March 2015 Moms

Dh lost one of his jobs yesterday

I just need to vent for a minute guys. My husband worked part time as an auxiliary police officer and it was almost 25% of our income. They got rid of the entire department yesterday. That's over 80 people, including some they just hired who shelled out $4000 of their own money for their equipment. My husbands been with the force for 7 years. Basically, these guys do cruiser shifts for free but can get road details and they work a huge fair every September, paid. Those road details and the fair made us a lot of money.

We're very fortunate that he still has his full time job but the way the other department went about this is shitty. All the surrounding towns knew about this before any of the officers did. Many of the guys had to hear about this from the other departments. The real kicker is that now they're switching to actual part time officers, who they'll have to pay salary and benefits for. Apparently the fair doesn't want to pay for he actual officers and think they can get by with rent a cops. If any of you live in MA or New England I'm sure you know the fair I'm talking about. Please tell me how rent a cops are I supposed to handle millions of people? My husband would normally apply for the part time but it looks like they'll implement an age cut off which he won't meet. This just fucking sucks. My husband took a ton of pride being an officer and to get shit on out of nowhere has left him pretty upset.

Re: Dh lost one of his jobs yesterday

• I live on the MA border so I know exactly what fair you're referring to and no. There is no way rent a cops are going to be able to handle that amount of people. That is so horrible I'm so sorry you and your husband are going through this. Unfortunately we've been learning the hard way apparently a lot of businesses in this area operate in the same shady fashion which is just immoral IMO. Idk how many of these people sleep at night knowing what they're doing to families such as yours. Hope everything works out ok for you guys.
  • I'm so sorry!  That is super shitty of them.  I can't believe they would do that to so many people. I wonder if it was politically motivated somehow.  It just seems like more and more these days all companies are worried about is the bottom dollar, not how their decisions affect people's lives and it really pisses me off.

I can almost guarantee it was. It was the mayor and the new chief. This will come back to bite them. And I have a feeling these officers aren't going to go quietly.
  • Loading the player...
  • That's awful! Rhode Islander here- but I know the fair too. Is there a change.com petition or anything that we can sign for you?
  • That's terrible! I'm sorry that happened.
  • That is so awful. I am so sorry.
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary

• This is ridiculous! I just can't understand why the saftey and well being of people is less important than the almighty dollar. Such crap.
  • We have real cops at our smaller more local fairs here in CT let alone huge multi-state participatory fairs (why are we avoiding naming the fair? How is that revealing? Thousands of people staff it and such). Anyhow, I'm sorry you and your husband are dealing with the loss of this job.
  • That is so horrible! I'm so sorry they did that!!
  • We have real cops at our smaller more local fairs here in CT let alone huge multi-state participatory fairs (why are we avoiding naming the fair? How is that revealing? Thousands of people staff it and such). Anyhow, I'm sorry you and your husband are dealing with the loss of this job.

I have no idea why I didn't name it actually. Guess I thought better safe than sorry.
  • I'm so sorry to hear this mama!  My husband went through a job loss a couple of years ago that not only sucked financially but was also conducted in a really shitty, underhanded way.  That feeling is the worst.  I'm sorry you two are dealing with this.

BabyFruit Ticker
    For Suzyq
    and all M15 Losses
  • Oh no, I'm sorry. That's got to be really upsetting for everyone.
    - - -
    Me(33) & DH(33) - Married 2012.08.18
    TTC #1 since Aug 2012
    BFP#1 2012.12.14 - EDD 2013.08.23 - MC 2012.12.26
    BFP#2 2014.03.12 - EDD 2014.11.16 - MC 2014.05.23
    BFP#3 2014.07.17 - EDD 2015.03.28 - Feeling Hopeful!
  • Im so sorry that sounds real shitty of them to do that to decent men with no notice 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

photo march_zps6c968eb7.png
    BFP! June 25, 2014        EDD: 3/4/15
    Married May 2011 
    Me 27 -- DH 31 
    Loving parents of 2 beautiful chihuahuas 
  • That sucks! I'm so sorry! Unfortunately in cases like this they'll take a "short cut" and wait until something really bad happens to realize that you get what you pay for :(

I know without the HPD at the Houston rodeo, we'd have a serious safety issue on our hands and it sounds similar for you.

Let your husband know there are those of us out there that still completely admire what he does and thank him for us. :) hugs!
  • That sounds so unfair. I'd be upset too.
    Me(29), DH (29)
    Married December 2011     TTC#1 Since November 2013
    Dec. 2013... BFP! 12/31/13... Natural M/C 1/29/14 (8 weeks)
    July 2014...BFP!... 17dpo beta 581...19dpo beta 1419!!.. stick baby, stick!
    EDD: 3/20/15.. It's a boy!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • That blows. I'm sorry.
  • I'm sorry, that sucks.

I'm assuming it's the Topsfield Fair and it sounded extremely overwhelming as it was, so I'll be sure to avoid it knowing there's less safety there now.

Me: 29, DH: 30

Married: April, 2011; TTC: July, 2012

Dx: MFI; June '14 IVF w/ ICSI: 11R, 8M, 5F... 1 5dt, beta #1: 213, beta #2: 621, beta #3: 8545!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • KT416 said:

I'm sorry, that sucks.

I'm assuming it's the Topsfield Fair and it sounded extremely overwhelming as it was, so I'll be sure to avoid it knowing there's less safety there now.

No, it's the big e.

Thanks for the support guys. In the scheme of things I know this isn't a huge deal but it doesn't make it suck any less. I just can't wrap my head around a department choosing to pay guys when they have tons that are willing to work and sacrifice for free.
  • That really sucks. I am so sorry.

• I'm so sorry!  That is super shitty of them.  I can't believe they would do that to so many people. I wonder if it was politically motivated somehow.  It just seems like more and more these days all companies are worried about is the bottom dollar, not how their decisions affect people's lives and it really pisses me off.

I can almost guarantee it was. It was the mayor and the new chief. This will come back to bite them. And I have a feeling these officers aren't going to go quietly.
    I agree 100%. I'm in Greater Boston and also know what fair you're referring to. I'm so sorry about your H's loss. Hopefully your family will be able to recover.
    TTC #1: Jun 2014. BFP #1: Jul 18, 2014. DD born Mar 2015.
    TTC #2: Aug 2015. BFP: #2: Nov 9, 2015. EDD: Jul, 21 2015.
    Vow Renewal: July 1, 2017.
  • That sucks, what a crappy way to communicate with your department!! Sorry you guys have to deal with this. Is overtime pretty scarce in general or are there other contracts he could get onto?

My husband is also an officer and he takes on several contracts a year just to supplement income for the fun stuff we do so I totally understand the frustration of him losing that extra income. My husband has a couple contracts with some high end hotels etc. Stuff where he is less likely to be hurt or have to engage much. He already puts himself in enough danger, I would hate for something to happen on an OT shift.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • LBeez13 said:
    That sucks, what a crappy way to communicate with your department!! Sorry you guys have to deal with this. Is overtime pretty scarce in general or are there other contracts he could get onto?

My husband is also an officer and he takes on several contracts a year just to supplement income for the fun stuff we do so I totally understand the frustration of him losing that extra income. My husband has a couple contracts with some high end hotels etc. Stuff where he is less likely to be hurt or have to engage much. He already puts himself in enough danger, I would hate for something to happen on an OT shift.

He'll lose his badge, so no details or shifts period. He'll have to pick up another job come springtime, at least until I can look for part time work, which he doesn't want me to have to do.
  • That is just awful. I'm so sorry you guys are going through this!

Surprise! Baby #2 EDD 7/28/17
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not in New England, but I am sorry that you and DH have to deal with this added stress with a baby on the way. It makes me sad that someone who is working for a greater good and for his family has been put in that situation. To say it is 'unfair' is an understatement.
  • Ugh. That sucks. Sorry to hear it.
  • That really sucks - I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this!

image  image

TTC #1 May 2014

BFP 7/4/14 ~ EDD 3/17/15

My Chart

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm sorry, that sounds like a crappy situation all around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    MC: 2/19/14

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Sucks so much. I really think this will come back to bite them in the ass, but then, the damage will have been done. Big fairs are definitely NOT a place for rent-a-cops. I'd have your hubby apply anyways, age cutoff or not. You never know.
  • I'm so sorry about this. I think it is a terrible decision they made. I hope your family will be okay

Pregnancy Ticker
  • That is ridiculous. I'm sorry you guys have to go through this.
  • If you link to a change.com (or whatever kind of) petition I'll sign!

Thank you. We're going to wait until they have their meeting before doing anything. Supposedly they'll be hand picking 20-25 guys to be part time and if that's true my husband has a small shot. But we also found out this is entirely due to the fair, they simply don't want to pay half a million anymore. Or they didn't want the officers to carry guns. That place needs police officers. Badly. Especially having firsthand knowledge of what goes on there, I almost don't want to attend anymore. Fingers crossed there's a small silver lining in this.
  • I'm so sorry you're dealing with this! And no-freakin-way should rent-a-cops be the only security at the Big E! That place is a madhouse! Awesome, lots of fun, and filled with deliciousness, but crazy. Large crowds + alcohol tend to do that. I'd sign a petition too. Let me know!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• I am sorry to hear that. Law enforcement is an expensive field to go into and getting hired is time consuming.

My husband spent tons of money out of pocket for equipment got hired on by a department by the chief, but the assistant chief didn't like that he was in the navy reserves, so he was let go (which is illegal but my husband didn't want to risk a possible career with another dept). He ended up getting hired by the sheriffs dept which has a totally different uniform and had to do 6 months unpaid training (after the academy).

Hopefully he can get an age waiver or find something similar with a nearby town.
  • I'm so sorry this happened!! Sending huge hugs your way. I hope he can find some way to put his police skills to use -- its sad to hear how much pride he got from it that was just ripped away. :( 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"