October 2014 Moms
Options

I know this will sound horrible but I feel so uncomfortable when other people hold my little boy.

It gets even worse when people demand to hold him. Specifically my husbands dad. He really gets under my skin and my husband told me that I can't deny him from holding him. I just want to hold my baby and I really don't trust other people to hold or watch him. Is anyone else feeling like this with their new addition? :-/ I don't trust anyone except my husband with him.

Re: I know this will sound horrible but I feel so uncomfortable when other people hold my little boy.

• Options
    I feel like this 100%. This is my second baby... I bought a ktan so when I'm around others they are less inclined to ask.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You aren't alone! I feel more strongly about some people than others. When my FIL was here I would get oddly upset when he would call my son a "pretty boy" or repeat his name over and over. I never said anything but it made me cringe so hard.
  • Options
    Right there with ya.. I can feel myself get tense when someone other than me or DH hold my twins. Lots of people have offered to come help with them, and it especially makes me nervous when someone else is trying to give them a bottle for some reason.
    ---------------Siggy Warning--------------------

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    Me: 32, DH: 34  / TTC since February 2011 / SA: all normal, HSG: all clear! / on Lovenox for anticardiolipid antibodies
    4 IUIs with Clomid, Letrozole, and Menopur. All BFN.
    9/12: lap / hysteroscopy: found and removed mild endometriosis, cervical polyp, and 2 para-tubular cysts
    5/13 IVF #1: Follistim, Menopur, Ganirelix, 10R/4M/4F, ET of 2, 5 cell and 4 cell, no frosties = BFN
    12/13 IVF #2 = November / December 2013. Microdose Lupron Protocol: 15R/6M/6F, Froze all 6 due to high E2 and P4
    FET 1: Jan 22, 2014 of one 4AB blast and one 3BB blast (3 blasts on ice!)
    BFP on HPT 4dp5dt, Beta #1 9dp5dt: 310, Beta #2 11dp5dt: 899
    First u/s on 2/17/14: TWINS!!!!! both w/HBs of 114 at 6w3d, HBs 150 and 152 at 7w5d

5/27/2014: Team purple!!!!  EDD 10/10/2014 / 
    Delivered by c-section at 32w0d 8/15/2014 due to preeclampsia/HELLP syndrome
    Baby Boy 4lbs 1oz, 17 inches
    Baby Girl 3lbs 5oz, 16 inches

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Other people were insisting on holding my baby within hours of her birth so I kind of got used to it quick. It bothered me at first but now I actually get annoyed when no one wants to hold her so I can get a break. The only time it really bothers me is when she's crying and I know she's hungry or needs her diaper changed and everyone is passing her around. DH's family is bad about this but then no one wants to hold her later so I can eat, it's very frustrating.

• Options
    I don't care about holding, but my Dad came over after I only got 2 hours of sleep the previous night to help out since DH had overnight duty. I had a hard time leaving them downstairs to go to bed even though I trust them completely.

It was wonderful though! I slept 10-5, pumped, slept another hour and feel like a new woman!

I say take advantage!

• Options
    In the first couple weeks I had to restrain myself from turning into a crazy person every time someone else held her. But we had waaay too much company in the beginning. It's gotten a little bit easier, but I think it's normal to want your baby to yourself! We worked hard for these beautiful bundles of joy!
  • Options
    I feel this way when H's parents hold him. I know it's not rational and they love him but it makes me cringe. I think it might have something to do with me feeling like I wasn't being respected as a parent basically since their first visit with him in the hospital, but that's a whole other story. I kind of just let them hold him and find something else to keep me occupied.
    imageimage
  • Options

I felt like this a lot with my first, and I've felt like this a few times with this one.  It's almost more of an instinctual urge than just a preference.  Which makes me think it's mostly my hormones or something.

Not to go against your husband, but yes, I feel like you can deny your FIL holding your baby.
    I was pretty much going to say this.

What's also interesting to me is that I hate how other people's scents get on him after they hold him.
    PM me for blog link!

Lilypie - (oGcT)Lilypie - (iEmQ)  
  • Options
    @keelyd‌ completely understand how you feel...I can't stand it when people think the baby can't possibly be hungry yet and won't give her back to me. Then by the time I can get her to feed, she is melting down and has a hard time focusing to feed.
  • Options
    I too think it's instinctual. I clearly remember about 6 weeks PP with my DD telling my husband that if anyone hurt her, including him, I would kill them. And I was serious and also a tiny bit tipsy from a mimosa.

I'm a little less wound up this time around.
  • Options
    I am ok with close friends and family holding her, but I rarely offer to let someone hold her. Really only grandparents at this point. If a close friend asks, I will let them, but don't offer it up.

It does piss me off when my FIL is holding her and she starts to fuss. I ask to take her to feed her, and he takes a minute or two to let her go. I think some of it is they don't 100% support my choice to try to breast feed, and he is hoping I give him the formula bottle (because we are supplementing) before I try nursing. Sorry, but no. And honestly I prefer DH or I give her the formula bottle...I think it's my way of keeping some control since I am still a little tender about our breastfeeding struggles...but that's a personal issue.
    July Siggy Challenge: Fireworks Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    teedaaleeteedaalee member
    edited November 2014

Hmmmm…are you and your husband on the same page with this? The most important thing is that you guys are on the same page about it!

teedaalee0712

• Options
    I understand how you feel and am embarrassed to say that I cringe the whole time my in laws hold my daughter. I think it stems from many hard feelings before she was born. I'm trying to push those feelings aside and try to give them the benefit of the doubt - but they won't be alone with her anytime soon. I am fighting the mama bear urges with them.

• Options
    keelyd said:

We haven't had too many visitors, but I definitely felt this way about my MIL when she was here -- mostly bc she wanted to take him the moment he unlatched from me constantly and didn't want to believe he was hungry again when he'd fuss. She kind of Nader me feel selfish for wanting to hold him at times he wasn't eating when she was here, and that pissed me off.

@keelyd‌

I feel the same. At one point baby was crying , I knew she was hungry , it'd also been two or three hours since last feed , I was engorged , and I wanted feed her. MIL was holding her and didn't want to give her yet, saying "let's Just wait a minute ... Let's just wait and see". I kid you not I saw white flash before my eyes and I was hot with anger. I knew enough too just stop and let it pass before I said something inappropriate. I think it was an instinctual need to tend to her combined with exacerbation over feeling like they didn't believe that I could possibly know when she was and wasnt hungry. But I knew she was hungry and would escalate cause no amount of rocking will calm her when she's hungry and within a minute or two MIL gave her to me . Now the same thing happens but when it does I will physically take my baby away to feed her.
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
  • Options
    I should say though that my MIL also tries to hold the LO in order to give us a break and let DH and I eat. I don't want to make it out like she tried to keep him from me on purpose- that part is my own inner struggles that I need to work on, not hers.
    photo 98826c1d-49e9-4f18-a2a8-311206877833_zps1c1ec21a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"