1st Trimester

Getting blood drawn

I know it depends on the person and the circumstances and whatnot, but on average, how many times have you had blood drawn so far or how many times do you know that you'll be getting your blood drawn?

I'm aware that the answer for myself will be coming from my doctor but I'm curious to hear what others have had done.

I'm freaking terrified of needles and last time I gave blood I passed out. Just thinking about giving blood makes me a little dizzy! I told my doctor when we scheduled the first appointment, they said they would give me a room and use a smaller needle....although that's great, I'm still terrified. I can watch this shit happen and be done all day long but when it's my own I freak out.

Any suggestions other than eating well and keeping hydrated to keep my ass grounded for this?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Getting blood drawn

• I had a bunch of blood drawn at once at the beginning of my pregnancy. It wasn't fun, I typically get lightheaded or faint and although neither of those things happened I very nearly threw up. The only other blood work I had done was at an ER visit when I had some bleeding and they wanted to confirm my blood type as the other tests hadn't come back yet. RH-, so they gave me a rhogam shot which I have to update every twelve weeks through pregnancy.
    Fortunately, I'm now 19 weeks and haven't had any other blood work done since. If all continues to go well, I may not have any other blood drawn this pregnancy.
    I usually ask to lie down when getting blood taken as it helps with the fainting, the only reason I didn't last time was because it wasn't an option.

Anniversary

• I had blood drawn I think twice or three times my first pregnancy and because I've had a loss and will be over 35 at time of delivery I have had blood drawn 5x and I'm almost 24 weeks. If tell you to brace yourself because having an IV is way worse than a draw & giving birth is a million times worse than that. Good luck!
  • Loading the player...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks everyone! It's interesting to know what everyone else is going through and maybe after Friday I can relate! My appointment is at 2, I feel like this week is going to take forever!

As for the IV and everything, I get that. I don't think it's so much the pain that I'm scared of... I'm not real sure exactly what it is that freaks me out about it... The needle, for sure is part of it ... But the pain isn't scary. YET. Lol!

Thanks again everyone!
  • Between my miscarraige and this pregnancy right after over 20 times. Four in the same day. I was terrified of needles but not anymore. I don't enjoy it but stressing about it didn't help so I just do it.
  • I'm sorry to hear about your loss...
    I've definitely been trying not to stress but easier said than done... Talking about the fear helps though. I know you can decline as a PP said but I would certainly rather be safe than sorry - nothing against anyone else's decision to not have it done - but, yes I won't lie I may be stressing a little. :/
  • I had 2 blood draws with my RE and 4 with my OB (initial appointment, quad screen at 18w, GD testing at 27w & 32w because of protein in my urine).
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Married 1/2/99.
    TTC since 4/09.
    Diagnosed PCOS. Diagnosed Hypothryoid 11/09.
    SHG & SA normal. PCOS Research study started 5/10.
    Clomid/Femara cycle #1 - 6/10 = BFN
    Clomid/Femara cycle #2 - 7/10 = BFP #1 - Missed miscarriage 9/2/10
    11/12 - BFP #2 - 11/22 - m/c
    5/1/11 - BFP #3 - Pre-eclampsia, IUGR & bed rest from 32w. DD born via induction 1/4/12.
  • You tend to have more blood drawn in the first trimester than the rest of the pregnancy. It also depends on your age, and whether you have genetic testing done as well. I just look away and don't turn around till they are over. However it's a very easy part of pregnancy considering the joys of labor, epi, iv, and 3rd tear. Not pleasant.
  • I had an initial blood draw to confirm pregnancy.

Then one at my one hour glucose test.

Four at my three hour glucose test. Not everyone fails the one hour though.

Then one before I gave birth but I think that may have been optional, but ordered by my doctor.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• So far this pregnancy I've had it drawn 3 times. Most likely it will only be 4 in total before delivery and any vaccinations I may need updated. 
    With my loss in May I had about 8 or 9 draws in the course of 5 weeks. 

It really does depend on your doctor and what numbers or values make them happy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

image      image

• AshCHBAshCHB member
    edited December 2014
    I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis and they're monitoring it closely, so I get my blood drawn at least once a month. And that's just for my endocrinologist. Haven't had an appointment with my MW yet, so she hasn't ordered any labs for me yet.

Edited because words are hard.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm also incredibly needle phobic, so I just wanted to say I know exactly what you're going through!! I had the "big" blood draw at my 6w appt and my MW assured me that as long as there are no complications there should only be one more of those. I expect there might be a few little ones in between though, but at least for me, those are easier to get through than the four vials they took last time!

A few tips I've learned- always make sure you lay down, suck on a sucker, stay very hydrated, keep talking and if it's not a pain thing, which it isn't at all for me, don't use a smaller needed as it will just take them longer.

And I'm sure it's not like this everywhere, my MW said I wouldn't have to have an IV or heplock in the hospital, unless I need antibiotics.

Good luck, it sucks, but it's over pretty quickly!!
  • Thanks everyone for telling me your experiences and for the suggestions given - I really appreciate it!
  • jewely24 said:
    I'm also incredibly needle phobic, so I just wanted to say I know exactly what you're going through!! I had the "big" blood draw at my 6w appt and my MW assured me that as long as there are no complications there should only be one more of those. I expect there might be a few little ones in between though, but at least for me, those are easier to get through than the four vials they took last time! A few tips I've learned- always make sure you lay down, suck on a sucker, stay very hydrated, keep talking and if it's not a pain thing, which it isn't at all for me, don't use a smaller needed as it will just take them longer. And I'm sure it's not like this everywhere, my MW said I wouldn't have to have an IV or heplock in the hospital, unless I need antibiotics. Good luck, it sucks, but it's over pretty quickly!!

I was wondering if a smaller needle would take longer...I was afraid of that answer actually.  I'm hoping I don't have to give too many times, I'm 26 and this is my 1st - I'm at 9 weeks and 2 days, I wouldn't say I'm high risk quite yet, but I guess that's left to be told? thanks for the tips, I'll definitely be using the bigger needle,  I want this over as quick as possible. I'm going to be dwelling on it all week, I know I shouldn't be but ugh, it's hard! Thanks again!
  • I'm late on this one, but I'm another total needle-phobe who has ended up having a lot (like a lot a lot, my doctor's are amazed at the number of blood tests I've had run when they look at the whole sheet) of experiences with needles in the past couple of years. I still get a little dry mouth about them, and I have a hierarchy of fear (blood draws easier than IVs easier than shots).

What you've done already is great. I let everyone, doctors, nurses, phlebotomists, know exactly how I am about them. I let them know that I need the person who's the best 'stick' they have. Everyone I've dealt with has been incredibly nice about it. I will also say that, for me, once the needle is in, I don't care. I immediately calm down.

In addition to a sucker or hard candy, have them hand you an alcohol swab as they're sticking you. Feeling the cold from it in your other hand or on your cheek distracts your body from the pain. Some places also have little cold/ice packs that you can put on the back of your neck (that also helps with the fainting).

TTC #1 since 11/2012
    Me-31, H-27
    **Loss 1-Cycle 7(June 2013) at 5w6d-CP**Loss 2-Cycle 11(October 2013) at 5w4d-CP**
    **Loss 3-Cycle 14 (January-February 2014)-M/C dx 2/10, EP dx 2/24, MTX 2/25**
    Beta Hell--hCG finally down to 0 - 6/20/14
    SA normal. Genetic testing normal. Hormonal testing normal.
    HSG 6/30/14 - found blocked left tube and 2 'bubbles' on uterine wall.
    Hysteroscopy/Lap--8/4/14 - Tubes unblocked. Polyps removed from uterine wall. Septum removed.
     9/30/14--Off the bench! Unmedicated TI through December 2014
    BFP 12/14/14!!! Beta #1, 12/16: 990 Beta #2, 12/18: Over 2000! Beta #3, 12/22: over 8000!
     U/S #1, 12/23: gestational sac, possible heartbeat
    U/S #2, 12/30: HEARTBEAT! 128bpm, measuring right on at 7w EDD: 8/19/2015
    U/S #3, 1/9: BPM in the 180s, IT'S HAPPENING!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm late on this one, but I'm another total needle-phobe who has ended up having a lot (like a lot a lot, my doctor's are amazed at the number of blood tests I've had run when they look at the whole sheet) of experiences with needles in the past couple of years. I still get a little dry mouth about them, and I have a hierarchy of fear (blood draws easier than IVs easier than shots).

What you've done already is great. I let everyone, doctors, nurses, phlebotomists, know exactly how I am about them. I let them know that I need the person who's the best 'stick' they have. Everyone I've dealt with has been incredibly nice about it. I will also say that, for me, once the needle is in, I don't care. I immediately calm down.

In addition to a sucker or hard candy, have them hand you an alcohol swab as they're sticking you. Feeling the cold from it in your other hand or on your cheek distracts your body from the pain. Some places also have little cold/ice packs that you can put on the back of your neck (that also helps with the fainting).
    That is a great idea! I was considering taking a rag and water with me.... a cold compress would probably be a lot less messy, LOL.  I start freaking out about this shit and totally don't think rationally, hahaha! thank you!
  • ipumpkinipumpkin member
    edited December 2014
    MauiBliss said:
    I have to have the smaller needles because my veins blow easily. And it definitely takes longer. I'm not at all bothered by needles of any size and have had lots of surgeries, joint injections, blood draws etc., but the extra time with the small needles is annoying. 

Definitely opt for the regular needle if you can. Good luck. 

@MauiBliss - you're tough going through all of that! I can't imagine the state of mind I'd be in if I would have to do all of that! :( I'm jealous you're not bothered by them, lol!

I definitely think I'll be using the bigger needle...I'm still going to ask for a room with a bed to lie down and a cold compress like @divinemsbee mentioned.

Ugh, I just can't help but think about the disastrous last time I had to ( which, was a mistake anyway! ) It was for a job position I got hired for and they thought I needed to give blood ( as much as I told them I didn't they insisted I did. )...anyhow, I knew I was going to pass out because of how freaked out I was...needless to say, I did and the nurse FREAKED OUT! She shoved some orange shit (I think it was some sugar drink or something for diabetics - I don't remember) down my throat because prior to, all I wanted was a drink of something. So, she shoved this crap down my throat while I was half conscious, I threw it up - in my husbands hand... God love him - that's true love right there! LOL and she wanted to send me to the ER.  My husband works EMS and was like "No, you need to chill. She'll be fine" .... Apparently, that never happened to her before...

I'm just praying it doesn't end up like this again.... Ehhhh...

Edited because I can't type.

• I had a fear of needles before my pregnancy with DD.  I got over it real quick.  Id give myself a little encouragement talk before hand and just look away.  After awhile I could watch them do the whole procedure, setting up the needles, alcohol swab, and blood draw etc.  I think watching it be done helped me more to deal with it.  With DS it was not a problem at all.  Good luck. 
  • I had a fear of needles before my pregnancy with DD.  I got over it real quick.  Id give myself a little encouragement talk before hand and just look away.  After awhile I could watch them do the whole procedure, setting up the needles, alcohol swab, and blood draw etc.  I think watching it be done helped me more to deal with it.  With DS it was not a problem at all.  Good luck. 

That is an interesting way to deal with it. I like that, I'm not sure I'd be able to do it, but it might be worth a shot....maybe after this first initial try.  I think that may actually be a really good way to get over it since for me, it is mostly psychological I think. Literally facing the fear. If I can grow a set of balls -figuratively speaking, of course :) - , I may try that.... Thank you!

• @AFwifelife -  Not doing the blood work - definitely me right now.  I'll do it Friday, for the little growing inside me, but if it were just for me then no-can-do-sorry. Haha. I'm sure it'll get better, like most things, with time....doing it more often, and using everyone's good suggestions, but for now I'd really rather tweeze every hair out of my body one-by-one than do this. LOL.

P.S.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE the pug gif - it made my day!

• For me so far it was 2 times to get beta and pregesterone levels, 1st trimester blood test (testing for blood type, CBC, and STDs), NT blood draw, 1HR glucose, and 3HR glucose.  I do know that 1st trimester blood screens are important and so is glucose.  I have no fear of needles as I give myself shot at home to begin with.  I find that if you focus on a picture on the wall or talk to the person drawing the blood it helps by distracting you.  And whatever you do never look at them while they are sticking you.  It makes it hurt like a bitch!
    ****Siggy Warning***
    Me-35 Hubby-36

CP-11/2013
    CP-4/2014
    BFP-06/2014-EDD 02/16/2015
    Valentine boy born 02/14/2015
    BFP-08/2016 MC 6wks
    Surprise BFP-09/13/16 EDD 5/26/17

PitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Definitely have to agree with @NariaDreaming‌, if I mention to them that I need to lay down and get anxious with blood draws and they seem nervous or apprehensive, I always ask for someone else!
  • At 10 weeks, i've only had it done once for the STD screening + inheregen test. Thankfully 2 birds with one stone.
  • I'm 8 weeks now and have had it drawn 2 times so far.  I go back at 10 weeks for a blood draw that will check for any sort of chromosomal abnormalities.  I'm the worst stick ever it takes forever to find a vein, and I have thick blood so they cant use butterfly needles.  My OB has started to take arterial blood. He took it from the groin area and it was SO much easier than the arms.  One stick (as opposed to at least 3 in my arms) and I filled like 7 vials in a minute (as opposed to being lucky to get 1 or 2 with my arm)  It also hurt a lot less, the Doc said there are less nerve endings there.  Maybe something to thing about.    
  • Thanks! I'm definitely going to let them know I'm freaking terrified of this, I have been trying to be tough all week but the closer and closer we get to Friday the more and more I turn into a big baby... I'll ask them about the groin option and see what happens.  I'm hoping I don't lose my shit and can just get it done, but if I do it might get interesting... LOL.

Thank you EVERYONE for all of your great suggestions. I'll let you know Friday after my 1:00 apt if I survived or not.. LOL!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"