Babies on the Brain

Your wellness as a woman

I recently posted a question about preconception appointments and the community's opinion of them.  Thanks to all who answered!

After reading through the responses, I am left with another question.  What kind of practitioners do you all use for your wellness as a woman?  I saw a lot of the common OBGYN experiences, but noticed someone mentioned a nurse-midwife and was wondering what kind of information and experiences I may be missing out on?  Of course different kinds of practitioners won't work for everyone, but if it counts for anything:

-I have no known underlying medical issues
-am currently without a Doctor as my husband and I are in the midst of switching insurance
-I currently suffer from a bit of depression as I have had multiple losses in my family this summer
-will take prenatal vitamins, that seems to be a common factor no matter what kind of doctor I see
-I tend to prefer natural treatments and even eastern styles of medicine over western
-have rarely seen doctors, as I have not had many worthy or helpful experiences thus far in my adult life

Hopefully none of that is an over share, but it saves people from voicing some hypotheticals.

Re: Your wellness as a woman

• I don't frequently see doctors other than my annual exams with the OBGYN, because I rarely get sick.  I also limit OTC medications.  With my daughter, I was treated (and she was delivered) by the OBGYN.  I did not do much research in midwifery/doulas.  My water broke 2 weeks early, I was induced, and I had a very smooth & painfree (with epidural) labor and delivery.

Sorry I don't have advice on the alternatives. 

Married June 23, 2012

TTC #1 December 2012
    DD born December 2013 

BFP  January 2015
    Due October 2015

• I generally go to my GP. I have a current issue that I feel is out of her level of education, so I am going back to my OB for that.

The whole natural treatments thing is going to vary by doctor. My GP and OB are both quite ok with them when they are appropriate. It's more of finding a provider you are comfortable with. With a preference for less medical intervention, there is a higher likelihood that a midwife will be more in line with your preferences. I think looking for a CNM is a good way to go for you, but if you don't have luck don't rule out an OB, GP or even PA. Just because they have an MD behind their name doesn't mean they are going to constantly try to shove drugs down your throat.

• Loading the player...
  • I have seen an OB/GYN for my annual since I was 20, but am currently in search of a new one (I found out his office is full of bumbling idiots). I have a PCP that I rarely go to, the last time was when I had chronic hives 6 or so years ago. I have been known to use walk-in clinic for minor issues such as UTI. For reproductive issues, I am currently seeing a RE for infertility treatments and a RI for immune treatments. The way I look at it, I want to see a doctor that specializes in whatever issue I am having. I see a OB/GYN for general gynie issues and hopefully some day pregnancy. I see a RE for infertility issues and see a RI to treat immune issues. I don't want to see a GP for lady parts because that is not his specialty. I prefer a RE over a OB/GYN for infertility because that is their specialty.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I have been going to an OB-GYN for annuals since I was 18.  I had no health issues prior to this but have had an abnormal pap at every appt but two since then.  I have needed a biopsy and colposcopy each and have had one LEEP. 

I personally feel more comfortable going to a doctor that specializes in women's health versus a GP.  
  • @twinkie0612 one thing to think about for infertility could be acupuncture.  I am currently working in an acupuncture office and one of our practitioners has a 100% success rate in helping get his patients pregnant.  Thats not to say that they haven't had other previous treatments, and some have had miscarriages, but 100% is still outstanding!  Just thought this info could be helpful to you :)  Good luck.
  • @twinkie0612 one thing to think about for infertility could be acupuncture.  I am currently working in an acupuncture office and one of our practitioners has a 100% success rate in helping get his patients pregnant.  Thats not to say that they haven't had other previous treatments, and some have had miscarriages, but 100% is still outstanding!  Just thought this info could be helpful to you :)  Good luck.

Acupuncture is not an infertility treatment.  I think it has a place in the infertility world and can be useful for some women when done in conjunction with infertility treatments (particularly in promoting relaxation and relieving stress), but itself is not a treatment for infertility.  I have looked into adding acupuncture in addition to my IVF treatments, but have decided it is not for me.  I currently use guided meditation to promote relaxation and relieve stress.

Any medical professional that claims to have a 100% success rate is either a) lying, b) not been in practice very long, or c) not actually treating people with "infertility." It is claims like this that turn me off to holistic type medicine.  No treatment is 100% successful and to make these claims is severely misleading to patients.

Like I said before, I want an expert in the field to be handling my care for that issue.  REs are the experts when it comes to infertility.  When my RE uncovered some immune issues linked to my infertility, I decided to see a RI to handle the immune side of my infertility.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• I'm in Canada, so I know it works a bit different from the US, but I have a family doctor I see once a year for my annual pap test and to geta prescription for my migraine medicines.

I had a pre-pregnancy visit with my doctor, but I switched to a midwife when I became pregnant. I had all my prenatal appointments with her and she delivered my baby. I will definitively do the same for my next pregnancy.

I don't get sick a lot, beside having chronic migraines, so I don't go to the doctor's office a lot. It's great though to have a family doctor I know I can rely to if something happens to my health.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"