September 2014 Moms

First (short) road trip with LO

This weekend we will be taking a 2.5 hour road trip with LO. She will be 9 weeks this weekend and her startle reflex is still pretty bad, and especially bad in the car while going over bumps. She wakes herself up and then screams because she is terrified. She hates being swaddled, but I'm thinking that might be our only option if she's sleeping so that she doesn't constantly wake herself up. Any suggestions of other things we could do to help tame the startle reflex in the car? Also, I plan to ride in the back with her so that should hopefully help.

Re: First (short) road trip with LO

• We just took 1.5 hour trip last week. I rode in back with LO a little when she was getting fussy. I sang to her and made sure she had her binky. She did really well.
  • Swaddling in the car seat is not safe. You could buckle her in like normal then tuck a light blanket over her arms tightly, as long you have a mirror so you can see that she doesn't get the blanket on her face. I do this sometimes when my lo falls asleep during the day and want her to sleep without startling herself awake. Have a safe and hopefully uneventful road trip!

• Loading the player...
  • @pshaortao‌ is there a reason it's not safe? I've never tried it, but the swaddle me wraps have a car seat buckle hole, so I thought they could be used in the car seat.
  • I recall a discussion about it some time ago, that it's not FAA approved for car seat safety. Did some research on reasons:

Nothing should go between baby & the actual seat unless the car seat manufacturer specifies that the product is made for their seat (ie. infant insert, seat manufacturers head cushion insert, etc). It can cause fit issues that can affect the seats performance in an accident. Unless the car seat manufacturer made it for their specific seat the product has not gone through car seat crash testing. It may ultimately be fine, but there is no tested evidence that supports its use AND it would/could void your warranty or even affect your insurance companies replacing the seats after an accident.

In the end, it may be fine, it's a personal choice. I wouldn't blame you if it's the only way to keep your LO calm for the road trip. A crying baby in the car is difficult, especially if it's for a drive over a couple hours long! Ultimately, it's your choice what you decide to do. The tucking in a light blanket after LO has already been buckled has worked for me.

• We are taking our 7 week old on an 8 hour road trip tomorrow. For some reason I'm not that nervous for it! He loves the car. I'm not looking forward to stopping to nurse, but it is what it is! Good luck and happy thanksgiving!!
  • lmimms87 said:
    @pshaortao‌ is there a reason it's not safe? I've never tried it, but the swaddle me wraps have a car seat buckle hole, so I thought they could be used in the car seat.
    Is that was it is? I just thought it was a butt vent so you could tell if diapers were dirty... and I think I'd prefer my use more.. I think being tied down in the car seat is probably restrictive enough.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @RedBaramid‌ lol I got mine as hand me downs from my sister and I thought she had just torn a hole in it... Now that I think about it I don't know why I thought she would have torn the same hole in 2... Sleep deprivation.

But I also don't see how a car seat buckle would go through the back - am I missing something?
  • @barbiedoesbaby  Youtube it, I found a youtube video that shows how it is done because I was super confused. I think my LO would HATE it, and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable swaddling in seat.. but it seemed simple once I found a video of someone doing it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My mind is blown. I always assumed the hole was for diaper checks too.

*O17 June Siggy Challenge - You had 1 job!*
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice!! We'll try a blanket instead! Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Have a safe and fun holiday!!
  • @barbiedoesbaby  Youtube it, I found a youtube video that shows how it is done because I was super confused. I think my LO would HATE it, and I honestly wouldn't feel comfortable swaddling in seat.. but it seemed simple once I found a video of someone doing it.

I was curious so I you tubed it.... Well I'll be damned... I was envisioning the chest straps over the swaddle. I still don't think I would do it though.
    image"funny">imageimage
    Mom of Boys!!

Baby #1 - 3 years old
    Baby #2 - Born 10/1/14

• lmimms87 said:

@pshaortao‌ is there a reason it's not safe? I've never tried it, but the swaddle me wraps have a car seat buckle hole, so I thought they could be used in the car seat.

I totally thought it was a diaper check hole top. Thanks for mentioning this though. It's good to know if I ever need to use it. More importantly if you can use it in the car then you can probably use it in the swing which could be a life saver when DD is really losing her mind during the witching hours.
  • Just an update for you all - the trip went pretty smoothly! We decided to just use a blanket wrapped tightly over her arms because she wasn't asleep when we left. She slept peacefully like that for about an hour!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"