December 2014 Moms

Fit Friday

Hi all - Happy Friday! Hooray for a weekend!! This is a check-in for anyone who is trying to be active (whatever that means for you!). If you're new to the check-in, jump on in. 

How did your week go? Were you able to fit in some fitness? 

So I'm tempted to ask you all my weirdest fitness question, which is: Do superheroes have to work out? Or is constant fitness just part of having superpowers? If not, I wonder what a superhero gym would involve....

But for a more serious QOTW: 

How are you doing with the changes to your stamina/abilities during this pregnancy? 

Baby GIRL born 12/11/14!!
MC @ 8 wks 7/6/13 - ectopic @ 6 wks 12/28/13

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

Re: Fit Friday

• Ugh @megbmeg. I've been avoiding this thread because between my DS being sick and the outrageous number of appts I have lately, I haven't been able to get to my classes. It is so lame and makes me feel icky. I'm hoping to start up next week as a fresh week and make it to the gym at least 2 or 3 times. I'm walking when I can.

Psh-superheroes are just born all fit and stuff.

QOTW: I slowed down a lot even in first tri. I find that my legs fatigue very quickly when I'm pregnant. It happened almost immediately even though I was in better shape than a long time when I first got pregnant. So for me it's been about doing as much as I can and not feeling bad about it. I know that I'll bounce back as soon as this child is no longer sucking my vital energies. :D
    Lilypie - (vGZN)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP2: 10/27/13(edd 7/10/14) "Speck" ~ M/C 12/5/13
  • I got in 5 miles of hiking this week. This week was pretty bust because of the weather, hopefully there will be more sunshine next week.

I think it depends on the super hero. Superman doesn't need to work out because one of his powers IS super strength. The hulk I would say is a mixed bag because when not in hulk form he isn't very strong and exercise cuts down on stress so it might be in his best interest. Iron Man needs to handle his heavy suit and the regular beatings he takes so I'd say he definitely needs to work out on the regular. Captain America is stronger but still needs to workout to get an extra edge against stronger opponents. Not that I've thought about this ....

As for handling the changes, I'm just rolling with the new changes. Sometimes its harder dealing with the lung capacity and balance changes that started in 3rd tri. Yesterday for example, I tried to walk at my normal pace and just kept getting winded. I HATE walking slow, but I've only got ~6 weeks left so I'll just suck it up and do the best I can.

• Loading the player...
  • This week I really started feeling super pregnant and slowing down x100!!

45 min of outside walking Monday, 1/2 hour of Zumba on Tuesday, and another 1/2 hour of Zumba today with some elliptical before class hopefully.  I'd like to take the pooches for a nice walk after work too, but I say that almost every day and it rarely happens..

QOTW: 1st and 2nd tri were fantastic, I monitored my HR and slowed down when necessary, but didn't feel too limited.  These last couple weeks, I just feel so awkward and slow.  I know its good I'm still moving, but dang girl, you're taking all my stamina away! ; )  I'm sure its normal, most people aren't even able to hang this late in pregnancy, so I'm glad I've been able to do everything I have been. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm still getting my walking in most days during the week and did some yoga 2 days, which is as much as I can manage right now. I think my stamina has picked up a bit this last trimester, just because I finally got over my morning sickness and have my back and hip pain under control. I take advantage of the energy when I have it, but definitely take frequent breaks while working out and kick up my feet (no guilt) when I need to. 

I think when it comes to the superheroes with born or acquired supernatural abilities, the fitness comes with the territory. For the guys in suits, I imagine most of them are billionaires (thinking Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark) so they must have lavish private gyms with the most advanced equipment out there. Something interesting to ponder on a Friday work day =) 

In loving memory of Baby Hufflepuff and all of D14's Angel Babies

imageimage
  • @cheekers2010 I'm sorry to hear you've had to miss your classes. That really gets you down, doesn't it? I hope you get to enjoy some next week! And if superheroes are born superfit, I'm glad I'm just carrying a normal human. I can't imagine what superbaby kicks would feel like. Ouch!

@hufflepuff42 congrats on the 2 walks! I'm also feeling so much more tired again. My legs feel like lead some days!

@sysakbaby I love that you've figured out the superhero conundrum. I'm thinking that Cat Woman definitely has to workout, and watch her calorie intake so she can slink around. But I'm hoping Wonder Woman doesn't :) And I feel similarly about walking slowly - it drives me a bit batty. 

@nbateman5 congrats on several workouts despite feeling so pregnant this week. That's awesome! 

@mcr957 woohoo - that sounds like a good week! I've really been missing yoga and I think I'll go to a class tomorrow morning. 

In loving memory of sweet baby HP, and all our angel babies. Forever in our hearts.image 

• This was a slow week for me  - just two walks. I was thinking about the QOTW because on one of those walks (with DH & the dog), I just couldn't keep up and had to ask them to wait or slow down lots of times. I know it isn't a big surprise this late in pregnancy, but it was a drag. I loooove walking with them, and we had to cut it a bit short. I actually suspect that a little more exercise would help me the most. I'm planning to go to yoga tomorrow morning and hopefully that will feel good. 

As for the superheroes, I think some of them have got to work on their fitness. I think the idea of actual superheroes who failed to keep up with their fitness regimen is really funny - so one might have laser vision, but is becoming really flabby and slow. ;) But then again, maybe the ones who have actual superpowers use a lot of calories on those superpowers, so they can still eat all they want. Deep thoughts! :) 

• This wasn't a great fitness week for me.  It was busy with a doctor's appointment, parent-teacher interviews, building fire alarm testing etc. which kept me away from the gym all week.  It also rained all week, so I got out for a couple of walks, but they were only about 30 minutes each.  Also did a 30 minute pre-natal yoga video.  Hoping next week will be better and I'll at least make it to the gym a couple of times.

I'm definitely slowing down and I get winded more easily.  Just happy that I'm still able to get to the gym at all and that I'm (usually) still able to go for decent walks.  Hope it continues for a least another month.
    BFP #1 - 03/13 Ectopic @ 5 weeks
    BFP#2 - 09/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #3 - 12/13 Natural m/c @ 6 weeks
    BFP #4 - 04/14   EDD - 9/12/14

Pregnancy Ticker
  • katninekatnine member
    edited October 2014
    Saw a nutritionist this week and following a plan. I'm the opposite of a diabetic and tend to lean normal to hypoglycemic. Blah! I haven't been working out at all other than walking my puppy and few times a day. I'm just so exhausted and of course at night I can't sleep. I want to see if this menu plan will help with that. I'm also anemic and low on protein. My energy is just shot mostly will focus on getting my iron and protein up again.

It's a mixed bag with superheroes. You have your Starks that get their strength from technology and you get Spider-Man which is a genetically modified body.
  • Anna930 said:
    @sysakbaby I was chuckling at the second picture, scrolled down and nearly did a spit-take on the third.  The outfit, the sneakers, the over room/decor/cat toy/shitty exercise equipment.  It all just hit me at once - I'm obsessed.
    The cat toy definitely makes that last picture :)

• I ended up missing two days this past week, but I think that was the first week of my pregnancy that I've missed more than a day. This coming week should be better.  I did do a little bit better eating this week though!

I am getting through my workouts just fine and still have the stamina to keep up in Zumba, do the same amount of weights and the same level on the Stepmill. Running is a bit slower of course. However I feel like I must use up all of my energy during my workouts b/c I am so tired the rest of the day!

I think fitness just comes naturally to superheros and they don't have to workout to keep up their strength or their figure. Bastards.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Well I fell off the wagon exercise wise the last month or so. I have been EXHAUSTED and I mean all caps are warranted. My hubby has been sick too so I've been a little depressed about that which has contributed to the tiredness. I am starting to come out of it now though and went on two walks this week, yes that is a lot for me these days. Hoping to resume yoga again next week and get a little healthier. 
  • I did 4 Crossfit workouts and one long walk. 

I don't know if superheroes have to workout, but it seems like if they wanted to, they could. Captain America likes to beat up on heavy bags, for example.

Stamina is just one of those things I've had to feel my way through during the pregnancy. Stairs might be the worst. Our house has 3 levels, and just going up from the living room to the bedroom can leave me winded sometimes if I do it too fast. Usually I just plod along and pull on the bannister. Baby is squeezing our lungs and adding however many pounds to normal weight, it shouldn't be surprising that it makes things harder, but I still find myself wondering "Why is this so hard" sometimes.
    DD born December 2014!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"