1st Trimester
Options

xrays at 6 weeks..

Im 6 weeks pregnant and im suppose to be getting a OPG xray of my whole jaw because ive currently got othodontics.
I know small dental xrays can be okay but not the big xray ive been referred. Anyone had a similar situation?? Or know whats safe and what isnt?
I couldnt tell the dentist because its my boss and being early im waiting for the 12 week mark to break the news!

Re: xrays at 6 weeks..

• Options
    I'd check in with your obgyn first
  • Options
    Joy2611 before you go being rude..
    Like I said ive been given a refferal my boss isnt the one doing the xray but hes reffered me and this being my first child im waiting till the 12 week mark before I tell anyone. I would never value my privacy above my babys health.
    The xray isnt urgent, being a dental assistant I know that small digital xrays can be okay bbecause there done at a low dose but an OPG xray is completely different so I was looking for information from someone who has a better idea of that radiology.
    Thankyou for the helpful feedback :)

If youve got nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all! Thanks! !

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Joy2611 before you go being rude.. Like I said ive been given a refferal my boss isnt the one doing the xray but hes reffered me and this being my first child im waiting till the 12 week mark before I tell anyone. I would never value my privacy above my babys health. The xray isnt urgent, being a dental assistant I know that small digital xrays can be okay bbecause there done at a low dose but an OPG xray is completely different so I was looking for information from someone who has a better idea of that radiology. Thankyou for the helpful feedback :) If youve got nothing nice to say then dont say anything at all! Thanks! !
    You could tell this dentist your situation. To be honest Ive had my share of xrays and the first thing they ask is if there is a chance of you being pregnant. Just tell them you are and that you are not ready to share your news with your work. I would think with confidentality they shouldnt speak to your boss about it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Why were you referred out for digital images? Is your boss a dentist doing orthodontics or were you referred out to an orthodontist? 

Both the dentist and orthodontist should have a pan/ceph machine for diagnostics. If they referred you out to radiology for an iCat, just talk to the imaging facility. The iCat should have less radiation than a traditional pan/ceph. 

Is your GP dabbling in orthodontics? Ugh... do yourself a favor and go to an orthodontist. There is a reason they have advanced training. 

If your GP boss is having his ortho friend do the orthodontics, then tell him. He's not your boss, he's your doctor. 

User Banned You have been banned from posting on the forums until 01-11-2165 8:18 AM. The reason for this ban is Inappropriate Links or Signature. Please return to participate in the forums after the ban has elapsed.
  • Options
    The first trimester is when you're supposed to be the most careful. I would definitely not get an x-ray.
  • Options
    The first trimester is when you're supposed to be the most careful. I would definitely not get an x-ray.

Umm dental hygiene is very important especially when pregnant. Pregnancy tends to give women more dental issues as well.
    I understand that this is not am urgent need for OP but if it is something necessary trust your dentist.
    In my experience the dentist had to be given written permission to perform any dental work from my OB and gave me extra lead protection blankets. I would definitely trust my doctors in matters that concerned my health.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"