Natural Birth
Options

XP from N14: "Big Baby" Success Stories?

Here's my predicament - I'm 41+1 and I just had an ultrasound and some other things checked. Everything looks great - fluid, heartbeat, etc. BUT he's measuring big (10 lbs 14 oz) which, while intimidating, didn't strike me as a huge red flag. My midwife is acting like this is a huge deal and saying that the overseeing OB has to sign off on it due to risk of shoulder dystocia. It is my personal opinion, as well as the OB's, that he is actually around 10 lbs.

I would still like to try for a vaginal, med-free delivery. Am I crazy? Not aware of all of the risks?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: XP from N14: "Big Baby" Success Stories?

• Options
    @Byjove03‌ DS1 was 9 lbs 1 oz at 39+5. He agreed to let me deliver vaginally but didn't want to go past this Thursday (41+3) so I'm scheduled for an induction Thursday morning. I just want to feel better about my choice since I can still change my mind at this point if it's necessary.

@danisgossipgirl‌ It was a second opinion that she sought from the OB. I'm sorry for the confusion. I'm a little emotional. They did go into detail about risks and so forth. That's what has me shook up. I'm afraid to make the "wrong" choice here when the stakes are so high.

image image image

• Options
    @danisgossipgirl‌ I'm looking for any information to make me feel better about my decision (or make the case that I should consent to a section). I want to do what's best for my son. Thanks! I'll read those as soon as I get home.

image image image

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    PineApple85PineApple85 member
    edited November 2014
    @danisgossipgirl‌ Thanks for those! I do feel much more comfortable with my decision after reading them. I'm more concerned now with how the perception of size would effect the OB's decisions but I believe the MW will be "in the driver's seat" so to speak and I have more trust with her.

image image image

• Options
    My doctor always said my son was measuring big but never gave me a number.  I didn't even know what they thought he was until after he was born and I transferred doctors and saw his medical notes.  I guess they thought he was going to be about 9 pounds when I went into labor with him.  He was born at 7 pounds, 13 ounces.  So not big by any means.  From what I've heard from other people measurements usually tend to be on the high side.  I'd do what you need to do to have your baby the way you want as far as the doctor signing off, but try not to stress and focus on that baby's size during labor.  It will only create stress and worry.

B born 7/15/13, C born 3/2/15, #3 on the way May '17

I’m a modern man, a man for the millennium. Digital and smoke free. A diversified multi-cultural, post-modern deconstruction that is anatomically and ecologically incorrect. I’ve been up linked and downloaded, I’ve been inputted and outsourced, I know the upside of downsizing, I know the downside of upgrading. I’m a high-tech low-life. A cutting edge, state-of-the-art bi-coastal multi-tasker and I can give you a gigabyte in a nanosecond! I’m new wave, but I’m old school and my inner child is outward bound. I’m a hot-wired, heat seeking, warm-hearted cool customer, voice activated and bio-degradable. I interface with my database, my database is in cyberspace, so I’m interactive, I’m hyperactive and from time to time I’m radioactive.

• Options
    My first was 9lbs.. At a late ultrasound with my second she was estimated to be 11lbs. In the end she was 8lbs. 11oz. and came so fast I barely made it to the hospital! I feel like the women in my family give birth to 8-11lb. babies with greater ease than a lot of my friends give birth to 6lb. babies, so I have a hard time freaking out about naturally big babies.
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • Options
    DH was nearly 11 lbs and born in a 100% natural birth center birth. No complications, no shoulder dystocia, not even a tear. MIL went to the mall the next day. He was her 3rd baby and larger than his sister's by 2-3 lbs. She is relatively petite. 

Make sure you agree with their assessment of an induction. You can try a few more natural methods before going for the pitocin, like membrane sweep, sex, and the old wives tales. Your bishops score and other factors should be discussed, the baby's approximate size is not a reason to induce if everything else looks good. There is no way to know what size the baby is until it is here. I'd also discuss with your doctor how you will be able to move and change positions throughout labor if you're hooked up to pitocin. At some hospitals pitocin means electronic fetal monitoring and being bed ridden for the length of labor, but others have different policies so it's good to know ahead of time so you can feel mentally prepared for that. 

I remember a similar story from Ina May's Guide to Childbirth where the mother had larger babies. The doctors kept saying she her average pelvis would never birth such a large baby. I have the book next to me so I'll quote it. This is from page 56. "I also learned that my 'adequate' pelvis is more than adequate for an 'average size' baby. It's just that my average-size babies weigh more than ten pounds. I found out that I am perfectly designed to give birth to them." If you don't have that book, get it today and read "evan's birth" and a few of the other stories. It can be so encouraging to know other ladies really have been there and succeeded!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I went to 41weeks2days with my DS, thankfully my dr didn't do an ultrasound bc he said mom and baby are fine according to BP, heart rate, ect.  He was willing to let my go 2 weeks late.  He came out a lil rolly polly at 9lbs.  He couldn't believe I was carrying a 9 lber.  
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @pineapple85 - that is AWESOME!! You're probably going to have a baby today, how incredibly exciting!

BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"