November 2014 Moms

Another car seat question - which side?

What side of the car did (or will) you install your car seat on - driver's side or passenger's side? Why?

Re: Another car seat question - which side?

• Middle is safest, both sides are equally safe.

If you have to pick a side, choose where you can get the best install and think about your parking habits. For example, do you park street-side? Do you want to get baby out on the driver's side where cars are going by? Or perhaps the passenger side will be a hassle during winter if there's a bunch of snow?

We have captain's seats, I put toddler DS behind the driver and new baby will go behind passenger. No real reason, except the infant seat takes up more room than the convertible seat, so I put it behind passenger for that reason (driver legroom).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • We installed on the passenger side. We wanted to do the middle but it wasn't very compatible with our car unfortunately. I feel like for parking it will be easier to take him out of the passenger side than the driver's side too. Some owner's manuals will tell you where it is recommended in your particular vehicle.
  • Loading the player...
  • abbyful said:
    Middle is safest, both sides are equally safe. If you have to pick a side, choose where you can get the best install and think about your parking habits. For example, do you park street-side? Do you want to get baby out on the driver's side where cars are going by? Or perhaps the passenger side will be a hassle during winter if there's a bunch of snow? We have captain's seats, I put toddler DS behind the driver and new baby will go behind passenger. No real reason, except the infant seat takes up more room than the convertible seat, so I put it behind passenger for that reason (driver legroom).

This, to a T!
  • edited October 2014
    I've heard good arguments for both:
    Passenger side: if your child is fussy and you look back/twist your body towards the passenger side, you will be less apt to swerve into another lane than when you try to look back at a baby behind the drivers seat (the officer doing the safety check suggested the passenger side because of this for first time parents).

Drivers side: for when you only have one child in the vehicle! Drivers are trained to look left-right-left to protect themselves, so having your baby on the same side as you are will be more of a protective factor for your baby.

What I chose and why: Drivers side! After spending years as a nanny and having 1-3 children in the vehicle with me at a time, I know that I have no trouble with being distracted by a tantruming toddler or crying infant in the back. If talking to the child doesn't soothe them, I would rather (and always did) find a safe place to pull over rather than taking my attention off of the road. In my Sienna, there is also a mirror (above the rear view mirror) where I can see all of the rear seats, also decreasing my chance of twisting back and veering off the road.
    To add in another factor, come January/February in Northern IL, I will be thrilled to not have to walk all the way around the vehicle during the freezing cold/snow storms :-)
  • With only one we had DD's car seat in the middle. Posted to soon, I wanted to add if the middle is an option for your vehicle it is the safest. If you are ever in a accident it is right in the middle furthest away from windows.

The owner's manual of both of our cars clearly state not to put the car seat in the middle.

• Thanks for the input so far ladies!  In my husbands car, we installed on passenger's side for driver leg-room.

In my car leg-room isn't an issue, so I was trying to think of the pros and cons for each side. According to the owner's manual of both cars, the middle should not be used.

• I did passenger's side so it's easier for me to see LO and so when she is older she'll be on the side away from traffic when I get her in/out. Way too far for me to even contemplate reaching back there in our minivan, but being able to see if there is a problem makes me feel a lot better.
    Miney 9/15/10
    Mo 11/4/14 
    Wait, What?!? - EDD 11/1/19
    Mothers get 1 day off

• I installed mine in the center- this is the most safe. I have heard conflicting opinions on which side is safest otherwise. I read that the driver's side is safer because you instintively protect your side in a collision. BUT when having my seat inspected yesterday I was told that the driver's side is more dangerous because the most severe accidents are head on collisions and the main impact comes from the driver's side.
  • The middle is safest and that's where DS was up until a few months ago.  He is now behind the passenger and the baby will be behind the driver.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• So many of you are saying that the middle is safest - I assume that this is because it is away from the side in the event of side impact. But if the middle is so safe, why does the owner's manual recommend against it?  We have a Jetta and a Blazer - the owner's manual for both say to install on one side or the other, not the middle.

• sj+cm131 said:

So many of you are saying that the middle is safest - I assume that this is because it is away from the side in the event of side impact. But if the middle is so safe, why does the owner's manual recommend against it?  We have a Jetta and a Blazer - the owner's manual for both say to install on one side or the other, not the middle.

Yep, it's safest (if allowed, and if you can get a good install) because it's farther from the impact on either side.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Reading these responses plus the input of friends, I feel lucky we can install in the middle with latch and it fits behind both seats fine.  I have a small car, and if middle hadn't been an option I would do passenger side.  Simple reason - there is not room to carry a car seat out the driver side between the garage wall! Or for that matter, open the door enough for me to stand inside it.

For my husband's vehicle, if we can't do middle the decision will be based on if I can carry the seat around the corner to the door.  The second row is too far back to reach anything from the front seats, so that doesn't factor.  Plus, on passenger side there is no opportunity for his drivers side back door to dent my car.  

Does no one else have small garage problems? lol!
  • All the comments on the snow thing.....thats making me think maybe driver side would be better....lol.

I guess I can change it later on if I decide trucking through knee high snow is too much of a pain come winter time.

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

• We installed behind the driver's seat in my car because there's no latch connection in the middle and getting the baby in/out of the car seat in our garage will be easier on the driver's side, more room.

TTC since Sept 2011, Unexplained IF
    Oct 12 - Jan 14: 3 clomid/TI cycles, 2 hysteroscopies, 2 IUIs, 1 BFP (MMC @ 12w), 2 more IUIs
    Feb 14: Gonal-f + IUI #5 = BFP! (EDD 11/4/14)
    Baby boy arrived 11/13/14!

• edited October 2014
    DH installed it behind the driver seat, I don't think middle is an option for us either. Why he did it there...I don't know ;;)
  • I wanted middle, but they're are no latch attachments there, so I ended up with passenger side. I picked it because it's easier to see the seat and possibly if needed hand the baby something at a stop light or something. Also, better leg room for me while driving.
    This exactly for us, too.
  • I don't have a middle seat in my SUV - just two bucket seats - so we opted for passenger side for a lot of the reasons mentioned above. If the snow on the street becomes an issue I'll move it over to my side. I have a really big SUV so leg room isn't an issue for me on either side.  

• @lovebuggies1‌ my car seat inspector also said head rests are a no no so I'll be removing mine too. As well as the padding on the straps- I'll have to cut that off as they're sewn on. Apparently the car seat mirrors are dangerous too because they can become projectiles or shatter.

So much to worry about!
  • I really wanted to get one of those mirror thingies but I guess that's out.
    :(( Has anyone found a way to have a mirror that doesn't turn into a weapon in the event of an accident?
  • If the vehicle manual says not to use the middle, then don't. You have to follow it and the car seat manual. Also, if you are using latch in the middle seat, make sure it is actually designed for the middle seat, not the inside latch from each of the outside seats. Hope that makes sense.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • If the vehicle manual says not to use the middle, then don't. You have to follow it and the car seat manual. Also, if you are using latch in the middle seat, make sure it is actually designed for the middle seat, not the inside latch from each of the outside seats. Hope that makes sense.

Yes to the latch for the middle! This is the major mistake we had made prior to having the seat inspected. Don't use the latch connected for the side seats if the car seat is in the middle.

Also, apparently the belt and the latch are equally safe ways to install the seat. I read this on Lucie's List and also heard it from my inspector.
  • I originally had my car seat installed in the rear passenger side but I recently went to a car seat safety event at my hospital where a certified technician had moved my car seat to the middle, saying it was the safest place. Obviously if your car doesn't have the capability to hold the car seat in the middle, that isn't an option but I was told the passenger side would be the next best option.
  • @lovebuggies1‌ my car seat inspector also said head rests are a no no so I'll be removing mine too. As well as the padding on the straps- I'll have to cut that off as they're sewn on. Apparently the car seat mirrors are dangerous too because they can become projectiles or shatter.

So much to worry about!

Dammit. One day I'll get this stuff right. What if the glass is safety glass? (Idk if it is or not but wouldn't they make them that way if they sell them in baby section?)
    I was wondering that too. You would think they would be safety glass for sure. I guess the mirror itself could still become a projectile in a collision or rollover. All that being said I have still purchased one and haven't decided if I'm going to use it.
  • Follow up question to everyone saying they "can't" install the carseat in the middle: did your car manual actually say not to under any circumstances or just not with the latch (because the latches are actually for the outboard seats)?

I know sometimes the latch wouldn't be available but I've never heard of a hard exclusion to installing the carseat in the middle with a seat belt ...

I'm still learning about carseat safety so I'm curious ... Thanks!

image image image

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Oh and even though I think the topic has been thoroughly hashed out, I'll throw in what we've done ...

DS1 was in the middle until we installed the infant seat for DS2.  We've moved DS1 (Diono RadianRXT) to the passenger side outboard and DS2 will be in the middle (both with a seatbelt install).  The latches are available for the outboard seats but I've heard that the seatbelt install can save a little front-to-back room and the Diono takes up a lot of space.  SO and I are both tall and carry most of our height in our legs so leg room is a big deal.

We chose that arrangement because it'll save leg room for the driver and the Diono has side-impact protection (whereas the infant seat does not).  Also, while snow isn't an issue in FL, rain is and it's nice to be able to buckle the boy(s) in without having to stand in the rain when we're leaving somewhere.

image image image

• @PineApple85‌ do you have the angle adjuster for your RXT? If not I highly suggest it. It makes the seat more upright for older kiddos and will give you 2-3 more inches of room front to back.

• @PineApple85‌ do you have the angle adjuster for your RXT? If not I highly suggest it. It makes the seat more upright for older kiddos and will give you 2-3 more inches of room front to back.
    @jillybean7582  I do and it helped tremendously; we also reclined the seat that the Diono is installed in as much as we could .  We just bought a 2012 Pathfinder (we had a full-size sedan previously) and I was actually surprised at how much trouble we are having installing the seat so that the front passenger seat is comfortably usable by myself or SO.  We actually have just started sitting in the middle row with DS1.  :P

Don't get me wrong, there's room in the front for most people but SO and I both have exceptionally long legs.

image image image

• I've read that another reason the mirrors aren't recommended is that they can lead to inattentive/distracted driving because the driver might take his/her eyes off the road. Has anyone else heard/read that?
  • Follow up question to everyone saying they "can't" install the carseat in the middle: did your car manual actually say not to under any circumstances or just not with the latch (because the latches are actually for the outboard seats)?

I know sometimes the latch wouldn't be available but I've never heard of a hard exclusion to installing the carseat in the middle with a seat belt ...

I'm still learning about carseat safety so I'm curious ... Thanks!
    We tried ours in the middle with the belt (no latch available) and it wasn't nearly as snug or secure as the side seats were. I think it was because of the hump that our suv has in the middle seat. The side seats offered a much more snug fit with the belt or the latch, so we didn't use the middle.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • runningmama14 said: Follow up question to everyone saying they "can't" install the carseat in the middle: did your car manual actually say not to under any circumstances or just not with the latch (because the latches are actually for the outboard seats)?
    I'm still learning about carseat safety so I'm curious ... Thanks! We tried ours in the middle with the belt (no latch available) and it wasn't nearly as snug or secure as the side seats were. I think it was because of the hump that our suv has in the middle seat. The side seats offered a much more snug fit with the belt or the latch, so we didn't use the middle. That makes sense but I saw several people comment that the manual said
    not to use the middle seat.  I can't remember if you were one or not.

image image image

• Our manual didn't say that, but I know a lot do. I'm sure it has to do with how the vehicle rates in crash tests.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I initially had mine behind the driver because in case of an accident I want to be able to get the baby out quickly if I'm the only one in the car. My aunt had a bad accident recently which is why I wanted driver's side.

However, as others have said, the car seat inspector told us to go with the middle because it's safer, so we changed to the middle.

Based on comments above, I just checked my manual (Honda Accord) and it says any seat in the back is fine, including the middle, but that they recommend back passenger's side, with the passenger's seat all the way forward and nobody in it...like that's practical.
    It's a girl! Due November 22, 2014
  • Driver's side only because Peanut's seat is already strapped into the passenger side and I moved Sweet Pea to the back so she get's his spot.
  • I did the drivers side because I can't reach baby from my seat either way. We have an Acadia so there are captains seats. I actually locked my son in the car on an accident when he was 3 days old on my 1st outing with him. Getting in and out was a hassle all day. I threw all my stuff on passenger side (keys included). Got out and hit the lock by habit since that's what I did when I was not a mommy. Luckily he slept in the car for the next hour while waiting for my car to be unlocked!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"