Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

potty training

So who has actually started?!?! I'm dreading it but my LO seems so eager.  I feel like it's still so early though.  She's 21 months and since she was probably a year and a half she began following my husband and myself into the bathroom EVERY time we go, so I got her a little potty.  Now she sits on it, says pee pee, poo poo, grabs toilet paper and pretends to wipe over her pants (copies us).  Everyone I work with says to jump on that but I read about readiness and she can't pull her pants up or down, she doesn't stay dry over night, so I just feel like it's too early.  Any advice would be nice
BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: potty training

• I bought DS a potty after he was showing interest in his sister using the potty. I let him sit on it before he gets in the tub and pretty frequently he goes. He has gotten to the point where he knows what the sensation of going feels like and he looks down to watch himself go. We cheer like crazy but I'm in no rush. I tried starting too young with my DD and it back fired, so this time around I"m taking the laid back approach.
    imageimage
  • Staying dry overnight isn't necessary because being night and day trained are completely different.  Most LOs day train well before they night train.  That would not concern me.  When we started training with DD (at 26 mos) she wasn't able to get her pants up and down completely by herself but we just helped her.  We worked on pulling her pants up and down but still trained.  We just made sure she wore elastic waist pants with no buttons or zips (she's 3.5 and we still only do elastic waist).  

I would buy her some underwear and let her wear them around the house for a few minutes at a time.  I would also put her on her little potty completely naked maybe once or twice a day to gauge her real interest.  If she's not interested just back off a bit.  If she's more interested then go with it.  Just follow her lead.  It doesn't have to be stressful for the LO if you don't force it.  
  • Loading the player...
  • And PP is right. DD was day trained probably a good 6 mo or so before she was night trained. One night she decided she didn't want to wear a pullup to bed. I was terrified, but let her go. She only had maybe 3 accidents over the next month? We just make sure that she goes potty before she goes to bed (it's part of the teeth brushing, PJs routine) and she's good.
    imageimage
  • I'd go with it, but not push it. I'm currently training my almost 3 yo, but the 18 month old constantly tugs at his diaper and pants to go potty, so I've been letting him go on the little potty seat while my older guy goes on the big one. Sometimes he pees and sometimes he doesn't. No poop yet.  I'm in no rush to train him, but happy that he gets it and is showing an interest.

Don't think there's any downside to letting her try it out, except that you may have to clean up. If you can get her trained young, why not?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • We've started more of a "potty exploration" than potty training.  LO has a little potty chair and a toilet seat insert.  We consistently put her on naked every night before her shower and she goes 99% of the time.  We only periodically do it at other times, but will take her if she asks to go (rare).  She still wears diapers all the time.  But she knows what going potty is, and can do it when given the opportunity.  Sounds like your LO is probably in about the same place-- I'd take off her pants/diaper one of the times she follows you in and see what she thinks of going herself.

My plan is to try something more proactive over a long weekend or Xmas holiday and see if she is interested in trying to go on the potty during the day (and hold it in between). If she takes do it, we'll get underwear and transition away from diapers (daytime only).  If she isn't interested, we'll just keep doing what we're doing and wait.

I agree with PP that being able to take pants off/on and being night trained are not required signs of readiness.  My LO just says "off pants" and gets one of us to do it-- I can hardly handle some of those buttons and snaps on onesies and kid clothes-- wouldn't expect a little kid to be able to do it for a long time still.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"