Postpartum Depression
Options

Prenatal/Postpartum Depression Outreach

I'm really not sure whether or not this is going to work, but I am in desperate need of any resources to help with prenatal depression or any sources to turn to for some emotional/mental stability right now. I am currently pregnant with my second (26 weeks) which was an incredible moment of relief and joy since we had tried for over two years with no success. I didn't have prenatal depression with my first but I did have postpartum and it was something that took me almost three years to actually admit to myself. 
The past few months have been an immense stress hell for me which has only amplified the anxiety and depression, and the last two weeks seem to have been the straw that broke the camel's back. The week of Thanksgiving, both my son and husband fell terribly ill so I took care of them both, then the night before Thanksgiving our basement flooded with sewage, destroying most of our stored possessions and costing us thousands in damage. Because my husband works 7 days a week, 17 hours a day to keep our head above water financially, he had to go back to work immediately and that left me alone to clean up the basement. Between cleaning sewage, being stuck lifting boxes, and taking care of two very sick people, I fell really ill and have been fighting an infection that's affected my breathing for the last two weeks and has kept me bedridden which has done wonders for my already over-stressed depression. Then today I was woken from finally being able to nap to answer the door and receive a notice of foreclosure. I'm honestly beyond speechless and don't know how much more of this I can take. I've known for the last three months that we've been struggling but my husband never admitted it being this out of hand and since he works the point that neither my son or I ever really see him, we don't even have moments that we can sit and try to work out what's going on. 
The notice said that we have until right after Christmas before the bank seizes our home. I don't know whether I should be packing boxes or trying to figure out how to contest this since I know we've been sending in every penny we're able to scrape together, or whether just to start getting rid of everything in the hopes that somehow in the next couple of weeks we can save ourselves. We were supposed to be getting our Christmas tree tomorrow night, I just finished wrapping the few gifts that I was able to get through my own saving of spare change, I can't even begin to believe that we can have a Christmas anymore now that we'll be worrying about where we'll be living by the end of the month. 
I'm sorry that this has turned into a rant, I'm just really alone and have no one to turn to. I don't even have a car that I can use to take my son out for a drive to see the lights and get a happy distraction. This recent hit of financial trouble caught us completely off-guard and now I'm just desperate to find somewhere to turn to for the help I'm in need of because I'm terrified that between all of the stress we've been under that my prenatal will turn into postpartum and I really can't handle that concept right now. 
I really appreciate anyone who bothered to read this, and for any advice or links or points in the right direction. 

Re: Prenatal/Postpartum Depression Outreach

• Options
    I wish I had some advice for you, but I just wanted to say hang in there. I can't imagine dealing with what you are going through especially while pregnant, but try to think of anything positive even if it seems like there aren't many right now.

Did you tell your OB GYN? They can normally refer you to a group or a counselor. I have gone to both and they have helped so much.
  • Options
    Thank you, it's definitely a one-day-at-a-time existence for me right now. 
    I spoke with my OB earlier in the pregnancy before any external stresses took over and I was starting to feel just the depression taking root. Unfortunately, though, I don't have any means of getting to a counselor so even though she recommended some groups (which I desperately want to be part of), I have no way to get to them/no one to watch my son while I'm in therapy (we had to move almost two hours away from our families in order to afford a home). I think that's why I initially turned to online advice since it's the only source I can reach out to while being relatively isolated. In a good week, my son and I might be able to go out once or twice if my husband is home at a decent hour, but since he has the car almost 24/7 and there isn't any public transportation since we're in a rural area, I'm completely dependent on him being available even to go out to buy groceries.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you are going through this. I delt with postpartum psychosis after the birth of our first son and in the past few weeks I have been suffering a relapse of symptoms to the point where I can't sleep and am throwing up after every meal. My husband works 3rd shift so I'm alone most nights and days as he sleeps during the day. Luckily we have 2 cars and we just got into a program out of a Boston Hospital (over an hour away from us but hey it's something). So while I'm not dealing with all the stresses you are I can understand where you are coming from. With my first I ended up hospitalized on a 72 hour watch (which ended up being 5 days bc weekends don't count) at a drug rehab hospital bc insurance canceled my coverage bc of a clerical error, it was corrected but when we needed it we didn't have it and I ended up at a crappy hospital that wasn't even in our network bc no one else would take me. Now we owe like $10k in medical bills and we are just treading water financially and I'm afraid that we won't be able to afford the treatment the program we got into is suggesting. They are recommending partial hospitalization over an hour away with no daycare offered. I also don't know how we can swing this even if we can afford it.

If I were in your shoes I would try and google depression hotlines and give them a call. You may be able to check in with someone like a sponsor via the phone. It's so hard bc even friends and family often can't give the support you need but if you are close at least you can get some help. I would def try a hotline for a weekly check in or something like that. I would also look for a religious organization, even if you are not a very religious person. You can often find support and help and often people will be happy to make sure you have a ride to services and events.

Other than that in would call your OB and tell them you need a treatment plan ASAP to be sure you don't relapse.

Again I'm so sorry you are going through this. Please know you are not alone and there are people who are pulling for you. I'm sending you thoughts and prayers and all the supporting vibes I can.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"