New York Babies

Delivering at Mount Sinai... what to expect?

Hi everyone, is there anyone here who has recently given birth at Mt Sinai? I'm 34 weeks pregnant and my OB/GYN is affiliated with Mount Sinai hospital. I'm a first time mother, not high-risk, and I'd ideally like as natural a birth as possible within the hospital setting. 

However, I'm starting to get worried about how rigid the hospital may be in terms of laboring, birth plans etc. I really want to be able to move around, even in active labor, and I do NOT want to be hooked up to an IV the whole time. I'd like to be able to use my birthing ball in the labor room as well (and I have a doula). 

I've also heard that the laboring rooms are small at Mount Sinai - do they at least have windows? The thought of laboring in a windowless closet is frankly terrifying! 

Plus, I'm not totally against the idea of an epidural, if I really end up needing one in the later stages of labor (and I am aware that if I do get one, I'll be restricted to the bed with a catheter, etc.), but I don't want it pushed on me either! 

We did do the tour, but they don't let you into the L&D unit.

Any input that anyone may have would be wonderful. I don't want to have to change doctors at this late stage because of fears about the hospital... thank you so much all! :)

Re: Delivering at Mount Sinai... what to expect?

• Hello!  I am the owner of City Births and also a Cert Doula.  In my experience it is more about your careprovider then about the hospital.  THe nurses will respond to whatever your careprovider tells them to do so you need to have a nice chat with your Doctor or midwife and see what their position is on IV use during labor, policy on eating and drinking, what do they do to help encourage labor to progress, how do they feel about non-medicated births, etc.  I usually say to leave the questions somewhat open ended to get the doctor to talk.  So don't go in saying "I don't want and IV" ask "what is your policy on IV"  if they respond something like, as long as you are no dehyrdated or don't have any meds I am fine with heplock (you will should compromise here and get heplock, pick and chose some battles).  They all you need to do is say , hey that sounds like what I would like.  Shoot me an email, I am happy to give you a list of questions to ask.  You should be able to sit on a ball during fetal monitoring or stand, as long as nurses can get tracing it does not matter if you are in bed or not and if you don't have meds there is no reason why you would need to be on monitor all the time (unless of course they suspect an issue with baby).
    Good luck you are doing the right thing by asking questions.
    www.citybirths.com
    andrea
  • I delivered at Mount Sinai 13 months ago and had a wonderful experience (as wonderful as labor can be).  The delivery rooms are small but they do have windows.  Mine actually had a wonderful view of central park.  The nurse I had in delivery was nice but nothing special.  The nurses on the maternity floors after deliver were absolutely fantastic and so helpful and kind.  I had a natural childbirth.  My intention was to be able to walk around but we were having baby heart rate issues so I was stuck laying on my side hooking up to a number of monitors.  That being said, if I wouldn't have had that complication they seemed to be pretty flexible.  The doctor (who was from my practice but not my actual doctor) and nurse sort of joked and said when do you want the epidural and I said  I don't they sort of laughed but never forced it on me.  They just said call when you want it and I never did.  They were actually very hands off and when I needed or wanted something I had to actually call them into the room.  I didn't mind because it allowed me to labor without much intervention the whole time.  They allowed me to have ice chips and even water while I was in labor.  Food was not allowed though since they were never really in the room I probably could have eaten if I wanted to (but I had absolutely no desire to eat).  They were surprisingly a pretty hands off hospital so if that's what you want, I think you'll be very happy there.
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks so much both of you! Definitely feeling much more reassured now - having a proper chat with doctor this week, but as far as I can tell they won't have any problems with me delivering however I want...! Good to know about the windows as well! Seems a small thing, but I feel it will make all the difference!

Thanks again for the replies, hugely appreciated. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"