second tri, and (like I mentioned yesterday) it's back up to a few times a day again (yesterday I puked on my bed, in my hands, and all over the floor). But like I said, I don't fr into my clothes pre-pregnancy and haven't for a long time. Thanks for rubbing it in, though!
  • Options
    CogDis said:

@misskc2‌
    I've had horrible MS since the beginning! Puking 20 times a day for the first tri, only a few times a week for the second tri, and (like I mentioned yesterday) it's back up to a few times a day again (yesterday I puked on my bed, in my hands, and all over the floor). But like I said, I don't fr into my clothes pre-pregnancy and haven't for a long time. Thanks for rubbing it in, though!

That's so freaking awful you poor thing!!!! Omg! I can't even!!! (Creepy internet stranger cyber hugs)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"