November 2014 Moms

36 weeks 2 days. In pain and need advice

So I'm 36 weeks and 2 days today. I have had a fairly simple pregnancy without issues thankfully. So around 30 weeks or so I started getting sciatic nerve pain along with pain in my groin. My Dr. said it's from the weight of the baby and my body not being used to it. She stated as long as it didn't hurt to lift my leg or go up stairs I should be fine but as it is it was actually to that point. So she said I should consider physical therapy. At that point the pain was only when I moved around a lot so I decided against it. Well at the start of week 35 the pain was constant in my groin area and getting worse now. I'm trying to keep working so as to not waste FMLA time before my baby boy comes. I don't know what to do. If I go now I'd be losing whatever time he takes to show up. If I don't go now I'm afraid I'm going to push myself into labor for pushing myself through the pain. As for my job, I work taking care of children at a residential facility. We are currently low in numbers and only have 3. So I manage to only go to 2nd floor which is the girls floor and we only have 1 girl but there is walking back and forth necessary to monitor her during shower time. After that it's back downstairs for dinner which will consist of me walking around if kids wants seconds of food. Back upstairs to brush teeth and again down to do again evening activity. After activity it's back up to bed. After bed time I can stay on the 2nd floor for a good 3 hrs unless I need to go to the bathroom which consists of going downstairs and back up to my post until 1230am when I go down to leave for the shift. What do you guys think? Should I take leave sooner? Just now I came up for bedtime and the stairs I climbed made me cramp and made my stomach feel heavy. Thankfully I'm sitting now but I've had to use the bathroom and don't want to go all the way back down and up again.

Re: 36 weeks 2 days. In pain and need advice

• alysonmhalysonmh member
    edited October 2014
    I've been in horrible pain due to my sciatica and herniated disks (from before pregnancy) and have been at risk for pre-term labor since 28 weeks and the pain has not caused me to go into labor. My pain is pretty intense, many times to the point of me vomiting because it's so bad and I've never gone into labor. I don't think you are going to go into early labor just because you are uncomfortable (almost all of us are really uncomfortable), but if you are just at a point where you don't want to work any more because you're uncomfortable that's different and it's okay to bow down and take a break before baby comes if it's what you want. It's probably also important that you ask your doctor if he thinks it could cause early labor if that's what your real concern is. A lot of pregnant women develop sciatica and I've never heard of one going into labor because of it.
  • Loading the player...
  • I am on my feet most of the day as a physical therapist in a rehab center so I feel your pain. I've had an extra physical last few weeks of work, but no labor yet. Have you tried a maternity support belt?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I had cervical stitch, at 26weeks due to risk of early dilatation and preterm labor which was a very serious concern. So I had been on bed rest on and off too. With increasing discomfort and this history I decided to take my maternity leave early. It's totally worth it and I am quite comfortable now physically at 36wks 2 days

I think it's v healthy and good for baby to stay inside atleast to full term 37weeks so, a few weeks of early leave is a good decision.

Decide what you feel is the most appropriate for you.
  • @mefl187‌
    I'm a therapist (occupational). I work with some PTs. I sit on my body ball at work. I also squeeze a ball intbetween my knees and try to sit with my legs closed. If you pay attention most pregnant women sit with legs spread wide open since belly and baby are in way. I also do a wall squat with legs closed and try to hold 1 minute at a time to work quads and stretch hamstrings. Heat has made mine worse so I like to put rice pack in freezer and put that on my back. I feel much better the next day. Not that any of that may work. I have scoliosis and that's what I do for that. I get sciatic nerve pain as well.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
  • I'm sorry you are in a lot of pain! I totally understand. I have a job where I'm on my feet a lot, lots of bending and squatting and pushing heavy carts. My lower back and pelvis alternate between aching and sharp sciatic nerve pain. 

Listen to your body and your intuition. I am going to stay at work, because I want all my FMLA with my baby, but I use a lot of techniques to manage/handle the pain at work and at home. 

Here are some things that have helped for me:

-making sure to wear supportive, flat shoes
    -maternity support belt
    -heat therapy (I have a flaxseed heating pad that I heat up and use on breaks and have also used those stick on heat patches on really bad days, electric heating pad when I get home)
    -using a birthing ball as a chair at home
    -pelvic tilts, cat/cow yoga positions, stretches that I learned from physical therapy
    -Tylenol won't make it go away, but may take the edge off
    -massage ball for self massage on the back and massages from partner (or a friend!)
    -water therapy (baths and swimming)
    -body scan meditation (Jon Kabat-Zinn is a good author to check out re: meditating for pain relief/management)

Of course, this isn't a quick fix, so I recommend doing physical therapy and/or seeing a chiropractor if you can. Best of luck to you! We'll be over it soon! :)
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • Also, everybody's experience of pain is different, so mine might not be as severe as yours. There is no shame in going on leave early. Only you know what you can handle! 
    BabyFetus Tickerimage
  • You may want to consider asking your employer for certain accommodations that may make your day easier. In certain states, there are laws requiring reasonable accommodation for pregnancy related problems.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • It sounds like your doctor gave you an option to help with the pain - physical therapy. Just curious, why haven't you tried that? It certainly has a better chance of working than doing nothing at all.
    If you are concerned about going into labor from the pain, ask your doctor if they believe that's a problem.
    A good, reputable chiropractor who has experience working with pregnant women should also be able to help.
  • Congratulations your little one is almost here! How exciting. It sounds like you have a very busy job! I would encourage you to do what you feel is the best for your son and your body and if that's not working as long as planned thats ok. Congrats again and Ill keep my fingers crossed for an easy birth and fast delivery! ((Hugs and Love)) Emren0316
  • Chiropractor or physical therapy!!!! Could be covered by insurance. Why suffer through pain without looking into that suggestion???????
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"