Breastfeeding

tips on weaning a stubborn toddler?

Any tips on weaning a stubborn toddler? I've been working on slowly weaning my 17 month old son but it's rough!  I stopped offering months ago and only nurse when he asks. My next step was to cut out feedings but it hasn't been easy. He nurse a few times during the day and a few at night. When I refuse to nurse, he has a complete meltdown. He will cry, scream and even throw himself on the ground. I've tried to ignore it but it continues for quite some time. He also has tantrums at night when I try to tell him no. I've tried the Jay Gordon method but it hasn't been working. 

On a side note, he has some medical issues with sleep that we are in the process of resolving. He's cranky and irritable a lot because he doesn't sleep much so that is probably contributing to the tantrums. 

Re: tips on weaning a stubborn toddler?

• Thanks @theresat858. During the day I always offer him a sippy cup and sometimes that helps. I will try cuddling him while he drinks. I guess this is one of those things that will take longer than I expected and I just need to be consistent. Did you say anything for the MOTN nursing? I've been telling him they are sleeping or they went night night. He still gets upset but not as much as when I just say no. 

I think I will focus on the night feedings then move onto the day. 
  • To get rid of MOTN feedings I had to NOT get up and let DH handle it. He was pissed about it for a while but it eventually worked.  

Then in order to fully wean her for the one bedtime nursing session, I had to physically leave my house at night for bedtime.  

I just started going to the gym during bedtime which worked out great for everyone (ha except DH who had to deal with a pissed off toddler). 

Anyway took about 2 weeks but she was finally weaned in about March 2014 so she was like 26 months old.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"