May 2015 Moms
Options

Sciatica pain....help!

I first noticed a feel twinning pains in the middle of my right butt when I would sit or lay down for too long at about 9 1/2 weeks. The last few days it seems like I sit for 10 mins and the pain is getting pretty bad. I am 11 weeks as of yesterday at it the pain was awful! I can't bend over to pick anything up off the ground and just bending the wrong way sent shooting pain to my butt and lower back. I've had a hard time sleeping cause it hurts when I lay on my right side or back. I got up to pee a few times last night and the pain was so bad I could hardly move let alone get on or off the toilet. Any suggestions? Stretches?

Re: Sciatica pain....help!

• Options
    sit criss cross applesauce.
    Do some typical hurdlers (figure 4 ) stretches, don't stretch with both legs out straight as it can compound the problem
    Also Pigeon stretch (google, it is a yoga pose) will help a lot.

And of course a webster trained chiropractor
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    Mine too!!! I just found some stretches to do to help alleviate it. I just started the stretches but I hope it starts helping soon!!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you for posting! Mine has started to flare up this last week and my husband thinks I'm crazy. Going to try some stretches!
  • Options
    Massages help some, chiropractors help a lot, always sleep with a pillow between your knees, stretch daily.
  • Options
    I advise seeing a physical therapist! Sciatica is something we treat frequently if this is what it truly is. I would go see a PT to be properly diagnosed though bc as ligaments become more lax, other problems can arrise that may seem like sciatica.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the helpful tips. I did some yoga poses today (child's pose and cat/cow) but no relief so far. I'm going to try sleeping with a body pillow tonight to see if that helps. My DH has been diligently massaging me too. He hates seeing me in pain like this.
  • Options
    I have been going to a chiropractor, which has helped.  In fact, I don't feel the pain anymore now.  My chiropractor gave me stretches to do.
  • Options
    Jillio31Jillio31 member
    edited November 2014
    The pain significantly decreased yesterday during the day. I was up and moving around a lot vs the normal sitting and laying. I slept with a pillow between my legs and only on my left side which seemed to help quite a bit. I usually swap sides throughout the night so it's hard to not do that. I plan to call my doctor today to see what they suggest. seeing as the pain is still there. Thanks again for all of your suggestions!
  • Options
    I use a heating pad which helps a little. I read the pain is probably Pelvic Girdle Pain, not sciatica, but either way it hurts!!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I had this pain around 30 weeks with my first pregnancy and it was horrible. I was referred to a physical therapist and I felt relief after the first visit. She would massage my rear for 30 minutes, do some stretches, and then I would lay with a heating pad for 30 minutes and take a nap. I continued to go after it felt better so I would have an excuse to take an afternoon nap.

imageimage

• Options
    I have been going to a chiropractor, which has helped.  In fact, I don't feel the pain anymore now.  My chiropractor gave me stretches to do.
  • Options
    Any more suggestions for stretches to help this?! Some stretches hurt too much to do! :(
  • Options
    I've had it for weeks now, midwife says that it's the "joy of pregnancy" and I can take a paracetamol... Yay.

Warm baths help, as does changing positions regularly. Mine is worse when getting in and out of bed so I try to do it slowly.

The impression I get is that it's here to stay. Sorry!
  • Options
    I do a lot of stretching. But when I'm at work and on my feet for 8 or more hours stretching doesn't help. And now that I'm 26 weeks certain stretches I used to do aren't very comfortable. I found an as seen on tv product called be active. It's a wrap that goes around the upper part of ur calf with pressure on a pressure point found there. It's less then $20 and is sold at walmart. Works great!
  • Options
    I sure will try the wrap and stretching! I always worry that it's something more than sciatica. I'm a worry wart. It's just so annoying!! :(
  • Options
    I'm dealing with this too. For the first time in any pregnancy. It's on my left side and really bothers me at work after standing up for a few hours. Doctor say Tylenol and rest is all I can do.
  • Options
    I had the same exact thing.! My doctor had me rotate between a heating pad and ice pack for ten mins each whenever I was home and not doing anything. It was better in 2 days.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"