April 2014 Moms

Sleep deprivation

so my perfect sleeper got sick a couple of weeks ago. I used to get a solid 7-9 hours to her 11-12 hours of sleep.

Now though, I get two hours, up two hours, sleep 3 hours, maybe 4 then back up. Then she's power napping during the day and one big nap in the evening.

I'm so tired!! I will take all the tips/tricks and voodoo you can throw at me.

Her nighttime routine: bath or shower, pjs, music, nurse to sleep.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Sleep deprivation

• I have no voodoo for you, DS doesn't sleep longer than three hours and that's only for the first sleep of the night.  After that it's two!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We're in the same boat. We were sleeping solid from 8pm-6am with three naps during the day. He got an ear infection with a horrible cough and now we're up...all the time. Our most recent schedule is getting us up at 4:45am. Sucks!
  • Loading the player...
  • No help here, but welcome to the Mombie club! My LO barely sleeps at all - never has.
  • Team no sleep here as well. No advice but don't feel like your alone! ~O)
  • Coffee or Spark and a daily walk for mama and the knowledge that it HAS to get better at some point.
  • I depressed myself today by looking at my average duration of sleep for the last month. 1 hour 34 minutes. I'm. Going. To. Die.

Also, that 6 hour 45 minute sleep happened once and my 3 year old was up 3 times during it because the universe hates me.
  • So much love for the sleepless mamas. I went 6 months and 21 days sleeping most frequently for 90 minute stretches, with an occasional 3-4 hours thrown in (maybe once a week, probably every other week).

Then we worked on slowly night weaning (she normally was up at 12,2, 4, and 6 for the day, so I woke her at 11, 1, and 3 to nurse for her normal 8 minutes, then 7, then 6, etc keeping the 11/12:00 one at 8 minutes, then cutting that back), and last week, MAGIC! To be fair, she was always easy to put to sleep, she just didn't stay that way, so I only had one battle to fight rather than the 'I don't want to go to sleep/I don't want to stay asleep' situation that I had with DD1, and that I'm sure many of you have.

Just wanted to say I get it, and somehow this worked for DD2.

::passing the caffine IV::
    *Married 10.10.08*
    TTC #1 9.09 - BFP#1:2.18.10= missed m/c, D&C 4.16
    BFP#2:10.22.10=Avelin born 7.2.11
    TTC#2: 2.13 - BFP#3: 7.25.13=Kelsey born 3.31.14
  • ksulli said:
     Then we worked on slowly night weaning (she normally was up at 12,2, 4, and 6 for the day, so I woke her at 11, 1, and 3 to nurse for her normal 8 minutes, then 7, then 6, etc keeping the 11/12:00 one at 8 minutes, then cutting that back), and last week, MAGIC!  
    I like your idea!  I've been trying to figure out how on earth to reduce the wakings. I will be implementing this tonight with major hopes!  
  • meetmow said:

ksulli said:

Then we worked on slowly night weaning (she normally was up at 12,2, 4, and 6 for the day, so I woke her at 11, 1, and 3 to nurse for her normal 8 minutes, then 7, then 6, etc keeping the 11/12:00 one at 8 minutes, then cutting that back), and last week, MAGIC!  

I like your idea!  I've been trying to figure out how on earth to reduce the wakings. I will be implementing this tonight with major hopes!  

FYI - Ferber recommends stretching out feedings by 1/2 hr each night. This seems to be working pretty well for us so far.
  • Oh! So sorry to welcome you to the club!

Baby E is not a napper at all (unless she is latched, ugh!), and last night she woke every 90 minutes and then was up for the day at 4. These awful nights are tempered by the fact that, every once in a while we get a six-hour stretch.

The lifesavers: 1.) Splitting night wakings with my husband! I found he has a way easier time of putting her to sleep when she's not hungry. I feel like she sees me and thinks "food!" even if I just fed her 45 mins earlier (also, she has reflux and I try to go at least two hours between feedings). 2.) If you're bf-ing, side nurse once during the day and take a nap! I know it's supposedly a huge no-no to let your kid sleep while latched, but hey, I'm just trying to survive here. She eats and then we both fall asleep. 3.) Co-sleep. Once I've trotted out to her 4 or so times during the night, I can't take it anymore and side nurse her in my bed.

I can't be a good mom to her during the day if I am too tired and frustrated to even smile at her! Do what you have to do--that's my advice. Good luck!

• I haven't slept through the night in two years so I totally get it. DS2 stilk wakes at least 3 times a night, most of the time, more.

• steph1977 said:
    ksulli said:
    FYI - Ferber recommends stretching out feedings by 1/2 hr each night. This seems to be working pretty well for us so far.
    Sharing your pain! I'll second Ferber's recommendation for stretching night feedings. We were up every 1-2 hours for the last few months, and we're now more in the 2-3 hour range, with a magical 4.5 hour first chunk last night. I only fed twice last night, which is so much better than the 5-6 I was doing. We started Ferber on Friday, so it's been great progress already :). And, FWIW, LO has cried much, much less following Ferber than the suggestions from the No Cry Sleep Solution. Fancy that. 
    TTC #1 since August 2012 |  BFP August 17th, 2013  |    EDD April 25th, 2014
    Living with Vestibulodynia (Chronic pelvic pain)

• nycgirlkatnycgirlkat member
    edited October 2014
    I thought it was just us! DD is 6 months. She is a crappy napper (maybe 3, 30 minute naps a day tops), but had been sleeping through the night beautifully. She got her first cold early September and we haven't slept through the night since! I get some teaser nights where she will sleep through and then boom! Next night up every 2 hours or so. She isn't hungry, she stopped waking for feedings around 4/5 months and I do sometimes try to feed her, but she will have 2 ounces and fall asleep.

I know that I am staring down the "I created a sleep crutch monster" barrel because DD is a motion to sleep junkie and I rock and give her a bottle at bedtime so I know what I have to do to break it, but am dreading it.
  • I called myself a mombie to a friend and she looked at me like I was insane..

I can't help it if my sleep deprived brain thinks it's hilarious.
  • DS never has been a great sleeper but he has a cold right now and it's been terrible. Last night he was up from midnight to 3 am straight then up for the day at 6. So tired

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Jazma11Jazma11 member
    edited October 2014
    I literally don't know how I am still living. I figured I would die by now with how little sleep I get. But somehow you just pull energy out of your ass and continue to function. Coffee helps. IF we have an amazing night, we get one 3 hour stretch. Usually up every hour or less.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"