Illinois Babies

Best Places to Deliver

I will be living in Northbrook by the time this baby (#2) arrives, and since I had #1 in Minneapolis, I have NO idea where the best spots to deliver in the Chicago area are.

I am trying to figure out where to deliver before I select an OB.  Any recommendations?  

Thanks!

Re: Best Places to Deliver

• Prentice was fantastic, but it's downtown.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I delivered at Evanston and had a wonderful experience. Highly recommend it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

BabyFetus Ticker

Me: 25, DH: 28
    Married: July 2012
    DS: December 2013 
    TTC #2 since July 2014 
    M/C: March 2015 
    My Ovulation Chart
  • Loading the player...
  • I delivered at Lake Forest, and it was a good experience.
  • Prentice. Hands down.  Its part of one of the best hospitals in the world. Literally.

Evanston is a good hospital, but overall Northwestern is just better.

No one ever plans on anything going wrong, but something they do. (It did for me, I had a premie) So it was worth the extra drive to know that I was at the best hospital possible, in the area.

• Prentice is a beautiful hospital with great quality of care, no doubt.  Just to tag onto the previous posters' comments, it sounds like you are planning a normal delivery, but in case something does go wrong, I would not want to deliver at Prentice if I lived in Northbrook.  I had a rare OB complication in develop in my second trimester (totally out of the blue) which required hospital bed rest, an early delivery, and NICU time for my preemie.  If I lived in the burbs, it would have been difficult to make the daily trek downtown after I was released (especially since I had a medically required c section), and for my DH to visit me daily while I was on bed rest.  I had this happen to a friend of mine and she & her husband actually had to rent an apartment in River North (to the tune of $2k/month) to be near their son during his 5 month NICU stay.

Lutheran General is probably the best option closer to you with a level 3 NICU and excellent quality care.  Just to keep in mind in case this is an issue for you.   I am not looking from this from the standpoint of how "pretty" the hospital rooms are, and what perks are available, etc.- just where you would get the most specialized/advanced care for a critical situation, and close to you.  Unfortunately living through the preemie experience makes you think this way.  =)

GL!

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• I live very close to Northbrook and will be delivering at Lutheran, my best friend delivered there in late October and had a great experience
  • marirosem07marirosem07 member
    edited January 2015
    My original ob was out of Masonic but my bf and I just switched to a new dr out of Evanston (where he was born and down the street from his parents). I haven't done my hospital tour yet, but so far I'm really pleased with the switch, especially the amount of classes they offer, including the one for introducing dog to the new LO.

BabyFruit Ticker

A15 Siggy Challenge: Workout Fails

• Has anyone got a recommendation for an ob/gyn near Lakeview? Masonic, covenant and prentice is what I'm hearing for delivery, has anyone had a water birth at any of these? Thanks!
  • I'm delivering at Masonic. Not sure about water births (although they do have an alternative birthing center) but their Certified Nurse Midwives have been awesome so far.
  • I am delivering at prentice and I think my OB has an office in Northbrook (Association for Women's Health). I've also heard good things about Swedish covenant in the Lincoln square area.
  • Thanks ladies... I'm think waaay too far ahead (not even pregnant yet) but I want to get the right OB to begin with so I can deliver where I want haha. Good luck with your pregnancies! :)
  • Prentice was nice but it's not the place to be for a normal birth with no complications.  I would highly recommend West Suburban Midwives if you're having a regular pregnancy and want a natural birth.  Their midwives are like the baby whisperers! 

https://www.westsubmidwives.com/