Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Baby's weight loss

Hi, my baby was born on 11/11/2014 at 7 pounds and 1.0 oz. Since the first day in the hospital after her initial stool/meconium movements she was going number 2 about 5 times in a 24 hour period and in the last 3 days around 8-9 times in 24 hours, yellow in color which is normal. At our check up today she was down to 6 pounds 0.2 oz which is scary, around 15% weight loss. I'm breast feeding about every two hours round the clock, was supplementing small amounts of formula if the baby still seemed hungry after an hour+ of breast feeding. I'm concerned about the weight loss but I'm told by the doctors that as long as she's going number 2 that many times it means she's eating enough which does make sense, nothing in nothing out. So we are coming up on 7 days and she is still losing weight instead of gaining back the arguably 1oz/day after birth and as I've read and should be back to her birth weight at somewhere between 9-14 days which at this rate isn't going to happen. Any advise would help. I don't want to switch to formula as it's expensive but want to fatten my baby up :(

Re: Baby's weight loss

• leela02leela02 member
    edited November 2014
    If the dr. is not concerned and your LO is peeing/pooping normally, and isn't showing signs of dehydration/sickness, I wouldn't worry too much and just wait and see what she weighs in the next checkup.

Is this your LO's first weigh-in after getting home from the hospital? My LO lost weight in the hospital and in her first check up (1 week old) she weighed a little bit less. The pedi said this doesn't necessarily mean that LO was still losing weight. It was possible that in the days between going home and going to the check-up she lost more weight before she started gaining. They just can't tell until they check her weight again the next week.

At 2 weeks my LO was still not at her birth weight but gained a normal amount of weight (just under 1oz per day), so the pedi wasn't concerned. My LO would've had to gain 11 oz. in a week to reach birthweight by 2 weeks and the pedi said that is unrealistic for most babies. There is only so much a newborn can gain in a day.

EBF didn't work out for us because I have low supply, so I switched to mostly formula for LO. I hate the expense but LO's gotta eat, you just do what you gotta do. Store brands are much cheaper and often work as well as brand name if you have to use more formula (a lot of people like the Target and Costco brands).
  • Babies loose weight it's normal. My DD weighted 7 pounds at birth and 6.1 when we left the hospital at her one month she's wasn't even back to birth weight and I was EBFing. She was 6.11, If your pedi isn't concerned and your LO is following her curve chart and you have enough dirty diapers I wouldn't worry.
    You can see if your baby is actively sucking by watching the muscles in her neck, listen to her swallow. She may not be eating for the full 1+ hour, she may just be using you as a paci. Sucking is calming for babies see if she will take a paci, but also look for hunger cues, like you said she still hungry after 1+ hour of nursing. What exactly does she do? If she just cried that could mean she's still hungry but could also mean she just want to suck whether it's you or a paci.
    You could also schedule a weight check, I had one once a week with my DD because her weight gain was so slow.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"