Teacher holiday gift — The Bump
Pre-School

Teacher holiday gift

I know - it's early. But I'm a little crazy when it comes to planning :)

DS goes to an integrated pre-K classroom with 3 awesome teachers. 15 kids in the class. Half the kids also get at least 1 type of therapy during the week. DS sees 4 different therapists. So I have at least 7 teacher gifts to consider. Plus his school bus driver/matron.

I always liked just being able to pitch into a group gift but knowing the parents from the class, I don't see it happening - don't think anyone will coordinate it. I am considering coordinating the group gift myself and sending out a letter for it.

When is the right time to send out the letter? Right after Thanksgiving seem OK?

And how would you deal with the therapists gift - since only half the kids see therapists and they see various ones? Should I just skip that?

TIA!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Teacher holiday gift

• If you want to coordinate a group gift for the teachers, I think that's fine.  If you also want to give a gift to the  therapists, just pick something small and do it individually, since the therapists see different kids and it's harder to coordinate.

As a parent, I am not a huge fan of the "whole class" gift.  I know -- it allows you to give something really big and meaningful to the teacher.  However, I dislike it because it removes the child from the equation.  I like for my child to have the experience of thinking about what to get his or her teacher.  That's harder to achieve if I'm just writing a check to another mom.

Also, as a teacher, I often receive holiday or end of year gifts from students and families. It's nice for an English teacher to get a gift card to a book store or even to a restaurant, but the "gift" I treasure most is a handwritten note, picture, or letter from the student.  I post these in my department office with my own children's artwork.  I never throw them away because I treasure each one.  Kids will come to visit from college and see a thank-you card they made for me in 9th grade still taped to the wall above my desk!  Another awesome gift is when a parent writes me an email specifying how I've made an impact on their child and cc's my supervisor or principal.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Our preschool does that but it goes through the board. It may not hurt to run it by them first.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would just do the individual gifts
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers