April 2015 Moms
Options

What would you do?

So I love the fact that in this country you can remain on your parents insurance until you turn 26. The kind of crappy part though, is that I turned 26 when I was 2 months along so I had to switch to my own provider. I spent weeks making sure I got insurance that covered my ob/gyn whom I fell in love with, the only problem, however, after I received my insurance the company switched my plan to an HMO, meaning I could only see my reg ob with a referral from my company provided primary physician. After the pcp appointment, it turns out the primary did the referral incorrectly so I have to go back in. ok, sorry I know A LOT to read, I was tired just writing it so you can imagine how tiring it is to deal with.

My question for you ladies, if you were having to put up with all that shit would you just keep jumping through the stupid hoops just to see a doctor you loved and were extremely comfortable with or just say fuck it and start over looking for a new dr in the policy network?

BabyFruit Ticker

A15 Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails

Re: What would you do?

• Options
    I had something similar happen. I am
    a FTM and fell in love with my in network doctor, only to have my insurance drop him three months into my pregnancy. I fought to have him stay my doctor because I have never felt so comfortable with ANY doctor, let alone one that deals with the regions he does.

That being said, it's your decision. Jump through the hoops if your doctor is worth it. If you don't really care that much get a new doctor. Only you can decide, but make sure you choose what makes you most comfortable during a (what I consider) an uncomfortable time.
  • Options
    If you've already seen your primary for the referral once and they messed it up you shouldn't have to go back in again. They should be able to make the referral from that visit!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I agree to stay with the doctor you feel comfortable with. I liked my ob/gyn doc, but after finding out I was pregnant and making my first appointment, I realized I didn't care for the other docs in the practice. (I had not seen them as a patient but I worked with them in the hospital) After stressing for a few days, I decided to switch to a very highly recommended OB doc and I could not be happier that I did. He is awesome and I feel so much more comfortable with him and his practice. It was literally like a weight was lifted off my shoulders after I switched.

I also agree with @Swanigam‌ that your doc should be able to correct the referral without another visit. Its worth checking into. Good luck!
  • Options
    If your doctor is not in network, is it possible that the hospital the doctor delivers at may not be in network? I personally would switch if that were the case, just because the extra cost from delivery would be so much.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your input. I'm gonna try jumping through a few more hoops until I finally give in and switch doctors. Hopefully it will pay off.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would jump through hoops. My HMO doesn't require a referral for OB/GYNs though. I thought that was normal (however this is my first time on my own insurance and I could just not know anything lol).
    BFP 8/9/2014
    Baby Boy wolowizard due 4/14/2015
    Greyson Robert
  • Options
    You're probably going to an ob that's already in your network. Mine isn't.

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I would ask about how likely your doctor is to be at your delivery before going through more hassle. I have Kaiser and was told one of eight people would likely be working that day. This has made me pretty ambivalent about seeing one particular doctor.
  • Options
    I would find a dr that is in network or you will be paying for out of network expenses which can get pretty hefty
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"