January 2015 Moms

Overly Emotional Today

I am having a rough day.  Why is it some people always start to feel depressed as the holidays near?  I asked my mom this morning what the plan was for Thanksgiving and didn't get much of an answer which really bothered me.  My husband will be working on Thanksgiving this year so it's just me and my 3 y/o daughter. 

Growing up we always spent the holidays with family.  My parents divorced when I was fairly young, but we always had the holidays with my mom, uncle, grandma and grandpa and now that we don't have that it makes me really sad.  It always makes me sad, maybe it's pregnancy emotions but it has just gotten to me so much today.  I came home from work early because I just didn't know how much longer I could hold in the tears.  I talked to my husband about it and he just doesn't understand. 

I would have Thanksgiving on my own, but being pregnant I just don't have the energy to do a whole lot of anything.  Anyone ever feel this way around the holidays?  What helps to get thru the holidays? 

I just need some cheering up.....

Re: Overly Emotional Today

• Every year we go to MH's parents place for Christmas, but not this year (it would require too much travel that wouldn't be safe at 37 weeks). I'm sad, not so much for me but for MH. But I'm using it as an opportunity to start our own traditions.
    We never go "home" for thanksgiving, so every year we do thanksgiving with our friends. If you don't want to be alone, what about inviting some friends over? Do you have any friends who will also be alone on thanksgiving?
  • My husband often works thanksgiving and it can be a real bummer. All my family is far away as well. I started a tradition with my kiddos a few years ago- we go see a movie and then get Chinese food (most Chinese places are open on Turkey day). Then we celebrate with my husband on a different day. It's fun for us- I will usually take them to the park too (we live in a warm climate) and we have the place to ourselves! We both work in healthcare so our kids have learned to be flexible about holidays (Christmas isn't always on the 25th, etc). Maybe creating your own fun tradition would be helpful? When the kids get older I plan to add volunteering to our day.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"