Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Just curious...

this is not to start a debate or anything like that but just curious- how many let their little ones sleep on their belly? We just had our second child a month ago and I never put my daughter to sleep on her belly and was very uncomfortable when she started rolling to her belly at night. My almost 5 week old son seems to have a witching "hour" that starts around 8-9 and goes until around midnight and we try different things every night to try and help and not much helps but I just put him down on his belly (while I'm awake and sitting next to him) because he sleeps so well on his belly on my husband and I and I've let him take naps next to me on his belly during the day- I thought it was worth a shot. My sister in law told me recently she put both her babies on their bellies to sleep at night because they slept better so I was just curious how many others did this. I am fully aware of the risks and don't intend to do this, but I just wanted to see how many others did what she does because I couldn't believe how quickly he got comfortable and made me think my sister in law can't be the only one to do this.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Just curious...

• These are lo's witching hours too. I haven't tried letting her sleep on her belly, but often she sleeps in her bouncer to give her back a break.
  • Huh that's the same time my LO seems to have his witching hour. Lol I haven't tried the belly though, just makes me too nervous. But I've seen other posts where it seems quite a few other moms do the same thing to help LO sleep better.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited October 2014
    DD sleeps on her belly but only when someones is there to supervise her, she can't roll over yet. I'm sure you know it's a SIDS risk for them to sleep on their belly through the night, but as along as someone is there watching - I don't see the harm. 

ETA: She will usually only sleep on her belly for a nap during the day, nighttime she goes in the RNP swaddled in a Nuroo
    [ Zoey <3 7.28.14 ]
  • edited October 2014
    He naps on his belly since week 8 or 9. He sleeps overnight on his side in the RnP.If I put him on his back, he'll turn to his side.
  • Our LO back slept until she could roll over. She was swaddled until then also. Once she rolled we dies arms out swaddled then a zippy sleep sack so that she could move around.
  • DD sleeps on her belly but only when someones is there to supervise her, she can't roll over yet. I'm sure you know it's a SIDS risk for them to sleep on their belly through the night, but as along as someone is there watching - I don't see the harm. 

ETA: She will usually only sleep on her belly for a nap during the day, nighttime she goes in the RNP swaddled in a Nuroo
    Sleeping in a RNP is also a SIDS risk.
  • uksteph11 said:
    DD sleeps on her belly but only when someones is there to supervise her, she can't roll over yet. I'm sure you know it's a SIDS risk for them to sleep on their belly through the night, but as along as someone is there watching - I don't see the harm. 

Sleeping in a RNP is also a SIDS risk.
    I have not heard that sleeping in a RNP is a SIDS risk. Where did you hear that. It seems to be a pretty safe place but if you have different information I am interested in knowing about it.
  • @uksteph11‌ I would also like to know why sleeping in a RNP is a SIDS risk??

• Linzr0723Linzr0723 member
    edited October 2014
    Yes, I am aware of the SIDS risk with baby sleeping on belly but have never heard anything about the RNP...
  • @DaisyBlinks I'm lurking and I had to google RNP dangers lol. That's what it said. It is not firm or a flat surface so it's not safe.

Obviously I have not had my baby yet so who knows what I will do when the time comes. I guess some say that their babies need to be upright for reflux? I will be clueless I'm sure :)

ME:46 MH:44 DE IVF 2014
    Met with RE 4/11. 2 IUI's BFN. DE best option. Switched clinics to do "shared" program. Had to retake all tests and a mamm that put me behind and then on a DE waiting list for 12 months. Picked a donor!! (10/13/13) Got matched. Estimated transfer in December. After 2.5 years of patiently waiting I will finally cycle....can hardly believe it. DE cycle got cancelled. One of her tests came back positive.  Waiting for another donor. Donor picked!! (1/18/14)

DE IVF #1 (4/26) BFN  DE FET #1 (6/4) BFP! Beta 1=339 Beta 2=852 Beta 3=9957 EDD 2/22/15!!

imageimage 
         image   imageimage

• I think anything can be a SIDS risk, you just have to decide what you're comfortable with. My dd has slept in a RnP every night since she was born, because she will not sleep flat on her back. She will nap some on her belly in the day. I'm fine with both, I just keep a close eye on her and she is in our room at night.

Pregnancy Ticker

Zoe Nicole: 8/21/14

Due again: 1/17/18

• DS#1 slept on his belly from 4 weeks and I'm open to it for DS#2 if he's also a poor sleeper.
    DH and I are Americans living an adventure in Kenya since 2011
    DX: PCOS (annovulatory)
    Feb 2012: IUI #1 w/ only 1M sperm and a single follie = BFP! 
    Nov 2012: Little buddy born in Kenya
    Nov 2013: Trying for a second, still w PCOS
    Dec 2013: IUI cycle canceled for non-response
    Jan 2014: Break cycle BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Ahlome08Ahlome08 member
    edited October 2014
    My MIL said she put both her boys on their stomach, but I am just too uncomfortable/paranoid to even take that risk. Sure LO falls asleep on me easily while he's on his stomach, but, as soon as he's completely conked out, I am able to put him in a Velcro swaddler and he stays asleep. Once babies can roll over by themselves, it's ok if they roll over on their tummies, because they can push themselves back. Also, swaddlers should only be used until they can roll over.

Eta: words are hard for me ATM
  • Our LO slept in the RNP and ours actually adjusted to lay flat. It was great bc if she had any reflux issues we could slightly elevate it. They are very safe.
  • @uksteph11‌ I would also like to know why sleeping in a RNP is a SIDS risk??

Infants do not have the muscular strength in their necks to ensure that an adequate airway is maintained when then are in a slumped posture due to an incline.  Even a small incline can increase the risk.  I know that there are countless moms who will say, "I did it with my kid, and they are fine,"  but it really isn't worth the risk.  An infant should always sleep on a firm mattress in a crib. 

• Have you looked into getting a breathable crib matress? My LO is not in her crib yet, but I purchased the Nook pebble matress just because I'm a FTM and it made me feel safer in the event my LO may turn onto her tummy at night. The matress is amazingly soft so your LO can sleep directly on it with no sheet to interfere with the breathable matress material.
  • & I agree with @Cat&amp;S . Every baby is so different!
  • LO sleeps on me on her belly but I don't put her down on her own that way. She does prefer sleeping on her side though, so if she rolls that way, I'm not waking her up to move her.

BFP: 09/13/13  ---  MMC: 10/25/13
    BFP: 12/25/13  ---  DD: 09/10/14
    BFP: 03/16/15  ---  EDD: 11/30/15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"