April 2014 Moms
Options

Water or breastmilk in cereal?

We just introduced solids to my EBF baby. I want to start sending cereal for his "breakfast" at daycare (after I've fed him of course). Do I need to add breastmilk, or is water ok? I'm just sending oatmeal if that makes a difference...

Also, how much would you send? And what should be the cereal:liquid ratio?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Water or breastmilk in cereal?

• Options
    I just use water. I don't have enough BM stored to use for cereal. We are using oatmeal and we do a 1:1 ration. One tablespoon of cereal to one table spoon of water (give or take a few drops). Sometimes I'll toss a little puréed food on the side and let him have that.
  • Options
    We aren't giving Liam cereal, but if we were we'd use water. Our Ped. said not to waste breastmilk on cereal.
    ~ Leah, Rachel and Gabriel were born on May 27, 2013 (23 weeks) ~ Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We use water and applesauce or pumpkin purée. I don't have enough BM for cereal.

• Options
    We use breastmilk and the ratio on the container says 1 tablespoon oatmeal to 4-5 tablespoons breastmilk. We're using Gerber oatmeal.
  • Options
    I usually use pureed fruit then a little bm to thin it out. I use it more as a fruit thickener than a cereal.
  • Options
    I started with BM thinking it would help acclimate him with something familiar tasting. I switched to water within a week or so though because it was a lot if extra pumping for me if I wanted to make any bottles too. He didn't miss a beat when I started using the water.

Off BC since 9/10;TTC since 7/11
    Me: 31 DH: 31
    DX: PCOS/anovulatory/Hypothyroid
    SA: normal
    HSG: all clear
    5 cycles of Clomid/Femara + TI
    IUI #1 (7/16/12) Femara 2.5,+ Trigger=BFN
    Treatment break Aug. 2012-June 2013
    IUI #2 (7/27/13)=BFP!!!
    Beta #1 @ 13dpiui --145!
    Beta #2 @ 19dpiui--2,550!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I use water - no time to pump for cereal. Sometimes I add it to purees
  • Options
    I'm barely pumping enough for bottles, and I'm not sure I want to dip into my freezer stash for freezer milk! I'm thinking I can add what extra breastmilk I had from the day before to his morning cereal, then add water.

• Options
    If I have BM ALREADY pumped or thawed then I use that if not I use water but if you are sending to daycare I would just use water because that's a lot of waste BM if they forget to use it or do it in a timely manor

February SIggy Challenge: Fav Movie/TV Couple

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I was using BM but I had the same issue as some of the other posters - not enough BM to have extra for cereal.  So I started using formula the other day because I was going to start adding some formula to her diet soon anyway and she loves it.  It had not even occurred to me to use water.  My pedi said you can use juice, but that just seems kind of gross - oatmeal mixed with apple juice?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"