Working Moms
Options

have an 19 month old girl, just found out i'm having a boy!

NYMOM101511NYMOM101511 member
edited October 2014 in Working Moms

Happy Monday all! Yesterday I found out I’m having a boy!! 

Currently I have a 19 month old girl, who is absolutely amazing (of course J). 

When I first got pregnant, I just kept picturing another girl, and how they would grow up together and be best friends.  Most likely it’s because I have a sister,  and we are best friends,  truly always have been, and I realize what a blessing it is that we are so close. 

So when I found out I was having a boy yesterday, although I know how blessed I am, and how happy I should be to have one of each.  A part of me is a little disappointed, please do not judge me for admitting this.  I know I will snap out of it, I think I convinced myself so much that I was having a girl, probably because it’s what I experienced growing up, it’s all I could imagine.  Has anyone experienced this?  

Re: have an 19 month old girl, just found out i'm having a boy!

• Options
    I know how you feel.  When I was pregnant with DD I expected her to be another boy.  I had this vision in my head of the boys sharing a room and doing all of the typical boy things.  It took me a bit to get "into" girl stuff.  Now that DD is 1.5 and she and DS have started to play together I think that they will still have that "best friend" relationship that I always imagined.  They adore each other and play together really well.  I love that our house will be filled with both "boy" toys and "girl" toys and think that they will benefit from having each other.

We are two and done, so the only real negative is having to buy new clothes for each.  I have to admit, though, coordinating boy/girl special occasion clothing (Christmas, Easter, etc.) is the BEST!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    aww thank you! That makes me feel much better!!  That's what i'm hoping, that they will be best friends!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a girl who turned 2 in July and a boy who turns 6 months old later this week. We felt the same way, particularly DH, who really wanted another girl. But DS is just so stinking adorable, and he already worships his big sister. And she dotes on him. I do think they are going to be great friends. I've found its fun having one of each close in age.
  • Options
    This is so interesting to me! I feel like so many times people want one and one and are disappointed if they have 2 boys or 2 girls.  I am currently expecting number 2, we wont find out until December what we are having but I genuinely dont care either way.Before I ever had kids I always wanted one of each but now that I have DS, I just love him to bits and would be totally happy with another perfect boy to snuggle.

While I havent had those feelings myself, I can say  for sure they must be normal because lots of people I have heard having them.  I have the feeling that I dont know how I can possibly love another child as much as DS, and I feel bad for DS that he has to share me, Hes only 20 months old so has no idea whats going on. Its going to flip his life upside down.
  • Options
    Thank you all for making me feel better. @DJM31012 i feel the same.  I love my little girl so much and she is so attached me,  I absolutely love it, and a part of me thinks just because i'm having a boy it won't be the same, but i know im probably just being crazy.  A part of me also feels guilty that she has to share me with someone, but i guess that's because i just don't know what it's like yet. Once i have my son, and get into a routine, im sure things will get easier, and I will love nothing more than having one of each.  I'm sure they will be best friends, if I raise them like my mom raised my sister and I to always remember family comes first and having a brother or sister is a blessing.  
  • Options
    Thank you all for making me feel better. @DJM31012 i feel the same.  I love my little girl so much and she is so attached me,  I absolutely love it, and a part of me thinks just because i'm having a boy it won't be the same, but i know im probably just being crazy.  A part of me also feels guilty that she has to share me with someone, but i guess that's because i just don't know what it's like yet. Once i have my son, and get into a routine, im sure things will get easier, and I will love nothing more than having one of each.  I'm sure they will be best friends, if I raise them like my mom raised my sister and I to always remember family comes first and having a brother or sister is a blessing.  

I have a DD and a DS, 19 months apart. I think no matter the sex, adding another child to the mix is always a bit scary. I am an only child so I really overthought how everything would work, but it just does.

My DD and DS are complete opposites so it is really interesting to watch. My son is much more affectionate than my daughter. It is the best thing to watch them together. My older DD watches out for her little brother and helps him and he always has to know where she is. I know that some day soon they are going to be fighting all the time, but it has been great so far:)

DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
  • Options
    I only have one so can't totally relate, but when we were going to find out the gender of LO I didn't care either way what the gender was.  My H wanted a boy, so I sort of wanted that for him.  I couldn't see what the point was of wanting something you can't control.  Then our appointment came, they told us she was a girl, my H was super excited and I cried for 4 days lol.  I was picturing a boy I guess and the shift of thought was really overwhelming for me for some reason.  I didn't even know I cared until we were told she was a girl. It was a crazy week and a definite adjustment of thinking, and feeling guilty, of course, for needing to adjust.
  • Options
    Its nice to know so many people can relate!
  • Options
    I have a boy and a girl, and they love each other. They don't know about gender differences, really. Except that DD wishes she could stand up to pee.

My brother and I were best friends when we were kids, and we're still very close.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    I have a DD that is 3 and a DD that is 5 mo. I know exactly the feelings you have. And I want to tell you that besides wishing my daughter had a sister (we are two and done), I LOVE EVERYTHING about having a little boy. He is just so stinkin' cute! It's nice not to compare and it's fun shopping for little boy clothes! Congratulations- enjoy!!

• Options
    I understand.  My DD will be 3 in March and I am due in Dec. with a boy.  I actually grew up with a brother and I always wanted a sister.  I mean, my brother and I were close growing up and we played together but as I got older, wished I had someone to share clothes with and talk about boys.  Also, now that we are adults we are fairly close but my brother is not much of a talker.  I don't know if it's just his personality or if it's because guys don't really talk much. 

Anyway, for these reasons I really wanted another girl for DD.  And also because I absolutely LOVE having a girl.  Now though I am super excited about having a little boy.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh! Just thought of another plus for you. We adore DD. She really was the sun in our and her grandparents' universe. After the 5 seconds DH was disappointed, he said, "You know, it's really better this way. They will each have a special place since they are different genders. It would be hard to be DD's little sister and it would be hard not to compare two girls." I loved DH for that perspective.
  • Options

I know exactly how you feel! I was disappointed at my ultrasound when we found out that we weren't having another girl. I grew up with three brothers and always wanted a sister. I think that is why I wanted DD to have a sister so badly. It wasn't meant to be though and I love my little boy to pieces.

When I was upset after my ultrasound my best friend said that DD would have to go out and find an honorary sister like we did. It got me thinking that just because DD won't have a biological sister I hope that she is as lucky as I have been to find some amazing friends who have become like sisters to me over the years.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"