December 2014 Moms

Re: Baby monitor scare

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Not sure if it's super old i had never heard of it though super creepy!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah it was from April. Guess baby monitors weren't on my radar then! ;)
  • Yes, this is an old story. And anyone with even a half working knowledge of technology can set up their monitor so that it is nearly impossible to hack. Most of these stories come from people who don't have password protected wifi which is dumb to begin with.
    Ahmen, sister. Husband owns his own IT Consulting firm. Needless to say this will never be happening in my house. He's already got security cameras outside our house. In the carport, and outside baby's room. 
    first time mom
    BOY  07/12/14
  • This is why we are not doing the WiFi option because there are sick people in this world that do things that are CRAZY!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So for real the only way for this to happen is if your WiFi is not password protected? Because my mil got us a monitor that uses WiFi and I was starting to be afraid to use it. I'm not very technically intelligent, but I can't imagine anyone not having protected WiFi.
  • Heidig14 said:
    So for real the only way for this to happen is if your WiFi is not password protected? Because my mil got us a monitor that uses WiFi and I was starting to be afraid to use it. I'm not very technically intelligent, but I can't imagine anyone not having protected WiFi.
    The people that were hacking them were doing so because people weren't changing the factory password on thei router (Not the wifi password, but the actual router)
    If someone can log into your router, they can access IP's of all the devices hooked up to it.
    Accessing it would then be as easy as typing the IP and oprt into your web browser.
  • Yes, this is an old story. And anyone with even a half working knowledge of technology can set up their monitor so that it is nearly impossible to hack. Most of these stories come from people who don't have password protected wifi which is dumb to begin with.

Yes! And that would be my idiot of a DH. Our foscam was hacked. They just played creeper I'm watching you music and we unplugged it and DH changed everything. Not sure why he didn't do it in the first freaking place. Also not sure why lint from the dryer never makes it fully to the trash can. He does a lot of dumb shit.

Still going with a Motorola this time. He did like that we could see the baby on our phone with the foscam on a date night though.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Married: 5/21/05 **~** Emery Aylin 6/30/12

BFP#1-11/5/10- Surgery for ectopic pregnancy 11/15/10 BFP#2-11/1/11 Due 7/8/12 Born 6/30/12
    Oops we did it again... BFP 03/23/14 Due 12/6/14 Nora Born 11/23/14
  • People could do the same thing with the old school "sound only" baby monitors. All you have to do is have the same model and put in on the same channel. We had a couple neighbors have this issue (they kept hearing each other's babies). Once they figured out what was happening, they switched the channel they were using.

Secure your wifi (you should be doing this anyway).
  • This is why I refuse to get one with a camera
  • This is why I refuse to get one with a camera

Not all cameras use wifi though. We have a camera monitor and it does. It connect to the Internet.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    DD#1 December '12
    DD#2 New Year's Baby '15
    Married 07/09
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"