Working Moms
Options

Info on Montessori?

I really don't know anything about Montessori, but you ladies who talk about it have me intrigued. Anyone have a good resource where I can read up? I know I could use the magic Google, but if anyone has any trusted resources where I can learn more, I would appreciate it.

Re: Info on Montessori?

• Options

Something else, though, if you are looking for a Montessori school or day care arrangement, you will need to visit each center and find out how each center or school runs things. There isn't any rule about using "Montessori" in your name. Some places are AMS certified and some aren't. Some places do strict Montessori on everything, some aren't 100% on Montessori for a few things or sometimes many things for a variety reason - philosophical, practical or whatever.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

\image  image

• Options

Something else, though, if you are looking for a Montessori school or day care arrangement, you will need to visit each center and find out how each center or school runs things. There isn't any rule about using "Montessori" in your name. Some places are AMS certified and some aren't. Some places do strict Montessori on everything, some aren't 100% on Montessori for a few things or sometimes many things for a variety reason - philosophical, practical or whatever.

All of this. 

Our experience with Montessori has been very positive.  The school includes children ages 1-6 and there is a lot of parent involvement and opportunities to meet other families.  The atmosphere is almost always calm.  DD is learning so much and is truly developing a love of learning.  They really involve the kids in regular life activities and the kids take so much pride in their independence.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are happy with DD's preschool, so I don't think we will switch that. I'm looking at incorporating some of the philosophies into how my in laws care for my kids. MIL has absotively zero interest in fostering independence, which makes me nuts. But she is very cerebral, so if I show her a philosophy she can read about and have a sort of guide, she's more likely to embrace it.
  • Options

Some books that might be great for your MIL -- lots of good ideas for activities:

https://www.amazon.com/How-Raise-Amazing-Child-Montessori/dp/075662505X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1415307603&sr=1-1&keywords=how+to+raise+an+amazing+child+the+montessori+way

https://www.amazon.com/Teach-Me-Myself-Montessori-Activities/dp/0764127896/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

We're sending L to a Montessori preschool next year and we practice Montessori principals at home.  It is really a lot of fun and when I'm getting frustrated/rushed, reminds me to slow down, be patient and model things for him so he can do it himself.  I'm not naturally a patient person!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"