April 2015 Moms

worried momma

Has any other mom's/mom-to-be ever been told my the ultrasound doctors that your unborn child is gonna have kidney issues? My Dr told me at my A/S that my child has a dilated kidney (meaning its bigger then normal and they think there's a blockage. I'm not sure how I should react because now that means being monitored twice as close (being monitored for a small baby already). But he did tell me that 50% of all cases solve themselves before birth.

Re: worried momma

• I'm very sorry that you are going through this. I have no advice, but I'll be praying that it does resolve itself before birth!
  • Sending prayers that it resolves itself!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • PrpljadePrpljade member
    edited November 2014
    I don't know if it's the same really, my mom obviously had no idea cause well 1970 technology sucked(they told her I was a boy multiple times). I was born with only one functioning kidney. Didn't know this until I was in my 20's in the ER presenting with a possible kidney stone.

It is amazing the things the body will and can do. Typically there are two kidneys, which can vary slightly in size from person to person. However, it's often found when one is underfunctioning, blocked or otherwise compromised the second one will pick up the slack so to speak.

Now in my mid 30's I work with my DR regularly too monitor my bloodwork, ensure I avoid OTC and Prescription drugs that could do damage to my kidney and regulate my diet to ensure that my family history of diabetes (which can affect the kidneys) doesn't rear it's ugly head. With this pregnancy in fact I am taking my blood glucose up to 8x a day as my gestational diabetes testing came back borderline. Better safe than sorry right?

I guess my point is, it's high chance that even if there is a blockage to one kidney, they know about it, can monitor you and your LO as well as prevent further problems from this. I've for my FX for you that it resolves and you have a super healthy squishy baby in your arms in April.

edit cause autocorrect failse daily
    ^failse? Point made autocorrect. You win.
    BFP: 8.13.2014
    EDD: 4.23.2015

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFetus Ticker
  • No experience but really hope the issue resolved itself! Sending positive thoughts.

Me: 34 DH: 36

Married since 11/11/11
    BFP#1 10/5/13 MC 11/11/13 @9wks 3d
    BFP#2 7/20/14 EDD 4/4/15

• I am just lurking but DS2 has a dilated kidney. I was already being monitored closely because of pre term labor. His kidney was pretty dilated and we went to see a pediatric urologist before he was born for a consult. I highly recommend this step because it gives you a game plan.

When he was born they did several tests to determine the severity of the dilation and blockage as well as see if he had any kidney reflux. He is currently a very healthy 19 month old. We thought for sure he would need surgery but we have avoided it so far! He still goes to the urologist periodically for kidney ultrasounds to make sure nothing has changed. 

DS1: 4/15/2011
    Dx: ASD, SPD and receptive and expressive speech delay at 21 months
    BFP #2: CP 5/2012
    DS2: 4/24/2013
    BFP #4: Miscarriage at 5 weeks 7/2014
    BFP #5: 8/8/2014 Due 4/20/2015 
    Its a healthy girl!!!!! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I have experience. My first born showed a dialated kidney that was certainly blocked, but within 6 weeks it totally cleared itself up. She's now 3 and has ZERO troubles. Best of luck and thoughts and prayers to you and your baby!
  • T&P to you and baby. Hopefully things will resolve on their own.
  • I have no experience with this as a FTM but sending good thoughts your way. I hope everything turns out normal.
  • No advice but wishing that it resolves itself quickly so you don't have tp worry! T&Ps!
  • I don't have experience with this (Ftm and AS is in 2 weeks) but I hope everything resolves itself. Sending you positive thoughts!
    ***********siggy warning **********

Me: 26 DH: 27
    TTC #1 Since Aug. 2013
    Cycle 1: O CD 25=bfn
    Cycle 2: O CD 48=bfn
    Cycle 3: Anovulatory/Provera =120 days!
    Cycle 4: Anovulatory/Prometrium=127 days! RE consult 6/16
    Me: Anov/poss. pcos?  HSG=normal/SA= Normal 
    July/Aug. 2014= Femara+trigger+TI=BFP!!
    Beta #1@ 16dpo=626!! Beta #2=1510
    Ultrasound @ 5w6d=heartbeat at 110!
    Ultrasound @ 6w6d =heartbeat at 131!

Pregnancy Ticker

• My first son bad kidney issues that were detected at the A/S, and he had to be monitored. All was resolved before the birth, though, and he's never had another problem. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Good luck, sending positive thoughts your way. I hope it resolves on its own.
  • Thinking of you! Never dealt with a kidney issue. I do have a baby that was born small and stayed small until he started growth hormone shots. He gets a daily shot and has grown beautifully. Hang in there, so sorry you are going through this.
  • They told me that my baby might have the same thing. I was scheduled for a level 2 ultrasound 9 days later and when I went for that ultrasound there wasn't any sign of any dilation. They said that what it could've been was that when they took the pictures the baby needed to pee making it look dilated
  • My anatomy scan showed a slightly dilated kidney, 4.9mm; high end of normal is 4mm. The other was normal. My OB is not concerned because of the appropriate amount of amniotic fluid at this stage. The plan is to get another scan at 28 weeks. Both OB and Dr. Google say this is something that will most likely resolve given that there are no other indications of additional complications.

But this is how I look at it: Of course I want my baby to be perfect and healthy. Sometimes that doesn't happen. If there is to be an imperfection, there are worse things than this.

BabyFruit Ticker

November Siggy Challenge: Selfie Fails

Hidden for the sake of your eyes!

• Hearing that anything might be wrong is very scary. Sorry you are dealing with that. Sending you positive result thoughts, 
  • Thanks for the kind words ladies. We go back Christmas eve to check again and I'm hoping by then its resolved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"