Trying to Get Pregnant

Thoughts on this recc?

Wine&CupcakesWine&Cupcakes member
edited October 2014 in Trying to Get Pregnant
One of my good friends is TTC and is on month 6. At a routine gyno visit she mentioned this as well as temping, charting & OPK use.

Her OB suggested she begin testing. She is 31.

TCOYF and FF state to seek help with TTC at something like 4ish months or so, however, I'm not sure what to make of this recommendation.

Do you guys thing this OB just wants to bill for this? Or do you think this is legit? I have no stake in this either way, but am genuinely curious as to how this is viewed.

ETA: personally, I know the whole 1 year under 35, etc etc but I was curious as to others opinions. Also, she has a small cyst on her ovary and that's the only significant medical hx.
TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
Me: 31  DH: 29
DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!

Re: Thoughts on this recc?

• Generally, the rule is after 12 months of trying if you are under 35, and 6 months if you are over 35. Unless there is some medical history that we don't know about, I would say waiting is best. It can take a perfectly healthy couple a year to conceive. 
    DS#1 5/31/12
    DS#2 5/11/13
    #3 EDD 8/7/15
  • I agree with PP's. Waiting a year unless there is other history or signs and symptoms is a good idea.

I'm 30, and I made an apt with my OB because AF was so short and irregular and I had no idea what I was doing! At the the time it had only been 6 months of TTC.
    My OB wanted to order a blood draw to check levels of my FSH and LH on day 3 of AF.
    Once they came back normal, she just said keep charting and trying for up to a year.

**After being on this board and learning more about TTC, I realize that was prob unnecessary testing that early in TTC.**

Ps: I used an outside lab covered 100% by insurance, so no out-of-pocket costs on my part. No harm done just an unwarranted needle poke.

Even if the test is covered 100% it isn't free. You pay for it through your premiums. The harm done by unnecessary testing is that it ultimately raises bealthcare costs for everyone.

I know a blood draw isn't expensive and I don't know if testing for thyroid levels at 6 months is warranted or not - I don't know enough about it. But I think there's a flaw in your logic that if it is unnecessary, it's NBD because insurance covered it. Someone always pays for these services, even if you don't see a bill right away.
    January Siggy Challenge: Happy Dance

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP #1: 10-25-11, MC: 11-1-11 @ 5w5d
     BFP#2: 12-29-11, DS born September 2012
    TFAS: July 2014, BFP#3: 12-29-14
    , EDD 9-9-15

• Loading the player...
  • slh33 said:
    I vote OB wants to make some dollah billz off of this.
    This. When I mentioned trying for 8 months prior to DS she literally wrote me a clomid script and said see ya. Then I found this board, trashed my clomid and switched OBs.
    This is what I'm inclined to think. However, I do think it's interesting that FF and TCOYF also mention seeking help after such a short period of time. She's going through with testing, starting with a SA for her husband. I think it's a big premature for 5 months of ttc but since it was offered, I don't blame her for taking it. Just curious for other opinions.
    TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Holiday Movie:
    ~Santa Claus is Coming to Town~

TTC #1: July 2014
    Me: 31  DH: 29
    DX (me): Inborn error of metabolism - protein restriction, metabolic formula & weekly blood tests
    DNA Results (7/1): DH is NOT a carrier for my genetic disorder! 
    7/3: Metabolic clinic gave the green light to TTC - holy crap!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"