November 2013 Moms
Options

Weaning from the pump for daytime

Anyone else weaning from the pump for daytime right now? I do not remember this being as painful with DD1, probably because she started sleeping through the night at 9 months and so weaning started earlier.

DD2 is still up at least once a night to nurse. I've been dropping my day time pumps 1 per week, but I still get letdown throughout the day and my left side gets so achy by the end of the day. I want to kep nursing when I'm home, but I am so over pumping at work. I just wish it wasn't so painful to quit.
IVF, acupuncture, meditation and a miracle. 

Our sweet Valentine's Day FET.

Re: Weaning from the pump for daytime

• Options
    I went from 2 pumping sessions to 1 about 6 weeks ago then stopped pumping about 3 weeks ago. I still nurse at night without a problem and I'm not uncomfortable during the day. LO takes whole milk to daycare. I had some issues with plugged ducts the first week I stopped pumping but about 3 days later I was alright.
  • Options
    I just went from 3 to 2 pumps at work like @Sing2phins‌ described. I'm stressing that LO will not have enough milk but she takes way less than what she used to so I guess it's time to start weaning the pump. Has anyone experienced pains in breasts from weaning? Or am I going crazy?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I used the method of just stretching out the time more and more between pumps... dropping from 2 to 3 was easier, but dropping from 2 to 1 was more uncomfortable because my milk levels were so high in the morning. 

I would get really engorged trying to wait to pump until 10, so I just kept pushing the time back 15 minutes and would stick to that for 2 days then push back another 15 minutes... etc. and also I reduced the amount I was removing from the boob. I went from pumping 8-9 oz at my first pump and got it down to 6 oz and that made it easier to push the time longer because I wasn't as crazy full. 

I have done a really gradual reduction and haven't had many problems. I bet I could go all day without pumping now because I only pump at noon and only get 4-5 oz. 

Something that helped me a lot is feeding LO from both sides in the morning. That helped me not feel so lopsided since LO also STTN. The unlucky boob was being asked to go from 5:30 PM til 10:30 the next morning and that's just a really long time. If I let LO nurse on both then it was way easier to wait until late morning.

N '13 January Siggy Challenge
    ~*~ Winter Weather Fails ~*~
    AnniversaryBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"