September 2014 Moms

TV and baby

Do you all let your LO watch tv or look at apps? I sometimes have the tv on while nursing but discovered my in laws are showing him videos all the time on their iPads - not really comfortable with this but not sure how to bring it up. They are just so obsessed with electronics and cannot see anything wrong with it...

Re: TV and baby

• edited December 2014
    I kept LO #1 away from actively watching tv and using apps until he was 2 (though I did have my shows on in the background for the first few months sometimes, and I know my mom and sister showed him stuff on their ipads after he was 1,despite my requests not to). This LO, I'm trying to keep tv away as much as I can never place him where he can really see it but it's hard when his big bro is watching so I'm sure he'll watch sooner than LO #1 did.
    I
    don't really see a point of purposely giving a newborn screen time though. I kind of hate the glazed look he gets when he has seen the tv. But when they're a bit older, no biggie (in moderation of course) Sesame Street gets us through the day!

• Loading the player...
  • Maybe it's just me but I feel like she's learning when she watches a little TV with us or a baby Einstein video - just staring at all the colors and shapes - there's so much to take in and I don't feel it's doing harm but that's just me. we do plenty of other activities throughout the day away from the TV and when she's eating and I'm watching she's staring at the boob lol

Off BC, NTNP since June 2011

Started acupuncture/herbs July 2012 

First BFP 9-8-2012,EDD 5-15-2013, heartbeat of 175 at 8w2d, mmc discovered on 10-26-12 (11w6d) Cytotec on 10/26/12

8/23/13 DX with non-IR PCOS

Second BFP 9.12.13, EDD 5.29.14, heartbeat of 114 at 6w1d, mmc discovered on 10-18-13, D&C on 10/23/13 (baby girl/Trisomy 10) 

Third BFP (surprise at Beta draw after d&c) on 1/10/14 (15dpo), EDD 9.20.14 Please be our RAINBOW!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• When I need to do a load of laundry or cook dinner, I put her in her swing and turn on Baby Einstein and she loves it. It holds her attention long enough for me to get what I need to get done. I feel like it's more of an issue when your toddler watches tv all day long every day in place of playing outside or with toys.
  • When I need to do a load of laundry or cook dinner, I put her in her swing and turn on Baby Einstein and she loves it. It holds her attention long enough for me to get what I need to get done. I feel like it's more of an issue when your toddler watches tv all day long every day in place of playing outside or with toys.
    I found some bright color high contrast videos that buy me about 20 minutes while she's in her swing. She gets bored after that and cries.  I MAYBE use them once every 3 days.  I'm sorry but honestly I have to agree the real problem is when kids and tots watch TV instead of doing brain growing activities.. right now our babes are indeed starting to grab and reach and interact, but a lot of their development is still occurring by just observing the world around them.  I see no harm in letting them observe some bright colors and movement set to classical music, especially if it lets me shower or eat.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I are huge TV watchers. I will occasionally catch DS looking at the TV. His favorite show so far: It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia.

He maybe watches 5-10mins a day. But of course being a FTM now I'm freaking out of its more. I hate information like this. What to believe?
  • My pedi said no screens for 2 years is what's advised, but that common sense really is what should be followed.  :)
    Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: September 23
    PGAL: September 2010
    AMA:

• seamonkey0814seamonkey0814 member
    edited December 2014
    Thank you for starting this discussion. DH and I talked about this a lot while I was pregnant and swore that DS would get zero screen time. We both watch too much TV and don't want to pass the bad habit on to our kids. Of course it only lasted a month or so after LO was born and now we're back to turning on the tv in the evenings and LO is already staring at the screen :( We have now promised that when he gets older, can play more and has an earlier bedtime, we won't waste the short time we have with him between work and bed on TV. I'm worried we'll have a hard time sticking to that too though. I feel so guilty. It's the only thing I feel like we're totally failing with :(
  • Constant TV viewing isn't good for the LOs. Stand your ground, thus isn't a small issue. While I made this clear with my MIL, she disregarded it. However, last week when she came over, first thing she did was turn on the tv while I was nursing DD. Dd turned her head towards the tv a few times and I'd turn it back and at the same time say "No, sweetheart, tv isn't good for you...it affects your brain and development." After three times, she finally turned it off. Hoping it stayed off most of the time DD was awake.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We will have the TV on while DS nurses and when he is in the room with us. He will stare at the screen sometimes, but I just think he likes the different colors and lights on it.
    BFP #1 7/23/12: EDD 4/1/13.  MMC discovered on 9/4/12 @ 10w1d
    BFP# 2 3/9/13:  EDD 11/12/13 m/c 3/15/13 @ 5w3d
    RPL testing shows one copy of MTHFR gene mutation. 
     BFP#3 12/24/13: EDD 9/5/14 Beta #1 13 DPO 168! Beta #2 16 DPO 895!
     First US 1/9/14 @ 5w6d Strong HB!
    2nd US 1/23/14 @ 7w6d baby is still doing great! 3rd US 1/31/14  9w0d: Beautiful wiggly baby! Keep growing baby!
    3/17/14 US @ 15w3d:Its a BOY!

My rainbow baby Isaac has arrived! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We will have the TV on while DS nurses and when he is in the room with us. He will stare at the screen sometimes, but I just think he likes the different colors and lights on it.

This. She's more interested in her hands right now though.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Meant to add we do let her look at the tablet when we Skype with her brother and sister. It's about once or twice a month.
    Eliza Mae - September 16th, 2014
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I guess maybe I'm a stupid FTM, but I never even considered that DD could actually be watching TV in the sense that we do this early. We certainly don't plop her in front of it, but it's on in the background. I like the noise, and DH just likes the TV so it's usually on. It'll catch her eye from time to time and DH and I will always laugh that she's "watching TV". I thought it was just the lights and bright colors and perhaps the sound attracting her to it, just like her toys do.

• I have the tv on pretty much all day but I always position LO so her back is to it. When people talk about "screen time" for babies I always figured they meant how much a LO is exposed to the tv, like when I'm watching it and it catches baby's eye for a minute. I honestly didn't know people sat their babies down in front of a tv or iPad for entertainment. I haven't done any research on the effects of tv, just seems plopping a baby on a play mat would serve them better than popping them in front of a tv.
  • Tv keeps me sane with a toddler, it really helps when I'm doing something with baby, cooking, not really cleaning bc I make her help with that. But sometimes DS stares at the tv when A is watching a movie.
  • I usually have the TV on all day but lo is always facing away from it so it's not an issue. The only time we let her look is when we need to get her head to turn as far to the left as possible to stretch her neck if nothing else will do it at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"