November 2014 Moms
Options

Levi Emmett's Birth Story

Levi Emmett was born on November 21st at 3:57.  
On November 20th I went in for an NST and they found that my blood pressure was really high 155/109.  I never had and BP problems the entire pregnancy, but I guess my body had had enough.  I was 41w exactly and was planning on being induced 3 days later if I didn't go into labor naturally.  
So here's the story: 

-I was sent over to L&D, my sister was with me so I was feeling a little scared, but also really excited and ready to meet my son.  

-Called DH and he got last minute things I didn't bring with me.  

-Ate a nice dinner around 6pm

-Started Cytotec at 10pm.  

-I read a thread about Cytotec and the scary side effects on TB a few weeks ago but thought... "Oh that only happens to the unlucky ones"

-I was apparently an unlucky one. I was having constant contractions by 3 am and there was no stopping them. 

-8 am start pit. 

- I was mostly advancing on my own and was dilating more than a cm an hour on basically no pit.  

-around 10 am got an epidural.  All went well and felt instant relief.  They wanted me to lay on my back so that it spread evenly. 

-Feeling Good! DH went to get breakfast.  

- 15min later my nurse comes in to adjust baby's HB monitor.  

-2 min later another nurse comes in and asks everything is ok.  They have me lay on my left side.  

- another nurse comes in, asks if everything is ok.  They flip me again. Baby's HB had dropped down to the 80's 

-Give me oxygen. There were probably 7 nurses in my room at this time.   

-They laid me on my right side and baby's HB went up.  I was so glad DH didn't walk in and see that.  He would have totally freaked out.  He would have been fine if he was there from the get go, but to walk in and see it in the middle would have been a different story. 

- So I am laying on my right side baby's HB was resting around 150.  He wasn't moving really at all so they kept trying to flip me.  But every time they tried to flip me Levi's HB would drop. 

-They called down my OB because he wasn't moving.  I ate some more ice chips and guess what.... MOVEMENT! OB said as long as he stays like this we should be fine and don't have to do a c-section. 

- I was on my right basically the whole time staring at the monitor and chomping on ice chips if he wasn't moving.  

-Since I was on my right the epi started wearing off on my left. and I started feeling the contractions. However, at this point I was at an 8.5 and had been dilating very quickly.  I didn't want to up the dosage because I wanted to feel the pressure so I could push.   

-That's when things started to slow down (of course).  They upped my pit but Levi didn't like that and HB started to slow again so they lowered it again.  I still didn't want more of the epi and was just bearing with feeling all the contractions on my left side and nothing on my right.  

-a few hours later (totally lost track of time) I am at a 9.5-9.75 and I am in a lot of pain at this moment.  My nurse tried to have me push past the little bit of cervix that was holding on but we weren't successful at that.  I asked for more epi.  

-1 hour later(guessing really at the time) FINALLY I am at a ten and pushing while laying on right side. anesthesiologist walked in... and was quickly sent away.  Called OB.  

-OB arrives and I am crowning she jumps into her scrubs and they flip me to my back.  

-The pushing felt much better than just breathing through the contractions.  I pushed for about a half an hour. I felt like a mad woman because I knew little Levi must get out. DH said I had a couple moments in btw. pushes where I looked frantic... but for  the most part I was doing everything rhythmically and collected. It seems like a dream to me.   

-Levi arrives! I am kinda glad I didn't get the epi because I felt the ring of fire (which made me push harder) and I felt head, shoulders, knees, and toes come out.  Pretty cool experience. 

-The plan was for DH to cut the cord, but it was wrapped very tightly around his neck.  Levi came out unresponsive.  They had to resuscitate him.  It took 5 minutes.  They were slapping his feet, and giving him oxygen.  Me, all the while was praying to God that my little boy would wake up.  This was by far the scariest moment of my life and I still cry just thinking about it.  

-eventually I heard the best sound in the world.  Levi's faint and weak cry.  He was crying!!!!!! 

-They whisked him off to the NICU.  I didn't get to have skin to skin.  I could barely even see him in between the nurses working on him... but I knew he was going to get the care he needed. so even though, basically, everything I had dreamed of went to shit I just wanted him to be ok.  

-About an hour later the pediatrician came in and reported that Levi was doing well and screaming and yelling at all the nursing staff in the nursery.  There were signs of acidosis when he was born but a day later he was brought to our room with a clean bill of health :)

-I finally got to have a our skin to skin time and DH and I cried together with tears of joy over our brand new beautiful baby boy.  Our Little Levi.  

-we brought him home the next day and not ten minutes in the house he pees on me while daddy was changing him... oh boy I'm in for it :).  

-A couple other fun tid bits that have happened in the last week.  DH passed a kidney stone and the next night I had to go to the ER because my blood pressure was 168/105.   The last couple of days we have finally started to get a few hours sleep.  We have joked if Mom and Dad can get there shit together it would be easy sailing.  It seems like we are on our way to that (knock on wood). 

I can't believe that through all of that we have our beautiful boy and we are now officially a family.  This is the hardest, scariest, craziest, happiest, most exciting ride I've ever been on. If anything ever happened to this little boy there would be hole bigger than I could ever imagine.  It is so crazy that one week with my little Levi has already changed the rest of my entire life.    
  imageimageimageimage
Anniversary: 10/10/09
DS: 11/21/14
DD: 7/5/16

Re: Levi Emmett's Birth Story

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"