1st Trimester
Options

Excuses to tell people why you aren't drinking

I just TODAY found out I'm pregnant! :) I'm 4 weeks :) My honey and I have had a Halloween party at our house planned for some time now and all of our friends will be here. We don't want to tell anyone until I'm further along (and have told our families!) but all of our friends will be wondering and asking me why I'm not drinking. Does anyone have any good ideas for excuses to not drink alcohol, without giving away our secret? :)

Re: Excuses to tell people why you aren't drinking

• Options
    My friends don't care about what I ingest. My guess is your's don't either. If they do ask say you just don't feel like drinking....
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've been telling friends that I'm trying a new diet and no alcohol is allowed for 30 days.

Aren't you still debating whether or not you're pregnant?
  • Options
    Correct. We don't know yet. But I'm choosing not to drink while we TTC and I've already been asked by some nosey friends about my beverage choices.
    BabyFruit TickerimageimageimagePhotobucket
  • Options
    I might just fake it. Vodka soda is my usual drink and my friends have joked before that it looks like water. So I might just drink my sparkling water in a red solo cup and run when they talk about shots ;) lol!
  • Options
    Correct. We don't know yet. But I'm choosing not to drink while we TTC and I've already been asked by some nosey friends about my beverage choices.

oh I see. Makes sense.
  • Options
    If it were me I would just say I wasn't feeling well. I mean I guess that can lead to the old 'ohhhhhhh are you pregnant?!' But you can side eye them and simply say no. Not their business and there is nothing wrong with telling them no.

It's a BOY

• Options
    I think you think your friends will be more concerned than they actually will. I like the diet excuse, saying you aren't feeling well, or you are hung over. I doubt they will press as much as you think they will, unless you have told everyone that you have been TTC.

Congrats! I hope you have a happy and healthy nine months!

• Options
    I would just fake it. We are going out for my birthday November 15, our first appointment is November 19 (which is my actual bday) so we won't be telling anyone before hand. I think I will just ask the bartender for a mix drink with no alcohol. We will be with my siblings and friends, and they know I don't drink much. So it will only take 1 or 2 fake drinks to convince them. Lol :) we plan on telling them on thanksgiving.
  • Options
    Say your on antibiotics and can't drink
  • Options
    I would fake it. I drank my non alcoholic beer in a zip up coozie whenever I was faking it.

I was at an event at 8 weeks where all the beer was draft so I just carried it around and nobody said anything. Whenever I'd go to the bathroom I just poured a little out.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I said that I was on antibiotics and it worked like a charm. It's not good to mix antibiotics with alcohol and I did it once at a wedding (when I wasn't pregnant of course) and got SO sick after one drink. Lay the ground work now saying you think you have a sinus infection or UTI or something if you have any prying girlfriends.
  • Options
    I've done soda water with lemons, and it looks like a vodka soda.  Or I have also asked a bartender to make me a drink that LOOKS like a cocktail.  Works every time. :)
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Thank you for all of the comments and advice everyone! I'm going to drink my sparkling water or juice from a solo cup and call it a night ;) I do like the antibiotic excuse. There should be enough people here to distract away from myself! Plus when they start drinking they probably won't notice anymore! Haha ;) And no I didn't "use to drink waaay too much" but we play drinking games like beer pong and flip cup so I'll be on the sidelines ;)
  • Options
    I faked it with friends. Talk a little louder, laugh a little longer. Haha! Time to test your acting skills :-) For me...it's going to be hard to with my in laws. We have Sunday dinners and I've been skipping on the wine.. And they know I love wine! I said I was doing a 90 day cleanse.. That ment I had to skip out on certain food too( so it was believable). We want to share the exciting news at Christmas. If you make things believable, they won't question you :-). Good luck!
  • Options
    Can the explanation ever be, "I just don't feel like it." ? :-??
    haha, I tried that with my sister when she wanted to bring over a bottle of wine to share and I was all "no thank you" and she was like "OH MY GOSH YOU ARE PREGNANT."  But then again, that's probably because it's my sister and I can't lie to save my life.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I had this issue at Oktoberfest. I always volunteered to get in the beer line, so when I returned no one really noticed there wasn't a beer for me. I would also order two at the time, and hold one until my husband was ready for another.
  • Options
    I faked it at a family party on Saturday. ILs bought a bunch of booze for the occasion and it would have been pretty obvious if I just happened to decide not to drink. DH poured me a "vodka and soda" that was just soda. It worked out perfectly.
    BabyFetus Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I went to Vegas and couldn't drink, so I drank Shirley temples with lime or cranberry and sprite in small glasses and people thought I was just drinking cranberry and vodka. It's ok not to let the news slip before you're ready.
  • Options
    MDodge117MDodge117 member
    edited November 2014
    I am having this same issue- I just walk around with a beer in my hand and then switch it with my husband's empty beer when no one is really paying attention...
  • Options
    My Trick when someone asks me if i want a glass of wine or champagne is to pretend i'm hesitating and then politely decline. Works for me, but then again i'm not a heavy drinker to begin with.
  • Options

A lot of people told me "I WONDERED why you weren't drinking at that party!!!" when I announced my pregnancy.  One of my friends watched me like a hawk at a wedding and cornered me and said "I know your secret."

Some people are just way too nosey for their own good.  It is what it is.  You'll find yourself in plenty of social situations where you'll be acting differently than you normally would so you may as well get used to it now.

• Options
    I have a friends Thanksgiving coming up, and unfortunately my friends will definitely be on to me at this occasion if I don't have at least one drink of something.  They know me too well :).  My plan is either to take an empty beer bottle (I'm sure my husband won't mind helping me empty it...) and filling it with water.  If you're more of a wine or mixed drink person try to find something that looks like it and put it in the glass.  
  • Options
    We went out on Saturday night. I tried the antibiotics idea which worked like a charm, except now we're invited to a bbq with the same people this coming weekend. I think we'll just have to decline as my antibiotics story won't work for two straight weeks lol
  • Options
    The party went great, honestly most people were too drunk to notice. As long as I was drinking my sparkling water with lime from a red solo cup, no one questioned me. At the end of the night I was able to take a friend couple home who were too drunk to drive! I've gotten pretty good at thinking up excuses on the fly. Today I went to Chili's with some coworkers after a work meeting (that ended at 1:30pm) and they were all asking why I didn't order a drink. "I have to pick my stepdaughter up from school in an hour..." Worked great. Haha
  • Options
    I've wondered this as well. We aren't super heavy drinkers, but when we have a family dinner or get together we always have a few beers. I can't think of a time I turned down a beverage, so I don't think the " I just don't feel like it" excuse will work.

I told my family that both my husband and I are not drinking before the holidays because we are cleaning up our diets and want to cut useless calories. Maybe that will work for you?

Good luck!
    Where there is love, there is life.
    -Mahatma Gandhi-

!*All Welcome**!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage

Happily Every After: 05/22/2009
    Me 28  The Tower Climber 27
    NTNP Since January 2014
    BFP #1- Nov 10, 2014 EDD July 19, 2015 MC Nov 20, 2014 (5wk 4d)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"