June 2013 Moms

Nursemaid's Elbow

TL;DR Don't lift up/swing your LO by their hands. It is really easy to dislocate their elbows this way.

We went to the park Sunday morning and DH was helping DD climb around.  DH had been helping her up the steps by holding both her hand and just lifting her up by her hands. Out of nowhere DD starts screaming and crying. She could not calm down enough for us to figure out what was wrong so I picked her up and started carrying her home. DH thinks there's something wrong with one of her arms because the way he was lifting her (his parents always tell the story of him dislocating his elbow ["nursmaid's elbow"] as a toddler from pulling to run away from his mom while she was holding his hand). DD doesn't get so upset this often (she's more of a whiner than a screamer) especially without being able to get her to calm down, it was so sad to see. When we were most of the way home she was only whimpering so I asked if she wanted to go down and walk home. She said yes so I put her down as asked if she wanted to hold my hand. She tried to reach, but couldn't lift her left arm up and started crying again. DH had FIL (a radiologist) meet us at home. He remembered from when it happened to DH that its a very easy fix and doesn't need a cast or anything once its popped back into place. He had to try a couple of times but he finally got it back in. DD was still a little upset but started crawling around and manipulating things with her hands 5 mins later so we knew she was ok. It was not fun but I am very thankful it was not worse.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Nursemaid's Elbow

• My BIL accidentally did this to my nephew when he was a toddler. It was actually my nephew's fault because BIL was holding his hand and he decided to throw a meltdown fit where he threw his body weight away from BIL while still holding his hand. He felt so awful about it, but it totally wasn't his fault and the doc said it was really common. I always get so nervous though because Liam and G want to pull Arlo up onto things when he is trying to join them on the bed or couch and it makes me cringe, but it's hard to stop them wanting to help the little guy!

• Glad she's ok. We see this is the ER quite a bit.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Glad she's ok!  Thanks for the warning - she likes to grab our hands and try to swing herself, so I do it now and then carefully, but I think I'll stop completely.  Not worth the risk.

Relatedly, at what point are they able to swing by hands safely?  I'm a former gymnast and I know I was pretty young when I started swinging around the bars, like 3ish I guess.  Is it safe then?  Earlier?  I don't know!

• That's too scary!  Thanks for the psa, and I'm glad LO is okay now!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    DS born 6/2013
  • BTW both DH and I have held her that way 100s of times probably be fore this happened.
    @nubmersgirl03 MIL makes it sound like DH was around 3 when this happened to him, but maybe he was younger.

• This happened to me as a kid, too. I started running in a parking lot and my dad grabbed my arm. I managed to pop my elbow back in place myself. I was probably 2ish.
    B has started wanting to have 2 people hold his hand so he can swing. I try to limit it, but he's really cute. So I just try to stabilize his wrist so we don't also injure that.

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"