Babies: 6 - 9 Months

XP from May 2014: Safety issue - say something or mind my own business?

soylattesoylatte member
edited December 2014 in Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Family member posted this photo today of their 2 month old sleeping. They have 2 young kids and now this one. Dad is a stay at home dad and cares for them, this is how he apparently puts them to bed. I'm having a heart attack because of the safety issues. Would you butt in if this were your family? They live out of state, are older parents (as am I). If I am overreacting, tell me. But this seems like a poster for SIDS risks. Thanks.
**Image deleted
was of a baby, face down, 3 fleece blankets on top of her, up to her head

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: XP from May 2014: Safety issue - say something or mind my own business?

• Idani said:
    Well for one I would take down the pic of a child that is not yours. I would be pissed to find my family member posting pics of my child and bitching about me. At two months my DS2 rolled onto his belly and slept. So you don't know if this is the case here. I also find your dig at the dad being a stay at home dad unnecessary info and so I feel you must be judging that. Honestly there is no way for you to not come across as a know it all nelly by sending info to a family member who you are not close to IMO. The way you worded your post is very Judgey so I can't imagine a message to them would be better. I think if you are close to them you could bring it up in a conversation to them casually but you need to step back from the old parents, dad comments to come across as actually helpful.
    Family member posted this photo today of their 2 month old sleeping. They have 2 young kids and now this one. Dad is a stay at home dad and cares for them, this is how he apparently puts them to bed. I'm having a heart attack because of the safety issues. Would you butt in if this were your family? They live out of state, are older parents (as am I). If I am overreacting, tell me. But this seems like a poster for SIDS risks. Thanks.

Thank you for your input. I posted the photo because the baby's face was not visible and so people would understand what I was worried about. I'll remove it at some point soon. No dig on the dad - there is a lot more to the family dynamic and there is a legitimate concern that he isn't up to date on baby safety, etc. As for the older parents remark, so much has changed as to what is safe, etc. I appreciate your honesty and you're right - I have to take a step back and think about this because I AM being very judgmental, especially because a baby may be at risk.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • That would give me a heart attack as well. It's right up there with not putting a kid in a car seat. I think it's worth mentioning, even if you aren't close to them.  Even if that baby can roll over by now, it's not safe to put blankets in the crib.  I would just say something that you saw the picture, and you were worried.  There are times to mind your own business, but I think a significant safety issue is not one of them.  Imagine how you would feel if something happened to the baby?  IMO, I would rather risk pissing off someone.  

And for what it's worth, I don't think you sounded judgmental in your post at all, just concerned.
    soylatte[Deleted User]MerryLoveAnnaRedhead
  • Loading the player...
  • jenn43 said:
    That would give me a heart attack as well. It's right up there with not putting a kid in a car seat. I think it's worth mentioning, even if you aren't close to them.  Even if that baby can roll over by now, it's not safe to put blankets in the crib.  I would just say something that you saw the picture, and you were worried.  There are times to mind your own business, but I think a significant safety issue is not one of them.  Imagine how you would feel if something happened to the baby?  IMO, I would rather risk pissing off someone.  

And for what it's worth, I don't think you sounded judgmental in your post at all, just concerned.
    Thank you!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Letting a baby sleep on it's stomach with a blanket around around its waist is not nearly the same thing as riding without a carseat FFS.
    How so?  

• Even if the baby is rolling and can sleep on his/her stomach, blanket is a huge no-no. IMO, its even more of an issue because the baby can roll. 

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Take it down from your post on your BMB, too. I can't believe no one over there didn't call you out for posting a picture of someone else's child. 
    It's DOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
    Sorry - have not been on here.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    jenn43
  • Idani said:
    You still didn't take down the pic. Seriously posting pics of someone else's kid is far more judge worthy than a pic of a baby that might have rolled on their belly sleeping and has a blanket. As far as nothing against the father.... So was calling him not the brightest tool in the shed also a not a dig?
    IT'S DOWN -  and yes, detective. THAT was a dig.
    Pregnancy Ticker
    jenn43
  • HighPeak said:

My baby sleeps with a blanket, has since she was about 10 weeks old, are you going to judge me too?

Oh, please. This baby was facedown with three fleece blankets on top of her. If that works for you, great, go for it. Call me paranoid. Call me extra cautious. Do what you want with your baby and try not to make things about you. Best to you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 3 fleece blankets were never mentioned as far as I can see, and babies roll. I'm also a paranoid parent, and there's nothing wrong with that, what's wrong is judging someone else as a parent.
    I removed the photo, it was the back of the babies head with three blankets piled on top of her. Did not realize it was a violation or that even though
    HighPeak said:
    3 fleece blankets were never mentioned as far as I can see, and babies roll. I'm also a paranoid parent, and there's nothing wrong with that, what's wrong is judging someone else as a parent.
    I edited original post since I took the photo down. I was not judging the situation, just explaining it. I did make a rude comment about the dad later - not very nice of me - but the entire family dynamic - which I won't go into - has me concerned in general for the baby's safety. It would concern anyone. Thanks for your response though.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • jenn43 said:
    Letting a baby sleep on it's stomach with a blanket around around its waist is not nearly the same thing as riding without a carseat FFS.
    How so?  

Because car accidents are significantly more common than death-by-blanket. 
    Actually, suffocation is the second leading cause of accidental death in children, after car accidents (https://www.childdeathreview.org/nationalchildmortalitydata.htm).  Poisoning is even less common, but that doesn't mean you're going to leave a bottle of bleach out where your toddler can get it.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"