Infertility
Options

Varicocelectomy – worse before better?

edited December 2014 in Infertility
Hi! I am looking for advice and hopefully encouragement :) My husband had a microsurgical varicocelectomy to repair his bilateral varicocele in July. He had a follow up SA at the beginning of November and his numbers aren't improved. does it just take time? He also had 2 doses of Prednisone in September to clear up two cases of Poison Ivy ... I know this may have negatively affected the SA results too. Experience? Advice? Thank you so much!
Be Realistic: Plan for a Miracle.

Re: Varicocelectomy – worse before better?

• Options
    BunInTheLabBunInTheLab member
    edited November 2014
    My husband has bilateral varicoceles as well. His urologist said only about 30% show improved numbers after the surgery, that's why we opted not to do it until after we get KU. It takes three months to show improvement, and since you said he had prednisone in Sept that'd be not until Dec that you'd see better numbers. That's all the insight I have :) Good luck to you both!! Hoping his numbers continue to improve!
    Me 27 I DH 29
    TTC since February 2013
    Me: Stage III Endometriosis, Lap '08 w/ Ablations
    DH: MFI

March - August 2014: IUI x4, BFN x3, CP x1

November IVF #1: w/ ICSI, last BCP 10/26, Agonist Protocol: Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide
    ER 11/14 13R;  11/15 13R, 8M, 8F w/ICSI 
    11/16: 3 perfect, 5 overachievers 
    11/17: 5 perfect, 3 slackers
    11/19: Transferred one perfect blast, 5 frosties
    12/3 beta: 996! 12/10 beta: 12,688

"Forget all the reasons why it won't work and believe in the one reason why it will" 
  • Options
    My RE was strongly against this. He believed that this surgery would not improve anything. I have no idea what the success rates are but we chose to do IVF, instead of risking surgery. I wish you the best of luck though and hope this works for you and your husbands!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No experience here with varicocelectomy, but I just wanted to commiserate with your DHs poison ivy. I had it bad enough to need several weeks of prednisone a few years ago and it was miserable!!! Poor guy :(
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• Options
    My DH's urologist said it could take up to a year to get the full benefits from the surgery, so we opted not to do anything for his, since we're doing IVF with PICSI (though we had some surprise higher counts, so converted my last IVF to an IUI instead of cancelling when faced with a dominant follicle). Since there's also the 3-4 months it takes for sperm to develop, and your DH was on the steroids in Sept, it really is probably too early to see any benefit.

***************************Loss Mentioned***************************

Me 37 y/o, DH 45 y/o; DH vasectomy reversal (his 2nd marriage) 11/8/12; TTC since 12/8/12. IVF due to MFI. DOR diagnosis April 2015.

IVF #1 BCPs/Antagonist w/ICSI Jan 2014 = BFN

IVF #2 MDL w/PICSI March 2014 = BFN

IVF #3 EPP/Antagonist w/PICSI May/June 2014 = BFP!; MMC 6w4d

IVF #4 No suppression/Antagonist Nov 2014/Converted to IUI #1 = BFN
    IVF #4.1 Feb 2015 = cancelled
    IVF #4.2 April 2015 - Lupron Stop Protocol with ICSI = PGD testing of embryo indicated it was abnormal
    IVF #5 June 2015 EPP with Antagonist 

Everyone welcome!

• Options
    DH's Uro actually told us it could take up to 2 years to see the full results.  We are unfortunately in the no improvement camp (for count, anyways).

It could be the meds YH was on, so give it a little more time.  GL!
    Me (28): fine, DH (28): MFI
    Married 6/21/09
    Off BCP and TTC 4/17/11
    BFP #1 (ended in CP) 7/15/11
    Varicocelectomy surgery 9/4/12 - T improved to normal, but still low count

Current Status: Pursuing Jan '15 IVF w/ ICSI
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

image    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    Thank you everyone! I am new to the bump and am just seeing your responses ... I thought I would have gotten email notifications. I will definitely be getting on here more often, it's great to have the support! What a tough road infertility is! You just have to remember to count your blessings and whenever your miracle happens, it's just a super blessing!

Thanks again ladies!
    Be Realistic: Plan for a Miracle.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"