March 2015 Moms
Options

Maternity Leave Money Making Suggestions

So i will be taking between 6-8 weeks off for maternity leave depending on how the birth goes. We have been saving and what my SO makes alone is enough to cover our expenses but things will definitely be tight for us because i won't have any kind of maternity pay and won't qualify for short term disability. I know that taking care of a new born is like a full time job but was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on any kind of money making ventures that i could do during my leave. I'm not talking about making thousands of dollars or anything just something to earn some extra cash while at home. Did anyone have any luck with Avon or 31 or scentsy maybe? I don't know how those work so i don't know if that would be feasible. Or anything else would be helpful

Pregnancy Ticker

imagephoto pgal_zps8d04c926.pngphoto mom2015_zpsb124dd59.pngimage

March 15' January Siggy Callenge: Animals Being Jerks
photo jerks_zpsk4p1dtwb.gif

photo candle_zpslg8yegqf.gif
For @suzyq0525 and all of our other M15 loss moms

Re: Maternity Leave Money Making Suggestions

• Options
    I am in the same boat. I don't know what I'll do for money. I'm an Arbonne consultant but that shizz is expensive and no one wants to buy it (skin care/nutrition/make up).

I'm wondering if my job will let me work part-time from home, that way I can do work while the baby sleeps. At least, that's my hope.

Speaking of this- when do you gals give notice of your maternity leave date intentions and duration? I can take UP TO 12 weeks, but haven't decided if I want the whole thing? (Definitely based on money) but I feel like I need to tell them soon, and with this placenta previa, I may deliver earlier than my due date by a couple of weeks.

Suggestions?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also, my DH does surveys for money sometimes. It does not generate a lot of income at all, but it gives him a little extra amazon spending money. He makes $1-$2 a day. Again, not a lot, but it's an easy way to make a buck or two if you do a survey while nursing or something like that.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I was able to get a part-time home based job lined up through my current company.  So I'll be doing that once the baby is born.  Not sure if your employer offers any sort of home-based opportunity but it's worth asking!  

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    drudolph11drudolph11 member
    edited November 2014
    I have heard of Etsey but didn't really know what it was. My mom and grandpa have an eBay business on the side and they go to auctions to buy stuff to resell. I was hoping to maybe start doing this with them. I am def not crafty but I will have to look up suggestions on things i might be able to do

@lawsonellis‌ i plan on working until my due date. I work for a small family owned restaurant so luckily we have it all worked out that my maternity leave will start when i go into labor lol I'm trying to work as long as i possibly can. My boss, with the best intentions possible, thinks im crazy and thinks i should stop working now because of the snow since my job requires me to trek around in the snow all day and really my SO would love for me to do that but unfortunately financially we can't afford for me to take any extra time off than i need.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @JCWhitey‌ lol i work for a small Italian restaurant so unless i can convince him to let me make pasta at my house then nope prob not! Haha but i can def do some online research and see if there is maybe some other kind of part time at home opportunities out there
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @JCWhitey‌ lol i work for a small Italian restaurant so unless i can convince him to let me make pasta at my house then nope prob not! Haha but i can def do some online research and see if there is maybe some other kind of part time at home opportunities out there
    Yeah... you'd probably need a commercial kitchen for that!  

I'm actually working on my company's website and social media accounts during my maternity leave.  Would that maybe be an option?

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    I do a walk from home job, I started Sept 2013 when we needed some extra cash and its been great. You make your own hours and essentially just login and pick up work from an online queue whenever you have a little block of time. You make an hourly wage but are an independent contractor so no taxes are paid upfront, meaning you have to be smart and put some aside each month to cover taxes when you do your taxes. I work between 15-20 hours a week on average and make a decent amount of money. You sign a NDA when you work for this company though so I cannot put more detail or the name here on the bump otherwise I would give you more info right here. PM me if you want the website and details for how to apply! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Pregnancy Ticker
    image <3 Suzyq 
  • Options
    I will try to pick up some proofreading work, and I may also look into some transcription work.
  • Options
    @JennyP0222‌ as soon as i am not on mobile i will PM you. Thank you!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    drudolph11drudolph11 member
    edited November 2014
    Yea we are def doing all we can to cut down on expenses. We downgraded our cable plan cuz we really only watch 2 channels. We're about to re evaluate our cell phone plan cuz i feel like we pay way to much for it. We had to move which took a big bite out of what we had saved but in the long run it will be cheaper where we live now. We had to get a small loan from my grandpa to get the place we have which will be all paid back right when the baby is born so that will help a lot. My employer doesn't offer insurance so i have State insurance which lacks in some sense but covers absolutely all pregnancy expenses. Before, during and after including the hospital which is freaking wonderful. So luckily that's one thing i don't have to worry about.

Thanks for the great advice so far everyone!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I work for our state WIC program and most likely you are already or will be eligible income wise when you are on maternity leave, this would help a lot with groceries and formula (if you formula feed- that stuff is expensive!). I fully plan on applying to WIC when I am on maternity leave b/c we will only have one income too.
    Me: 29, DH: 29
    TTC since March 2014
    BFP 6/23/2014
    EDD: 3/3/2015 BOY! Connor James

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @PHNJenna‌ lol already on that! Signed up as soon as i found out that i was pregnant. It's a great program but oh god trying to figure out those damn checks... lol its rough. The first time we went to the store we just messed everything up... wrong brand this and wrong size that lol we were in line for 45 minutes just trying to figure out what to get haha hopefully the next trip will go a little smoother lol
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I haven't done it, but I have several friends that sell Scentsy, and they say it's fun and easy. I know I'm addicted to it :) I have a couple of friends that sell those 31 bags, but I don't think they sell too much because that shiz is expensive. Not very helpful, but good luck to you!
  • Options
    Newspaper routes here can pay up to $1000/mth and only take a few hours in the early am (maybe your SO could watch LO). Also I do secret shopper type (showhomes, restaurants, etc) things that pay $50/shop, so one a week could be fun money or a bill or something,
    Andrea (31), married Aaron (36) September 2012
    Parents to fur babies Tiki and Gizzmo and 2yr old Georgia
    IF veterans; #1 conceived on second clomid+HCG+IUI, #2 conceived on 1st Letrozole+HCG+IUI
    EDD: Feb 5, 2018

• Options
    Furniture refinishing seems to be a big thing these days... Especially using chalk paint and then distressing things to look antique. You can get cheap pieces at a thrift store and mix the paint yourself instead of buying the expensive Annie Sloan stuff. It can be a bit labour intensive, but it's a simple enough process and you can sell the pieces for a lot more than your initial investment. I've been thinking of doing this myself, but I'm too OCD - been working on my china cabinet for three weeks (the whole process is designed to be doable in a day).

Married the most patient man on the planet:  May 16, 2009
    Me:  30; DH:  30

BFP:  June 25, 2014; EDD:  March 9/10, 2015
    4 fur babies:  2 dogs & 2 cats

Pregnancy Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    I sell Tastefully Simple and unlike some of the other in home businesses you get your 30% off your orders so you make the money instantly (rather then putting the money in upfront for the parties and getting your quarterly check).  I had to put in some money for the start up pack (but if you are actually interested PM me and I can see if there are any half off deals coming up or we can explore other options for you to save on the start up).  I got my start up pack for $100 off or 50% off (I don't remember).  It's been fun & easy & I've enjoyed it.  I don't do it full time but there are ladies that do.  I mostly focus on friends & family and it has been profitable for me. I plan to take the month of March off but then do parties in April & May for extra cash.  And I'll use some of my sales to order the freezer meal kit to stock away for while I'm out :)
    Married the love of my life June 18, 2011 -- Me (28) DH (29)
    TTC #1 since June 2012
    BFP #1 6.29.12 EDD 3.12.13 MMC discovered 8.11.12 9w5d D&C 8.15.12
    BFP #2 11.2.12 EDD 7.14.13 MMC 6w5d discovered 8w6d 2 failed rounds miso D&C 12.27.12
    BFP #3 8.5.13 EDD 4.18.14 MMC 7w4d discovered 9.25.13 at 10w6d -Trisomy 13- 1 round miso & emergency D&C 10.2.13
    RPL Testing. DX Asherman's November 2013. Low AMH (0.44) January 2014. 
    Operative Hysteroscopy January 2014 to remove scar tissue.
    BFP#4 6.18.14 EDD 3.3.15 Team Pink
    --AL always welcome--
  • Options
    @cafecreme‌ i heard that selling pregnancy tests can be a very lucrative business Bahaha :P
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Small Ideas for extra spending cash gift cards:

Swagbucks: Join Swagbucks and get points for surfing the web, surveys, printing out coupons, etc. 450 points = $5 Amazon Gift card. You could prob get one per week depending on usage.

Viggle: Get points for checking into TV shows (although redemption of points is really hard)

Shopkick: If you go shopping a lot, use your smartphone to check into stores

Ebay/Amazon FBA: Sell things online. The nice thing about Amazon FBA is that you send everything at once in one large shipment and then get paid when people order (I haven't done it yet)

Etsy: Already mentioned but good for crafters

Zazzle, Cafepress, etc: If you are creative, punny, artist, etc. you could make t-shirts/designs etc and sell them

Blogging: Set up a blog now and try to drive some traffic and have affiliate links in popular posts, this is definitely not a guarantee or get rich thing, but could be something over time, especially if you get a lot of repins.

Mystery Shopping: You can get paid $20-$50 for reviewing different places as a mystery shopper. Mobee is a mystery shopping app that pays less and in gift cards but it's easy to use.

PerkTV: Watch videos on your smartphone

Amazon Mechnical Turk: Do very small jobs for Amazon that computers can't do. They pay very, very little but you do get paid fast.

Elance: It's a freelance site where you can apply for freelance jobs but it is really competitive especially administrative and entry level jobs

Become a Virtual Assistant or something similar: Maybe you could find a VA job or call center for a few hours?

You can also do surveys but I find them really boring. I'd recommend Pinecone Research though if you do try one. It pays $3 per survey and pays timely. 

I've done most but not all mentioned above, so let me know if you have any questions. Good luck :)

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh, on the topic of freelance writing, contentrunner.com is a great site. I haven't done it recently, but I've written 4-5 articles and got 10$ for each. Not bad for about 5 hours of work. 

image image
    imageimage
  • Options
    The house right across the street from me is a buisness. Commercial plumbing. They are very friendly and my H talks with the owner quite often (we use their driveway on the weekends when they aren't there and we have friends over since we don't have a huge driveway)
    I'm thinking about asking if they have any work I could do from home. Stuff and address envelopes ect

Married the love of my life: 5-17-14

BFP:6-27-14

EDD:3-11-15

Step Mom to Z: 4-11-06

IT'S A BOY!!!!!!

• Options
    You can always sign up for Swagbucks. It's an online website where you complete tasks online and earn points, then redeem for gift cards. So far, I've been able to stock pile a ton of diapers/wipes/and other things for free. It's not cash, but you can get paypal, walmart, cvs gift cards to purchase every day needs.
  • Options
    Aeml1985 said:

Newspaper routes here can pay up to $1000/mth and only take a few hours in the early am (maybe your SO could watch LO). Also I do secret shopper type (showhomes, restaurants, etc) things that pay $50/shop, so one a week could be fun money or a bill or something,

This is exactly what my current job status is. Newspaper route also brings good tips if you really take care of your customers. Secret shop and such is great fun once you get good at it!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"