Infertility

UPDATED: XP from TTC a Sibling: FET meds suck, may be the end of this cycle

BootsOrHeartsBootsOrHearts member
edited November 2014 in Infertility
Hey ladies, I was part of this board many moons ago when we did our first IVF cycle. Appreciate your help/input on my FET cycle issues. Anyone else having a hard time on these meds?

I'm on day 14 of meds for an FET and I as of this moment I am calling the whole thing off. 
 I have been irritable, depressed, anxious, angry, moody, and miserable. I called the nurse at my REs office and she said there's no issue with stopping, my cycle might be a bit messed up but eventually I'll get a period and things will go back to normal. 

They offered to do my next ultrasound early (tomorrow instead of Friday) and see what's going on, if I wanted to take one more day of meds. then I could talk with the doctor while I'm there about the issues I'm having. I don't know if she can prescribe some kind of anti-depressant or something to combat the effects, who knows. 

They are going to see if the doctor can call today when she is in between surgeries. 

I talked to the doctor about doing a natural cycle, she said she doesn't like to do those because they aren't as successful, but I am wondering if that may be a better option for me given the issues I'm having. Surely they would just monitor my lining and see if naturally it's where it needs to be and if not, then not thaw the embryos right? I mean, it doesn't seem like we'd have a lot to lose. 

Any thoughts, ideas, advice appreciated. I'm on estradiol, minvelle and trental.

UPDATE: I spoke with my RE on the phone and we agreed to cancel this cycle (she will give me something to start a period) and we'll try a natural cycle, though because of the holidays it will have to wait until January. I've been doing some research on natural cycles and I think that will be the best thing for me. No icky meds (except the PIO but the only side effect to that is the butt lumps) and people who have trouble with a thin lining on medicated cycles (which I did with femara and with the fresh IVF cycle) can sometimes have better results with natural. Thanks ladies for all the advice and kind words! 
**Warning: Losses and living child mentioned**
BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.
BFP#2 EDD 10/29/13, C/P 2/25/13, Bye little Ish, we barely got to know you.
BFP#3 EDD 12/21/13, Baby Boots born 11/23/13 My rainbow baby!

imageView Full Size Imageimageimage
January PAL Siggy Challenge: Good Advice

Re: UPDATED: XP from TTC a Sibling: FET meds suck, may be the end of this cycle

• Just a thought, but have you had your TSH levels checked? The estradiol could be affecting it, which could cause you to feel depressed and moody (I know I get that way when my levels are off!). I'm sorry you're feeling this way :(
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• I'm sorry you are experiencing those side effects. I am on estrace only to prepare for my fet and the only side effects I am having are exhaustion and constipation.
    Are you close to transferring? If you are close can you stick it out a couple more days? If not, it sounds like a natural cycle might be best for you based on your side effects from the meds. Good luck!

** Losses Mentioned **
    Me(32) - Low AMH (0.46) and DH(33) - All good!
    May 2014 - IUI (Follistim) = BFP! Ectopic. Surgery June 2014.
    August/Sept 2014 - IVF #1. BFP! Chemical Pregnancy.
    November 2014 - IVF #2; ER only - PGS testing 3 Frosties.
    December 2014 - FET #1 - Beta on 12/17!  BFP  *It's TWINS*

image        image      image  
  • Loading the player...
  • @tptbabe thank you I will ask the nurse about that! 
    @marissa6609 they said my earliest transfer date would be dec. 4th so I have a ways to go. :-( The estrace and minivelle (both estrogen) are what's giving me problems I think. I haven't dealt with the issues you're having though, I guess it's always something! 
    BFP#1 1/31/12, EDD 10/6/12 Harrison Gray born sleeping @ 18w6d. You changed our lives little guy.

• Absolutely no advice, but just wanted to wave hi  :-h

Excited that you guys are TTC #2!  GL w/ whatever happens this cycle.
    Me (28): fine, DH (28): MFI
    Married 6/21/09
    Off BCP and TTC 4/17/11
    BFP #1 (ended in CP) 7/15/11
    Varicocelectomy surgery 9/4/12 - T improved to normal, but still low count

Current Status: Pursuing Jan '15 IVF w/ ICSI
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

image    imageimage
  • Im sorry you're feeling this way. :( I'm prepping for FET 12/8, and I'm currently on estrace, lupron, prednisone and baby aspirin. I'm DEFINITELY more bitchy on these, and I'm still only on relatively small doses.

IMO, I'd stick it out. But this process has really taken a long time for us (long lupron) and I'm just ready. I wouldn't want to delay anything further. I know you still have a little ways to go, but would there be anything you can do to decrease the side effects? Maybe some extra "you" time with massage, acupuncture, or just a mani/pedi? I find that I'm more relaxed after leaving acupuncture and I'm definitely happier after a massage. Or maybe a kickboxing class at the gym to take out some frustration?

GL with your decision. And FX for you!

***SIGGY WARNING***

Our Story

Me- 35, mild hypothyroidism

DH- 29, low count due to a chromosomal abnormality, only option is IVF/ICSI with PGD.

Married 5/13

TTC since 8/13

IVF/ICSI #1 ER 9/14 - 14R, 6M, 6F, 5 blasts off to PGD- 1 normal female, 2 balanced males

FET 12/8 of 2 frosties - 1 male/1 female - stick babies stick! 

Beta #1 10dp5dt 444! Beta #2 14dp5dt 2,340!  U/S 1/5-- TWINS!!!  EDD 8/26/15

"You'll never see the rainbow if you can't survive the storm"

image    image

Pregnancy Ticker

• BrideJackie11BrideJackie11 member
    edited November 2014
    **** siggy warning ****

@bootsorhearts, I remember you from way back when!!!  I am too am probably going to do an FET again sometime over the next 6 months.  I guess I should check out the TTC a sibling board.  I am nervous to intro over here again but was a regular way back (maybe I'll just delete my sig, ugh I keep trying to make the ticker go away!!!).  I wanted to say good luck!!!  I don't know if it would be worth starting an antidepressant like zoloft or prozac as they typically take several weeks to have the full effect.   I am sorry you are feeling so crappy.  Can you meet with a therapist for some brief therapy to help you out so you can keep cycling?  Sending you ((HUGS))!

<Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Married June 2011 Dx: anovulatory due to prolactinoma (1.5cmx 1.5cm in 2006)
    April 2012: MRI- questionable cyst 8mg by 12mm in pituitary ; referred to RE by Ob-gyn after amenorrhea x 4+ months, provera ineffective, low estrogen level
    cycle 1: May 2012, clomid 50mg; cycle cancelled, thin lining, no response
    cycle 2: June 2012, femara 5mg; cycle cancelled, no response
    cycle 3: July 2012, femara 7.5mg; cycle cancelled (largest folli on Cd12 & cd 16: 11, lining 4)
    Repeat MRI July 25,2012- Cyst unchanged, likely old infarction.
    Aug. 8: met with RE, move to injectables if HSG and SA normal
    Aug. 23: HSG all clear; DH- perfect
    Switched to a new RE in early Sept. IVF here we come
    Genetic testing reveals: Fragile X- Intermediate risk/grey zone.
    IVF#1: ER 11/30: 14 retrieved, 10 mature, 7 fertilized. E2 prior to trigger 5200. Decision made to freeze 6 embryos and transfer later due to OHSS.
    IVF#1.2/FET #1: estrogen injects start 1/18, FET delayed to try to thicken lining. lining 5.4mm. FET- 2/18- transferred one 3AA expanded blast. BFP 5dp5dt. Beta #1- 2/27 9dp5dt- 102.27 beta #2 3/1: 147 :(, beta #3 3/4: 268 told to stop meds and let nature take its course. requested 4th beta (3/6); Beta hell for 2 months.

FET # 2: endometrial scratch 5/6, added estrace vaginally and ASA to delestrogen and PIO. June 10- transferred one 4AA hatched embryo, BFP 4dp6dt, Beta 1 (9dp6dt) 187, Beta 2 (11dp6dt): 412; Beta 3 (15dp6dt ): 4452. U/S #1- one beautiful embryo with a heartbeat of 133 at 7 weeks.  8 weeks: heartbeat 156. EDD 2/26/2014: born 2-3-14 induced due to Pre-E and HELLP at 36w5d.

12/1: met with RE to discuss trying for #2

• IMO I would stick it out unless you absolutely cannot continue. Was your other cycles this way? I agree with pp to get a blood test work up to see if it's something easily fixable.
    Good luck!
  • ** Siggy warning**

Have you tried different formulations of the meds?  I've had my share of FET's- in this, I've found that I can't tolerate estrace (makes me very nauseous) and crinone makes me incredibly irritable and emotional.  Switching to PIO and delestrogen as alternatives worked for me.  Maybe it is something as simple as this?

I'm really sorry that you are going through this.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• ** Siggy warning**

Have you tried different formulations of the meds?  I've had my share of FET's- in this, I've found that I can't tolerate estrace (makes me very nauseous) and crinone makes me incredibly irritable and emotional.  Switching to PIO and delestrogen as alternatives worked for me.  Maybe it is something as simple as this?

I'm really sorry that you are going through this.

This will be the next step if the natural cycle doesn't pan out. RE said the estrogen via patches is sometimes better than the pills so we'll try more patches and skipping the pills I guess. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"