Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

14 month old wakes up all night long still.

My 14 month old still does not sleep throughout the night. I don't even remember the last time I have had a good nights rest. My husband is military so he sleeps like a rock. But my son has a hard time staying asleep at nights. Nap times during the day he does great. When he wakes up at nights he screams and whines I nurse he falls back asleep(I'm also trying to wean him off nursing it's not going well at all).

If anyone has advice I would love it I don't know what to do anymore.

Re: 14 month old wakes up all night long still.

• I had this same problem with my almost 16 month old.  She weaned herself during the day and was still waking up 3-6 times overnight to comfort nurse.  I had to have my husband go in and give her the binky and comfort her back to sleep.  I had to change some meds around and quit nursing cold turkey.  Not the way I wanted it to end but that's what needed to be done.

She now sleeps from 7:30/8-5am and needs the binky replaced and will sleep til 7.  It's so hard but we were in the same place a month ago.  I hope you are able to get some sleep.
    After 4.5 years our miracle IVF baby is here!
    Born 7/30/13
  • Mine both slept through the night when I weaned.  I know that's not what you want to hear.  I would wake YH up and have him go in and soothe your LO.  If nursing isn't an option he'll go back to sleep.  Just pick a plan and stay consistent.  
  • Loading the player...
  • 14 months is old enough to sleep through the night without eating, so its probably a habit/comfort thing.  I'd get your partner on board to deal with the MOTN wake ups for a week, and stick to it.  First of all, wait a full 5 minutes when LO wakes up-- we were shocked that half the time LO would go back to sleep on her own!  Then if she didn't go back to sleep, my H would go in and "shh" and pat the baby to calm her back down.  He didn't pick her up unless she was really crying hard, and then he'd pick her up and hug her until she calmed down, then put her back down.
    That first day she was STARVING for breakfast, but soon adjusted to eating more during the day to compensate for not eating at night.

There are also a ton of books on this topic-- find the one that works for you.  GL! 

• Sleeping through the night is developmental. I prefer not to sleep train and I just follow my daughter's cue. At that age she, was also not sleeping through the night. I would say within the last 1-2 months (she will be two in Feb) that she has started to consistently sleep through the night. She is my only for now, and she is only little for a short time. I still rock her to sleep every night. We also still bed share. I don't feed her when she wakes up. Sometimes I will offer or she'll ask for some water. Other times she has lost her paci, etc.
    I totally understand what you saying - we are military too and I also work.
    Also, my pedi told me that babies don't typically sleep through the night until 2-3 years of age.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"