April 2015 Moms
Options

EIF on ultrasound?

my doctor told me there is an echogenic intracardiac focus on my baby's heart when we did the last ultrasound. She didn't explain this very well and I kind of felt as if I was being rushed out. I looked it up and saw that it could be a marker for Down Syndrome, so now I'm worried. Everything else on the anatomy scan was normal, I was just wondering if anyone else had experienced this and how everything turned out.

Re: EIF on ultrasound?

• Options
    I just posted almost the same thing! I have an appt with a genetic counselor, follow-up ultrasound, and high risk dr in 2 weeks. My NT scan was normal. Hope it all works out for you!
  • Options
    I haven't, but I hope you can get some answers soon! Perhaps a call to your doctor is in order so you can get additional information now that you've had time to think about it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Andplusalso, I came across a study that cited 11% of normal healthy pregnancies have this marker with no other signs and it usually disappears in 3T
  • Options
    I had this with my first daughter and she is fine. It is a soft marker. I would not worry unless you had other tests indicating DS. For me they just repeated the US in several weeks and everything was fine.
  • Options
    I don't have any experience with this, I am sorry you are faced with this worry. I'm sure it's stressful.

Also, every time I see the title of this post I think it says "elf on ultrasound" and I get mental image of the elf on a shelf in your u/s photo.
  • Options
    I has this with DS and he's totally healthy. It's fairly common and often resolves on it's own.
  • Options
    Same thing for my female twin. My blood works, the NT scan and the rest of the anatomy scan was okay so the midwives aren't concerned.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    My baby also has an EIF. I was very worried about it (still worried now, but I have calmed down a bit - very hard to do as you always want everything to be perfect). My SIPS tests showed a 1:14000 chance that Baby has DS, so I am trying to be reassured by the numbers. Hubby is Asian too and I was told EIFs are more common in people of Asian ancestry. Ease your mind with more info straight from your doctor. I made an appointment right away to discuss the results... Made me rest a little easier as Google can scare people. I will be thinking of you. Treat yourself well and take care of you during this time.
  • Options
    ugh I just read this one, and I feel terrible for thinking you wrote Elf and not EIF.  I thought I was opening it to find a joke like the turkey u/s.  I hope that everything turns out ok! 

Factor V Leiden Homozygous, Advanced Maternal Age

TTC #1, 5 yrs, PCOS, Femera + Ovidrel.

IUI#3 BFP, DD 5/31/2012

TTC #2, 2 yrs, PCOS, Femera+Ovidrel

IUI#2 BFP!

• Options
    Just had my ultrasound today and also have EIF. Even though it's the only soft marker--everything else looks great--and my first trimester screenings were all low risk, dr recommended Matern21 test. He said he wouldn't do an amino. Will get the results in 10 days, and I did it since it's only a blood test, but now questioning if it was even necessary or just the dr's covering themselves.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"