March 2014 Moms

Anyone's LO suddenly dislike bath time?

Ugh..Levi is dirty!  Well, not really I am washing him down  with a washcloth, but my previously lover of bath time is crying and not enjoying his baths.  When I put him in the infant tub he tries to pull up or turn over or get out, I stop him of course so then I tried sitting him in the tub with just 2ish inches of water and he freaked out.  We have done that 3 times... When my older boys were this age they sold little rings for babies old enough to sit up in but they must have been deemed unsafe as parents probably walked off.. anyway suggestions? ideas?  How to make Levi love getting clean again?

Re: Anyone's LO suddenly dislike bath time?

• Get in the bath with him! We do that when we're in a pinch. That way both of us actually get clean! But if he nurses I suggest wearing a bikini top. Holland likes to pinch my nips. :-w
    BabyFetus Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • J hates being in the bath by himself. What we're currently doing is one of us gets in with him and the other hands him in and takes him out.
  • Loading the player...
  • Not sure if it will work but we have this little bath chair for her, she sits in it with a toy and is generally pretty occupied. We just fill the water up a few inches so part of her seat is submerged. This is pretty similar to what we have

stuck in box... I might try that, but I'd have to buckle him in that is the issue with the kind of tub I have now, he tries to pull up, he turns over and gets upset because I won't let him
  • Yes, I've tried showering with him... he hated it and screamed.  I do not care to get in the bath with him but I may resort to trying it.  Thanks ya'll just wondering if other's were unhappy sitting back and slapping the water.
  • Holland doesn't like to lay back in the water. She mainly sits up. She's uneasy with being too surrounded by water.
    BabyFetus Ticker

• LO likes her bath much better if there is a mirror so she can see herself.
  • That is a good idea @fish8412... hmm trying to figure out how I can hold one for him and also make sure he doesn't stand up (which means a crash several seconds later)
  • I agree with @kaking78‌ and @NanaCook‌ I get in the bath with LO and DH puts him in and gets him out. LO went through a brief phase where he was scared of water and he would scream and cry in he bath. When I got in with him he calmed down and now he loves baths again. LO does scream and slap the water now, but in a playful way. Hope it's only temporary like with my LO!
  • kelley72 said:

That is a good idea @fish8412... hmm trying to figure out how I can hold one for him and also make sure he doesn't stand up (which means a crash several seconds later)

They make mirrors that stick on the tub for kids. Here is one.

https://www.amazon.com/Animal-Planet-Bath-Mirror-Penguin/dp/B00E6NU5LQ
  • Ok I held him in my lap last night during bath time.  He frowned up and whimpered but did not scream and cry.  He did clutch at me when I set him in between my legs.  It's a work in process.  
  • Yay! That's an improvement! Get some toys in there to distract him too. My son just tried to chase them Round the water, so he hardly notices what I'm doing. They might help even more.
  • Bubbles! I'm happy he's getting happier in there!
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Something else I forgot to add, I found that running the water then putting LO in the tub helped, rather than having him in there with it running. The loud noise scared him. He's used to it now, but for a while he didn't like it.

Bubbles are a great idea!!
  • Try sitting him on a bath mat so he doesn't slip. Mine hated baths until she was sitting up and able to play with toys. We also do a lot of singing in the bath to distract her and keep it fun.
    We learned a bunch in swimming lessons that helped but any song will do. Also make sure he can face you to be reassured if he gets scared. And lots of splashing to get him used to it. At lessons the instructor splashes them a lot first the body/ legs and the made a "waterfall" over their heads. Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"