Trouble TTC

My husband is refusing to do a semen analysis, help!

xhochixxxhochixx member
edited October 2014 in Trouble TTC
I have a question. Is anyone else having/or have had trouble getting their SO to do a SA? We have been TTC for 3yrs. I have gone through 2 surgeries for ENDO,hysteroscopy, chromotuberbation and 6 months of pure hell on lupron! I have been on Femara, had several trans vag u/s, given myself injections, and  I am taking Metformin. My RE want's to try doing an IUI this next cycle, but my SO is being a butt about going and getting it done. He want's a baby just as bad as I do, so I don't understand what his hangup is!!! All he has to do is splooge in a cup!!! That is NOTHING compared to what I have been through. Any advice/stories on the subject?
BabyFetus Ticker

Re: My husband is refusing to do a semen analysis, help!

• xhochixxxhochixx member
    edited October 2014

I have been thinking that may be the cause, which I have tried to talk to him about. He just gives me weird excuses everytime, such as "oh I drank this week, or I wore briefs" which he thinks would "throw off the tests". I understand his reservations, but it is so expensive to have all this testing done, so it is frustrating to me that he wont do it. I mean, as much as I don't want to find out that it isn't just me, but possibly MFI.. I just don't even know. My RE actually had me do 2 rounds of femara-with labs, u/s and other precautions, before requiring an SA. Because my SO couldn't/wouldn't come in. Now that it is to the point of IUI he needs to do it. I just don't want to wait even one more month to do so, and so it is important that he complies. I am trying to be sensitive to him.. I just am having a hard time.

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • DH has hesitant at the beginning. RE had him do the SA as part of our initial testing, however, after 3 medicated natural cycles and once it was time to do the IUI's it was a struggle. I agree with LindseyM2012 and ask your SO what are his reservations/hesitations with the SA. DH didn't mind intervention with medications however his overall picture of us having a baby did not include IUI/IVF as part of the process. He wanted to have it naturally. Once he got over letting go of that idea, he was on board. Good Luck
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Years Resolutions 
    TTC since 10/2010 (Rhythm method since 2007)

Me (33) Sept 2012 - DX Low ovulation/progesterone, Luteal Phase Defect. HSG 5/2012: both tubes are open, cervix and lining look good;
    September 2014 DX Hashimoto's; November 2014: PCOS IR

DH (37) Sept 2012 SA Normal; October 2014 Mild MFI count 42 Million, Motility 36%, Morphology 2%. Clomid 50mg,
    2004 Cyrosurgery, LEEP
    May 2012 - HSG Clear; June 2012 - Appointment with RE
    July 2012 - October 2012 - Clomid 50mg W/ TI & Progesterone 3 mature follicles- BFN
    January 2013 IUI #1 (900,000 post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 2 mature follicles - BFN
    February 2013 IUI #2 (1.3 Mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, TI & Progesterone 4 mature follicles - BFN
    March 2013 IUI #1-3 (2.5 mil post wash) Clomid 50mg, Baby Aspirin (lining thinned) TI & Progesterone - 2 mature follicles BFN
    April 2013 Benched due to cyst, May 2013 WTF appointment
    June 2013 DH SA mild MFI break for 2 months to re-test; August 2013 - DH SA 36 Mil count, 36% Motility, Morp 2%
    September - December 2013 - Mental sanity Break
    January 2014 - IUI #4 switches to natural due to scheduling conflict Femara TI & Progesterone - 1 mature follicle - BFN
    May 2014-June 2014 - DH Appointment w/ Urologist to check Bi-lateral Varicocele; 2nd opinion w/ another urologist - bi-lateral varicocele dx is slight no surgery
    July 2014 DH starts clomid 25mg daily SA 53.8 Mil count, Motility 37%, Morph 3%;
    September 2014 DH Repeat SA after being on clomid for 3 months 42 Mil Count, Motility 36%, Morph 2%
    October 2014 Me: Hashimoto's DX, DH taken off clomid;
    November 2014 Me: new RE PCOS IR Diagnosis
    December 2014: IUI #4 Follitism 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, BFMFN

January 2015: IUI #5
    Gonal-F 75iu 7 days, TI, IUI & Progesterone, Another BFMFN onto IUI #6

• xhochixx said:

I have thought maybe that may be the cause, which I have tried to talk to him about. He just gives me weird excuses everytime, such as "oh I drank this week, or I wore briefs" which he thinks would "throw off the tests". I understand his reservations, but it is so expensive to have all this testing done, so it is frustrating to me that he wont do it. I mean, as much as I don't want to find out that it isn't just me, but possibly MFI.. I just don't even know. My RE actually had me do 2 rounds of femara-with labs, u/s and other precautions, before requiring an SA. Because my SO couldn't/wouldn't come in. Now that it is to the point of IUI he needs to do it. I just don't want to wait even one more month to do so, and so it is important that he complies. I am trying to be sensitive to him.. I just am having a hard time.

TOTALLY understand the frustration. Especially because you've gone through the battery of tests yourself. You can't force it though, sadly. He has to come to the realization that this has to be done and that you both will deal with whatever the test shows. The best thing you can do is reassure him of that and encourage him the best you can. He'll get it done. It may not be on your ideal timeline, but he'll get ready.

Me: 28  MH:35

Married September 2012. TTC since September 2013

June 2014 - Dx w/ significant PCOS and referred to RE.

July/August 2014 - Testing complete: Testosterone & AMH very high, FSH slightly high, Vitamin D low, tubes and lining all lovely. DH SA: A+

Cycle 1 (Nov 2014): 2.5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI = BFN

Cycle 2 (Dec 2014): 5 mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

Cycle 3 (Jan 2015): 5mg Letrozole/Ovidrel/TI - BFN

WTF consult scheduled for 1/29

• Also, apparently I can't spell.. or use proper grammar.... My brain cells are zapped. (pls forgive meh)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Oh I understand your frustration. My husband was not keen on doing it either at first. In time he came around. Taking my husband to the doctor with me and having the doctor tell him instead of me made it easier for him to accept. Now he's done it so many times, it's not even an issue. Hope he comes around. Good luck.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

• My husband was fine with the SA until it came back with a concern of motility (turns out he's fine) and then was moping around the house until he found out it wasn't a concern, so there's probably a fear of everything not being okay and his pride being hurt.  

Married: 8/25/13 - TTC #1 since May 2013 - Met with RE June  2014
    BFP #1 August 2013 - Suspected Ectopic September 2013
    BFP #2 May 22, 2014 - MC May 27, 2014
    BFP #3 June 30, 2014 - MC July 6, 2014
    BFP #4 IUI cycle #1 October 10th - ectopic identified October 24th
    ****Looking to start IVF next round since I've had 2 ectopics*** 
  • My DH was hesitant because he was afraid his sperm might be the problem. He smoked an insane amount of weed in his younger years so he was worried (I've read weed is bad and that it doesn't make a difference). I told him all the testing I had to go through and that in order to proceed with treatment he would have to suck it up and get it done. My RE will not move forward with any treatments until all tests, including infectious diseases tests come back. He gave his sample, hoped for the best and came back with insanely healthy results. So much so that he is very proud of his swimmers....

Your husband probably is afraid there is something wrong and doesn't want his ego hurt if there is an issue. My only advice is to tell him again how much you have gone through and it doesn't take much to give a sample and for gods sake it's pleasurable!

Me: 33, DH: 32

TTC: 2 years
    Fertility blood tests all normal
    Tilted uterus
    3 day ultrasound 17 follicles
    HSG: 11/13/13- tubes open
    DH SA: SUPER sperm (145 million, 84% motility, 22% morphology)
    All infection disease and immunity blood tests NORMAL

FIRST IUI May 2014: 100 mg Clomid days 5-9, third ultrasound CD 13 revealed four follicles 27, 24 and 20 and 13mm. Trigger shot May 28 with IUI May 29 and 30 (fingers crossed) - BFN started spotting 11DPO :(

IUI #2 B2B 6/23 and 6/24, three mature eggs and 130 million sperm! FX this is the month!  BFN 7/8

3rd cycle benched due to cysts - TI with OPK tests -  BFN

3rd mediated cycle: Clomid+Trigger+TI  (three follies left side, one on right as usual....what the hell right ovary get it together and produce some damn follicles!) 7DPO progesterone level 43 with NO suppositories YAY for a natural strong ovulation. Beta canceled started spotting 13DPO - Third time is not a CHARM! 14 day cycle WTF! Everything looks normal - RE wants to start injectables next cycle so this cycle I'm benched

Officially benched until March....but still plan on trying the baking soda douche due to my excessive and thick CM

JANUARY SIGGY CHALLENGE...This is so me!

Love this man....he was so before his time in his thoughts and ideas about the world....been obsessed about him lately bringing it back to the early 90s.

Never thought I would like long hair....

• xhochixxxhochixx member
    edited October 2014

LOLZ, my DH was also a huge pot smoker.. Not anymore.. but I'm glad to hear***, that atleast in your case it was fine! haha 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • This issue my DH had with it was the actual process. The thought of having to produce a sample in the doctor's office completely freaked him out. Thankfully, we live close enough to my RE's office that she agreed to allow him to do it at home and get it to her office within 45 min.
    Although he did voice to me that he was worried about what the results might be.

We've had to do it 3 times now (SA, 2 IUIs), and it's gotten pretty silly. The whole Ok, ready GO!, run to the car, hold it between your legs or in your shirt, keep it warm, oh crap! traffic!, etc... 
  • My RE is letting us do the SA at home and just bring it in which makes it a lot better.  My DH was ok with it as we wanted to find out what is going on and make sure we dont have any other issues.  Him being there with the doctor also really helped us.  Good luck!
    Married: 12/15/2012    TTC: 08/2014
    Husband: 26 SA: normal
    Me: 23 Low AMH and damaged ovaries due to chemotherapy.
    No AF or O in 3 years. HSG showed a slight T shaped uterus.

High Risk OB 9/29- got the ok to get pregnant.
    RE Appt:  10/28/ U/S showed follicles, but also small damaged ovaries.
    B/W results CD0: all normal except low AMH at 1.3
    Cycle 1-November (TI)- Femera 2.5mg, 2mg Estradoil, and Trigger=BFN
    Cycle 2-December (TI)- Femera 2.5 mg ,4mg Estradoil, and Trigger= No O
    Cycle 3-January (TI)- Femera 5 mg, 2mg Estra
    doil, and Trigger=

• SO didn't want to take the SA either. His hesitation was that something would be wrong and he wouldn't be able to have biological children. We talked about it and I explained that the same thing could be said about me when i do testing, but that we needed to figure out if there was a problem to maybe try to fix it. Docs wouldn't give me a referral to do testing without getting him tested first. Turned out there was an issue. And he moped for a little then got over it.
  • My H was hesitant at first too. I asked him about making an appointment to do it one day when he was already going to be home from work, and he told me he didn't want to. Then, a few days later, out of the blue, he said, "Call to make that appointment tomorrow." All he needed was for me to back off so that he could make the decision on his own.

TTC since July 2012 
    BFP 5/22/13. Lap. to remove ectopic and dx with endo. 6/16/13

RE consult: June 2014

DX: FVL, endo, hypothyroidism, blocked left tube

Oct. 2014: First treatment cycle: Clomid+trigger+IUI=BFN

November 2014: Clomid+trigger+IUI again=BFP!

BFP 11/28/14 MC discovered 1/14/15

Blogging to stay sane

• Also, did I really just put "here" instead of "hear" SMH X_X
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • mbrookeRN said:
    I'm all for being supportive and understanding of why he doesn't want to do the SA, and how he might be scared to find bad news, and blah blah blah.  But really, you need to remind him of all the shit that you have been through. All you are doing is asking him to masturbate.  That's it!  You're just asking him to do something he already does on a regular basis, anyways.  I don't see the need to baby him here, he is an adult who supposedly wants a baby just as much as you do.  You are not asking much of him.  He should be happy to get off the hook so easily.

I'm so glad my husband had no issues with his... I would have no tolerance for that behavior.

I hope he comes around soon!  Good luck with your testing.
    This. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Resistant husbands need smacked. Across the cheek works but I prefer I good whack to the back of their head, blindside style.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry your DH won't do the SA. It sounds like you've already been through so much! My doctor talked to my DH at the one year visit about getting the SA. He would have done it anyway (I'm bossy) but it was nice that the instructions didn't have to come from me. Good luck!

TTC since Sept. 2013
    09/14: New anterior 3cm Fibroid on U/S, no change in size 11/14
    10/14: SA normal
    12/14: next RE appointment - cancelled due to BFP
    BFP on 11/21/14, EDD 08/03/15

• It took a long time to convince MH. Then he refused to follow the doctor's advice as far as the correct wait time. Then he wanted to wait years after getting bad results before moving forward with any treatment. Then he was in some kind of denial and repeatedly remembered his numbers as being much better than they were (I'd have to go get the paperwork evidence every time). I think SAs can be very difficult for men because their masculinity is at stake.

MH still balks every time he has to give a sample for IUI. It's annoying because obviously we women have to go through so much more.

Could you schedule a consult with you and YH and the RE where the RE would make sure he understand why IUI is so important for you guys as opposed to TI? Or where the RE kind of reviews all those treatments you've had and then makes light of how YH will now have to be "splooging" in a cup?

MH tends to trust the RE and ignore everything I saw about IF. Maybe hearing if from a pro would make YH more cooperative?

Also, though, each time we do IUI, DH gets a little better about it. It's like it was a shock to him but he is getting more used to it.
    January 3T Siggy Challenge - New Year's Resolutions
    imageimage

Me (29), DH (30) TTC actively 54 55+ cycles | All BFNs
    MFI (low everything) | Endo Stage 1 & Stenotic Cervix (treated) | PCO
    Married - July 2008 | Started TTC - Jan 2009RE Visit #1 - Mar 2014 
    IUI #1 ICI #1 - June | IUI #1.1 Laparoscopy - Aug
    IUIs #1.2, 2, 3 - Sept, Oct, Nov (Letrozole) - BFNs 
    IUI #4 - Dec (Bravelle) | IUI #5 - Dec/Jan (Bravelle) - 5 follies + TI - BFNs
    IUI #5.1 - Jan (Bravelle) Cancelled 
    Planning to start IVF in March!
    ***All Welcome***
  • I may not be much help. I would be like OP and get extremely frustrated with MH unwilling to do the SA, especially after all the testing I did and with him making up a number of excuses. I agree with PP that having your RE explain it to him and that you can't proceed with out it may be the kick in the butt he needs.

MH was willing to do SA right from the beginning but of course he was nervous that something was wrong as well. I told him we needed to make sure he was good because I was not and this would complete the entire puzzle. His SA came back amazing and he wanted to frame it.

On the other hand, he is super reluctant to do an IUI. It isn't how he nor I imagained making a baby. We talked about are feelings towards it and the possibility of this but agreed not to even go there until he was comfortable taking that step.

Diagnosed PCOS 2013
    7th Round of Fertility treatment (Femara + Ovidrel + IUI) 12/14 = BFP. DS born Sept.15 
    Natural BFP Feb 2017. DD born Oct. 2017
    Natural BFP Aug. 2019, EDD April 2020

• I'm sorry, this would infuriate me. My DH wasn't exactly thrilled with the prospect (who would be?), but ultimately he knew it really should be done, so just did it (with a little bit of half joking whining of course). I will say I think it did help him to have a couple months of warning to get used to the idea. I say this would make me angry because of all the stuff we women have to do. I would be very hurt if he wasn't willing to do his share. And while I was very understanding that it was not a fun thing, and was supportive when listening to DH complain, my patience would have run out quick if he was refusing month after month for various reasons. After a few months of that, I'd be done subjecting my body to any more tests or injections. Maybe I am a bitch, but I think this makes logical sense - no amount of me putting myself through this hell would matter if there is an issue with DH.
  • Am I understanding that you have been TTC for 3 years and haven't done a SA yet? That's crazy!

Sorry you have to go through this, but he needs to put his big boy panties and do his part of the job. End of the story.
  • So sorry your having to deal with this on top of everything else. My DH didn't have a problem doing a SA. His only problem was, that he didn't want to have to sit in a tiny room with a cup and magazine. Ha Ha. Thankfully, he was able to collect his sample in the comfort and privacy of our home and I transported it to the lab. Hopefully, he will come around and do the test, so you can both move forward. Good luck with your journey.
  • When DH balked about doing SA after I had been poked and prodded I looked at him and said we can always use donor sperm. He went in the room and produced the sample. It was hard to have sympathy for him. I mean he's been doing this since he was like 13 years old.
    Me: +35 DH: +35
    TTC: Since January 2013 
    DX: PCOS. Severe Endometriosis, Unicornuate Uterus w/only left tube and left ovary, Pedunculated fibroid (on the outside of uterus) and Anovulation. All conditions diagnosed 8/13
    TX: Metformin
    DH DX: MFI - low morphology, low motility
    Ultrasound shows both kidneys in spite of UU. 
    HSG showed clear tube on the left side. 
    Lap Surgery performed 1/9/14 to remove fibroid and endo (Stage 3)
    • IUI# 1 June 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 13: BFN
    • IUI#2  July 2014 started 100 mg of Clomid - 7dpiui Progesterone: 5.75: BFN
    • Natural Cycle - so shocked to be in 2WW - 7dpo Progesterone: 15.5: BFN
    • Working with new RE starting injectables in late August.
    • IUI #3 August 2014  w/ Menopur: BFN
    • Finally ovulating on my own!!
    Waiting to start IVF hopefully
    **********All Are Welcome**************
    3T January Siggy Challenge: New Year's Resolution

• Well said @mbrookeRN‌ I totally agree. My husband bitches about taking a stupid supplement daily, try getting injections, bloodwork and a dildo shoved up you daily. If he had the nerve to bitch about the SA I would be pissed.

TTC #1

Me: AMA, DH: MFI

Official DX - MFI due to Hemochromatosis

IVF #1 Nov. 2014 - ER 11/10 (10R 6M 6F) - ET 11/13 

3DT of 3 embies - no frosties - CP = BFFN!!!!

****All Welcome****

imageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"