February 2015 Moms
Options

I feel conflicted (clicky)

foxslawfoxslaw member
edited November 2014 in February 2015 Moms

I have a small dilemma.
TLDR; my mom wants to bring a lot of food to our house for thanksgiving & my DBF isn't happy about it.

As I've told you all, my mom & sister are driving to Austin to have Thanksgiving with DBF & I. The plan is that we are going to his grandma's to eat (it'll be his ENTIRE family), and my mom was given the green light to make a dessert (which she's doing). The thing is, that this is the first year since she's become an adult that she's not hosting/cooking thanksgiving (and she's kind of obsessive about the holidays) so she wants to bring some food for our house to eat Friday/Saturday. I didn't think this would be a problem, because it's food that I'm familiar with (and would honestly kind of miss if I didn't have it at some point this weekend) and we aren't bringing it to the main family thanksgiving, but just keeping it at our house. The thing is, is that she over does everything & DbF is interpreting it as us wanting to sneak in a second thanksgiving to which his family is not invited. He also said that he doesn't like leftovers so he wouldn't eat any anyway. He's really offended & just kind of griping in general that my mom wants to bring all this food. She wants to make a turkey, cranberry relish, stuffing, & a sweet potato casserole. I feel caught in the middle & don't know whether I should tell DBF to get over himself OR if I should tell my mom that she need to back off a bit.

What do I do?!

I feel conflicted (clicky) 195 votes

You should tell your mom to dial it back
10% 21 votes
More food is *always* the answer
64% 125 votes
Bring some sides, but not a turkey
22% 43 votes
SS
3% 6 votes

Re: I feel conflicted (clicky)

• Options
    I will take it! lol. More food is always good.
    TTC since May/June 2012 
    Sept 2013 testing:
    SA #1 Low motility (17%) 
    SA #2 Lower sperm count, but much higher motility
    CD 3 Bloodwork and ultrasound - Normal HSG - Clear tubes 
    Oct/Nov 2013 Cycle 1 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN  
    Nov/Dec 2013 Cycle 2 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    Jan/Feb 2014 Cycle 3 with RE 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI BFN 
    2/20/14 Follow up consult RE recommends IVF with ICSI 
    3/10/14 New patient consult with RMA NJ 
    3/11/14 AMH and other Bloodwork to prep for IVF with ICSI at RMA NJ
    3/28/14 Saline Sonogram - All good
    March/April 2014 IVF #1 Antagonist Protocol
    BCP/Bravelle/Menopur/Ganirelix
    4/16/14 ER 26 Retrieved!!!
    4/17/14 Fert Report 22 Mature 21 Fertilized w/ ICSI
    4/22/14 Report #2 15 BLASTS
    5/24/14 FET!!!  (Transferring 2 snowflakes)
    6/2/14 Beta #1 575!!! :)
    6/4/14 Beta #2 2060!!! :)
    6/11/14 1st Ultrasound...Saw 2 Gestational Sacs!!  Beta #3 34,312!!! 
    6/18/14 2nd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 112bpm Baby B 117bmp <3 Beta #4 172,080!!!
    6/25/14 3rd Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 150bpm Baby B 158bpm <3 Beta #5 232,134!!! 
    7/3/14 4th Ultrasound...Heartbeats!! Baby A 173bpm Baby B 162bpm <3 Beta #6 269,228!!!
    Graduated from RMA!!  First appt with OB 7/8/14

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    image image
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks. I'm really trying to see it from his perspective, but it makes no sense to me! @lizzybean
  • Options

Who doesn't eat thanksgiving leftovers?

He hates leftovers in general.
  • Options
    I remember reading that you don't like traditional thanksgiving food. So I guess he can eat all he wants at his moms and you can feast on the food you're familiar with! More for him, more for you! Win-win.
  • Options
    I can kinda see it from his view but maybe just explain the importance to
    Your mom to him and maybe he will understand. If it's important to you as well to have those things and leftovers then explain that is well.

Plus leftover thanksgiving turkey is better than warm turkey :)
  • Options
    ccuffari said:

I remember reading that you don't like traditional thanksgiving food. So I guess he can eat all he wants at his moms and you can feast on the food you're familiar with! More for him, more for you! Win-win.

Yeah, I'm just nervous that he's taking it as me *deliberately* not embracing his family or his thanksgiving. It would break my heart for him to think I don't want to be a full part of his family. We are doing Christmas at my house in Houston this year.
  • Options
    foxslaw said:

Crazy man. :) But I agree with PP, especially @Alygohome‌
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm no help :(. I just am really hungry (waiting for the food to be done) and my only answer is food. Sorry :(
  • Options
    Is there a point during their visit that you are going to have a meal at your house? If yes, bring the food. Just make sure to play it down so it's not a second thanksgiving that his family is not invited to.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    foxslaw said:
    I generally don't eat leftover, but will gladly eat Thanksgiving leftovers! There's just something great about it, can't explain what. Maybe I just love the food and holiday so much itself that I'm willing to eat it again! You can just send what he doesn't eat here... More food is always the answer on Thanksgiving!  :D
  • Options
    They are coming and and going to his family's house today right? So it's not excluding them if they are coming and spending actual thanksgiving with his family. My perspective is that she is saving you from having to cook and it's just comfort having your mom try and take care of you. She's taking care of her baby just like you guys will do!

Omg....just realized this will be us someday and cue tears.

Good luck @foxslaw‌ !
  • Options
    I think BF needs to grow up, but for peace I might mention to mom that she shouldn't bring more than you guys would be able to eat in the few days, otherwise it will go to waste. Just as a way to ask her to dial it back with out asking her that. Am I making sense?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Feb'15 November Siggy Challenge:
  • Options
    I think your bf is being a little sensitive and there's nothing wrong with your mom bringing more food to cook at your house. But I also think @dorothygale01‌'s suggestion is a good one so it doesn't feel like a second thanksgiving.
  • Options
    Thanks guys! All amazing advice! They are both very sensitive people (Cancer vs. Scorpio) so I just didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings!
  • Options
    My husband and I have done two thanksgivings every year for almost ten years so that both families can have their traditions, their food, and feel the love. To want only ONE family to get the "official" thanksgiving is a little selfish, but to refuse to eat "leftovers" a day or two later when your mom seems really willing to be flexible for your sake is just plain rude.
    Sorry for saying he's being rude, but honestly! Suck it up and eat a damn roll, dude! Or go pick up frickin mcdonalds and leave you guys alone, and be that guy. But he shouldn't make it your problem. Sorry for rant.
  • Options
    I guess I was just concerned that I'm being selfish (which he voiced when we were talking about it) so I wanted some outside opinions to see if my head was screwed on straight/what to do about it.
  • Options
    Maybe it's because we're lacking in funds lately (err... Perpetually?) but I'd say free food??? YES!
  • Options
    I voted for holding back the turkey. Explain to your mum that you don't want a turkey, and explain to bf that your mum likes to cook and would feel uncomfortable if she doesn't. You're all compromising and that's how a family works. He needs to realize that he can't just get butthurt over something as trivial as someone volunteering to feed you, there are many more challenges ahead and it's all about give and take to maximize the collective pool of happiness.

More food at home means more time for you to relax! Am I the only one really having issues with your bf not liking leftovers? If DH ever tells me he minds leftovers, he'd have to cook for himself!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    DBF does 99% of the cooking in our house, otherwise we would certainly be eating leftovers pretty often. Haha. @PikoPiko‌
  • Options
    foxslaw said:

I guess I was just concerned that I'm being selfish (which he voiced when we were talking about it) so I wanted some outside opinions to see if my head was screwed on straight/what to do about it.

Ummmmm. No. You're not being selfish. Wow is your bf lucky.
  • Options
    We consider ourselves lucky to have two thanksgiving dinners - one with my ILs and one with my family. I don't see your mom bringing food for you guys for another day as rude or not embracing his family (if she tried to bring it THERE that would be overstepping). I love that since I've been with H we get double the celebrations, we don't pick one family or exclude another, we celebrate with both, which sounds like what your mom wants to do. It's thanksgiving, I vote be grateful for family who want to celebrate with you and lots of good food!
                                                  *********************SIGGY WARNING*************************
                                        May 14 Siggy                                             
    TTC #1 since June 2012.  DX: Unexplained Infertility.  Me: Hypothyroid
    3 Failed Femara + TI cycles and 4 Failed Injects + B2B IUI cycles
    Cycle 23: IVF#1 CoQ10 + Lupron + Puregon = BFP!!
    Beta #1: 199   Beta #2: 800+   It's TWINS!  EDD: Feb 19, 2015
    Team Purple!!!!
    L & E arrived early on January 5, 2015!!
    ~~~All are welcome!~~~

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I think that if you were capable of dealing with the double-decker couch for several months he should be able to accept extra food in the fridge for a few days...

A to the MEN. He's got his panties in a wad if he is upset that your houseguests are preparing you guys dinner. The only suggestion I would have - besides telling him to get over it, is maybe cook a beef roast or ham instead of turkey. Then it would be a different meal.
    Tell your mom to cook me 2nd thanksgiving too! :D
    Anniversary 

• Options
    Food should never be an issue.
  • Options
    I vote for food. Its not like she's trying to make you eat that instead of his family's dinner. Its just one less thing to worry about for the weekend and you can just spend time with your mom and sister
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    So how'd it go?
  • Options
    @foxslaw glad you got things worked out!
  • Options
    I think that if you were capable of dealing with the double-decker couch for several months he should be able to accept extra food in the fridge for a few days...

Rotf lmao!! This plus food is always a good thing!!
    -------------------------------
    Sarah, 35 bumping from NE Ohio
    Married my love 4/22/2006
    DD born 10/12/2009
    DS born sleeping 2/23/2013 full trisomy 18
    Baby 3 due 2/13/2015
    Pregnancy Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"