Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Bottle in evening when breasts run dry?

So my LC said I should never run out of breastmilk if my supply is otherwise normal, but I do believe my son is sucking me dry in the evenings! He's 3 weeks, and will nurse for nearly 2 hours at night (cluster feeds I guess?) and still act fussy and hungry when all is said and done. The past couple nights we've offered 2-3 oz of EBM, which he immediately polishes off then falls asleep. I have no other issues with my milk supply any other time of the day. Is this normal? Am I doing something wrong?

Re: Bottle in evening when breasts run dry?

• We did that.. And then I'd pump in the middle of the night when my supply was higher.. This would give me the bottle for the next night.. We still do this sometimes, we call it the "knock out bottle".. It works for us and I've never had to supplement. LO is almost 3 months now.
  • I have this same issue. My LO gets so upset and after so much cluster feeding, my nipples just cannot take it. We have been supplementing with a bottle during the night after I feel I have done all I can. I have been pumping once a day but that is never enough for her during these times. She usually takes the BM then we have to supplement with 1-2 ounces of formula before we can get her to sleep! She is just so hungry during the night, for us it is usually between midnight and 4am!
  • Loading the player...
  • Great advice! I really will try to cut out the bottle... It's hard when he's screaming his guts out, but we'll do our best! But I'm also VERY glad to know we're not alone in this
  • Completely normal for baby to cluster in the evening. You are never really dry. Once I accepted that it is normal, it didn't frustrate me as much. And 2-3 oz bottle is a lot for a baby that young. My baby is 3 months and he takes three oz in his bottle when I am at work.
    Finally! My September Siggy Challenge: TV Show I'll Be Binge Watching
    REVENGE!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • No, nurse more.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Sometimes in the evening around 7 or 8 DD would get incredibly fussy. I would try and nurse her and she would refuse. Finally out of desperation I tried some EBM in a bottle she took it down and passed out. I don't know if my body was just making less, or if it was just something different. My advise is if it works do it. There is no harm in it. In fact you try at least one bottle a day so that if you have to leave LO they will take a bottle. Just pump to replace the feeding so you don't get a dip in supply. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"