January 2014 Moms

Daycare: Scheduled naps?

My 9 month old goes to a daycare that I've been super happy with...until a few days ago. They moved her into the 1 year old room early (because the baby room became full and she was a little more advanced than a few of the older kids) and I found out some info about her naps. They have a scheduled 1:00 nap, pretty much they put you down no matter what. She takes a morning nap and so that she'll take their 1:00 nap, they've been waking her up after 30 minutes. What the heck...should 9 months old really be having such rigid naps? I don't like that they feel they have to wake her up so that she'll take their scheduled nap. And ofcourse she's fussy by the time I pick her up at 5:30.  At home she takes a nap from around 9:30-11 and then again from around 2-3:30. Just wanted to get some other input before I started a discussion with them about this.

TTC since 01/13-Uterine Septum Surgery 12/12- During Surgery found Mod-Severe Endo which had left adhesions and attacked a tube. Very blessed to have found all this before TTC!

Re: Daycare: Scheduled naps?

• I would not be okay with this. A nine month old is not going to be ready to be in the toddler room, especially if they are not letting her nap for more than 30 minutes. At 9 months they should still be taking two hour+ long naps. They are doing more growing than the one year olds. I would complain loudly. It is their fault they overbooked the infant room. They should make some accommodations if they insist your daughter be in the one year old room.
  • Thanks everyone! I appreciate it. I will definitely be talking to them. I think the shadiest part is that they have been waking her up for six weeks now in the morning. Who wakes up a sleeping baby!

TTC since 01/13-Uterine Septum Surgery 12/12- During Surgery found Mod-Severe Endo which had left adhesions and attacked a tube. Very blessed to have found all this before TTC!

• Loading the player...
  • #1, I hope you are getting a discounted price for her being moved up into the toddler classroom.
    #2, fuck that shit, 9 months is too young to be moved up and I'd be furious. Babies need naps more than once a day so demand your LO gets placed back in the infant room. 
  • umma4babesumma4babes member
    edited October 2014
    First off, I would have never been ok with moving her up. It's not safe no matter how advanced your DD is or how well the kids are watched. With kids that can walk, things can happen really fast and your DD won't be able to defend herself.
    Second, no - feeding/naps should still be on demand at this point. I would have no problem with a scheduled nap start time, but DD should sleep as long as she wants.
    I guess my question at this point is how receptive do you think they would be to your concerns? Just based on what you've posted, I have a serious problem with their judgment call. I would not be ok with the placement to begin with, and would start looking at a new childcare arrangement.
  • chicki1012chicki1012 member
    edited October 2014
    Wow wow wow, Im so sorry your dealing with this, honestly I would be furious. Can they even do that?!?! I would talk to the director about it. Hope things get figured out.
    ETA: I'm not saying all babies but most babies at this age take those longer naps at this age, I can't believe they would wake an infant after 30 min. How could they, babies need their rest. I can't get over this, I'm sorry your dealing with this.
  • Um yeah, complain and complain loudly.  People I know who work in childcare are not ALLOWED to wake a child from a nap.  The state (at least this one) considers that child abuse in a daycare facility. 

• This sounds fishy to me. I'm in Canada so maybe different laws, but here they can only have a certain amount of kids in each age group. They're especially strict in the baby section, and if they have less babies they can have more older kids in a lot of cases. I'd wonder if they are fudging the books by moving your LO up to the toddler room so they could take on more kids total.

Most daycares also charge $40-$45 per day for babies under 2, and down to $35-$40 per day once they pass 2 years (ranges depending on the facility). Are they still charging you the higher price? If so I'd be questioning that too if they say she is developmentally ready to be with the toddlers (which I would also question)

Sorry you're going through this. And yes I'd be mad about the naps! 
  • Another who says hell no! They should not be enrolling children they don't have room for, no way should a 9 month old be in a toddler room, and if you wake my baby we have problems.

My DCP has texted me on a number of days to day "M has been asleep for x amount of time, do you want me to wake him?" The answer is always no! If he's that tired he needs the sleep!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• I have worked many years in early learning environments.  A 9 month old should not be with waddlers.  Also, the ratio of teachers to children changes at 12 months.  They have to be honoring the 1-4 ratio that your child puts them at (in my state at least).  How many children and teachers are in your child's new class?  Also, a baby grows during sleep.  Forcing her too early into a 1 nap per day schedule is harmful.  I agree with others that they need to move your LO back to the infant class or make other accommodations for her nap.  They can move her back to the infant room during nap time and put 1 extra staff in there. 
  • They separate children by age for a reason. She should not be in that room. Demand for her to be placed back into the infant room. If they give you flack about it research your states laws in child care facilities and print out what applies to your situation and hand it to them. If they still refuse get it in writing, pull your child and report them.
  • @steph782 any update?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"