April 2015 Moms

Convertible car seats vs infant car seat

I apologize if a thread like this has been posted. I saw other car seat threads but nothing with my specific question. So, I have went to the stores and searched online at car seats. I'm a FTM and struggling what to get. I have seen great deals on convertible car seats but they look so big for infants, even though they say they fit at 5lbs. Have any other moms used a convertible seat and liked that better than getting an infant and buying as the baby grows.

Target has the britax marathon G4 on sale for $180 right now and from what I read seems like a good deal. However, it is also so hard to tell. Appreciate all your previous experience and your advice. Thanks! ;)

Re: Convertible car seats vs infant car seat

• We had an infant seat and will also be using it for this little one. My daughter always fell asleep in the car so it was nice being able to just take the car seat in with us especially if we were going out to eat. She would wake up if we took her out. Also this doesn't apply to this new baby but it was nice getting an infant settled in the car seat in the house before going out in the cold.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Actually, as a second time mom, we are forgoing the infant car seat and only buying a convertable car seat. While it was sort of convenient to be able to remove the car seat with baby in it if he fell asleep, that thing weighed about 100 tons , making it an extreme inconvenience to lug around. Plus, it was an expensive piece of gear that our son outgrew very quickly. Now, we are going to buy this new baby a convertable seat and keep one or two baby carriers in the car. Baby can sleep in the carrier.
  • Infant then a convertible. No way would I take a nb in and out of a convertible car seat. Just not happening. Ease of transportation and storage of the child. Carry with one hand and hold DD'S hand bs trying to carry a nb and wrangle a toddler. Nope. One is at least contained.

If you plan on having more kids you will get additional use of the seat. Most expire after a minimum of 5 years. Some 6 or 7. So you could use it for 2 or 3 babies.
  • I don't think its a waste of money, but I also don't think that it's a complete necessity.

In our case, we did get both...it was useful because of the activities that our family did/does where being able to carry a sleeping baby to or from the car, and having a place to put the little one down to rest while being involved in activities was very helpful.  For most trips to the store and such, I much preferred a sling/carrier.  The convertible seats do look huge, but they come with infant inserts (or are available separately) and buying just one type of seat does mean that you can perhaps spend more on one that will last longer.
  • I only used a convertible and it worked well for us. I put a lot of thought into the decision, and the reasons I choose to forgo the infant seat made sense for my situation.

My DS was not going to day care, this was important because he wasn't going to be in the car every day so the convenience of the removable seat didn't factor in to my day to day routine. He was staying in our home with my mom when I returned to work.

I wore DS a lot, I put him in a carrier when we went to the store or the mall so I never really had an issue bringing him in stores and things, plus I always had free hands.

My mom, who is retired, lives on our property so if I needed to go somewhere alone (like the Dr) she was there to stay with him for awhile.

I explained my reasons only because I think the option of the infant seat is truly worth it for a lot of people, I felt like in my situation I could do without, and I haven't regretted the decision but I can see why it would be invaluable to many people.

As far as a convertible being too big for a new born, DS was 7 lbs 12 oz when we left the hospital and he fit fine, we bought an insert for the seat that he used for a few weeks. Looking back we probably didn't need it. If you do this, just be sure it is the same brand as your seat and intended to be used in car seats (ie. crashed tested with the seat).

Good luck making your decision! We have a Britax Marathon and love it. That's a great deal so you may want to snap it up for the future if you decide an infant seat is the way to go!

BFP #1 4/10/12 D&C 6/5/12@ 12.5wks EDD 12/17/12
    BFP #2 9/10/12 CP 9/19/12@ 5.5wks EDD 5/21/13
    BFP# 3 12/3/12...Lukas James born 8/15/13
    BFP# 4 8/4/14 EDD 4/13/15

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• This may or may not matter for your particular situation, but another convenience factor for the infant seat is the easy and quick ability to change cars. If you have an extra base, it can go in your H's car and the only think you have to do when changing car seats is click. If you are a family where one parent will do DC drop off and the other will do pick up, it is nice to only need one seat for the first while. The infant seat should last about a year, give or take a bit.

photo f2800575-8c12-4491-8194-153c04d585b8_zps49b02af4.jpg
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I loved having an infant seat. Yes it is HEAVY to carry but I wasn't lugging it far. Mostly into the house from the garage or from the car to the stroller. It was worth it to not disturb a sleeping baby. DS is a slow grower and we used it until well over a year and he could have used it longer.
    imageimage
                                                                            A15 January Siggy Challenge- 

Workout/fitness fails 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I don't want to have to buy more than one. I'm getting a Peg Perego convertible. Pricy, but from what I've heard - worth it. I also love that they're the only car seat not made in China - they're manufactured in Italy.

We bought the peg perego for the same reason and love it. Although I did also buy an infant seat. I loved that the infant seat could go from car to stroller. Like everyone has said, it's nice if the baby has fallen asleep to bit have to wake them.
  • Many infant car seats are a part if the stroller set. You will likely need a stroller anyway, so the only added cost is a $30 car seat base.
    imageimage
  • steph0611 said:

I just couldn't see my infant in a convertible. We went with the Chicco Keyfit and then moved dd to a Graco convertible.

Us too!
  • If you do go straight to a convertible do extra research and make sure it will actually properly fit a newborn. I just bought an Alpha Omega Elite (really nice seat, supposed to rear face 5-40 lbs) for my one year old and she doesn't fit so no way a newborn would fit. :( The straps are supposed to come from below the shoulders for rearfacing but even on the lowest slot it's a good 4 inches above her shoulders.
  • The laws for car seats have gotten to the point you *have to* end up getting 2 seats, so it's a question of do you want the convenience of an infant seat or not?
    Britax is actually updating the infant seat in December I think so there are some really good deals on the older model right now. I saw them for as low as about$120 on Amazon.
  • Personally I'm very torn as a FTM. I don't think I'll do a whole lot of driving in the beginning and honestly, I'm short (5') with a bad back and i know how heavy those infant seats are. I'm not entirely sure i can carry it with a growing baby. So I'm very hesitant and unsure what to do.
  • I don't mind an infant carsest when for a newborn, but I prefer a reversable car seat. This is my fourth baby and I am using the reversable in my vehicle and my husband is usin an infant seat in his because he doesn't need one latched in.
  • @theinvadermothership‌ I hear what you're saying. My back isn't bad per say, but I had a lot of back pain when I had DS and I had a harder time with my back wearing him than I did carrying the car seat. But I just had a cheapo carrier so that could factor in as well too. Something to think about
  • I didn't want to have to buy two but the evenflo travel system was on sale at Walmart Canada for $99 so it was too good to pass up. This one goes up to 35lbs so it was perfect. I also scored a nice graco crib for $124
  • @hillbillywife‌ thanks for the info. I used to baby sit a lot and i always struggled with them (i haven't grown since 14...) so I'm really contemplating what to do. The only places i think I'd be going is to the grocery store and putting the seat into the cart isn't too bad... i don't know! So torn! There are pros and cons to both.
  • I'm sure you'll figure it out @theinvadermothership‌! If you find a good deal on an infant seat, you don't HAVE to take it out of the car. But if DH is with you then he can lug it etc. I've been seriously wondering why pregnant women have to make important decisions while they're pregnant lol. It's too much for me! Good luck!
  • Lol @hillbillywife‌ ! It's kinda true. You get pregnant and have to make some really important decisions. Obvious the responsibility comes with the territory but it's definitely a little overwhelming for a ftm. And tbh, my husband goes in and out of being super interested.

I was kinda thinking the same thing... if he is going with me, he can carry it, or we'll just have to deal with pulling baby out every time and wearing her or putting her in the stroller. Again, pros and cons to both sides.

My stupid moment was 'i wish the infant seats had wheels, so i could drag it and not have to hurt my back'... then i realized that's what a stroller is for... GO ME.
  • Get the Marathon!! Thats a great deal, mine was over $250 (and worth every penny)... You will get years of use out if it, regardless or your choice.

But I would never go without an infant seat also, personally. Look into a basic graco snugride if you want something inexpensive yet quality. Or grab a used carseat on craigslist if your not sure you will use it, but atleast have the option. I sold my last one for only $40 and it was like new. (Thought I was done with babies, whoops)...

This time I'm splurging on either a peg perego or chicco... Then hopping ds will be out of his marathon in time for new baby to graduate to it so i really get my moneys worth ;)

------
    It isn't a good idea to buy used car seats. You don't know the history of it like if it has been in an accident. Car seats need to be replaced after accidents.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• The biggest convenience of having the infant seat for me was the ease in moving it from one car to another. When DD was small I drove her to daycare every day and left the seat with her. I had a long commute that was prone to accidents making it twice as long. It gave me peace of mind knowing that if I wasn't able to get there to pick her up in time, DH or one of my in-laws could easily and safely take her home. When we had only one kid, it was super easy to buckle the seat into someone else's car and ride with them somewhere, and we also had two primary vehicles ourselves at the time but only needed to worry about one seat. I miss the convenience of that infant seat every time I have to try to move our convertibles from one car to another. I moved DS out of the infant seat a little before he turned one, but at 16 months he still fits and I sometimes have him use it if we need to ride in a different car (like when our's broke down recently) so that I only had to deal with moving one convertible seat.
  • IMO - a seat designed for an infant will do better for an infant rather than a one-size-fits-all would do for an infant.  sure the convertibles rated for 5-70+ pounds meet the minimum safety standards for a tiny baby- but perhaps something specifically engineered for a smaller weight range of 5-30 pounds would do better than minimum standards.

I use an infant seat for my infants and move them to convertibles when they outgrow the infant seat.

I also like the ability to carry the infant seat into the house/store/daycare if the baby is sleeping, rather than risk waking the baby by taking it out of the seat.

DD 7/2010, DS 3/2012, #3 due 4/24/2015

• rsaj0807 said:

@redneckmomma25‌ third time mom here, and I learn something new every single day! I did not know that!

So many don't know! Chances are nothing would happen but it doesn't make it any less dangerous.
  • We ordered a Britax B-safe based on family reviews and consumer reports. We actually found the car seat at Kohls and ended up saving a ton of money (we applied Kohls cash that we earned and an additional cyber Monday discount). Good luck on your search. I know it can be overwhelming!
  • @rsaj0807‌ that's good to know. I guess i will be asking at my next appointment. I kinda hope not bc I'm starting to really lean towards a convertible. Honestly i don't leave very often and don't expect to go anywhere much the first month or so. If i do grocery shopping it'll hopefully be when my hubby is home. Or I'll send him with a list or whatever. But that would be really sucky to not be prepared and then not be able to leave the facility...
  • Thanks for all the advice. @somerandomchick‌ what car seat did you get?
  • Our hospital inspected the car seat in the vehicle. They made sure the seat was installed properly and a proper car seat. No idea if they care about bucket vs convertible.
  • My daughter was only 5lbs when we left the hospital and barely fit in her infant seat. There's no way I would have been comfortable with her in a convertible. We are reusing her seat for my son so I don't have to worry about buying another one but I would without hesitation. My daughter would wake up when I took her out of her seat and she HATED being worn :( we never would have been able to leave the house otherwise.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"