Infertility

HSG vs. SHG experiences?

I've have an HSG before and it really was rough. My new RE ordered a SHG. They tell me it's much easier. Does anyone have any experiences?

Re: HSG vs. SHG experiences?

• I have had both. I was terrified to do the SHG, since HSG was so unbearably awful. They kept telling me it would be better this time with saline (the first was iodine), but I didn't believe them. It was so much better! A little pinchy from the speculum & catheter  - which seems to be more uncomfortable for me than most - and then barely any sensation. It was done before I knew it (much faster than the last time). The 'worst part' is the saline draining out of you all day. Seriously easier than a pap. Hope your experience is just as positive!
    30 yrs, healthy & TTC since April 2010 
    DH 32yrs & healthy
    *unexplained infertility* 

Regularly access alternative medicine to supplement a lack of resources in our geographical area.
    • Three rounds of clomid (50mg days 3-7) were useless.
    • IUI#1 w/clomid & HCG in May 2013, BFN.
    • IUI#2 w/clomid & HCG on July 23rd. BFN.
    • IUI #3 in August cancelled last minute, due to lab error.
    • IVF#1 - Started Gonal F stims October 13 2013 for IUI. Over-responded with too many follicles, so converted to IVF. Retrieval October 29th - got 5 eggs, 4 fertilized. Had 2 perfect little embryos transferred on day 3 (Nov. 1). The remaining 2 didn't survive to freeze. Got our BFN on November 13th 2013.
    • IVF#2 - Started stims August 21st. Triggered with Suprefact, started on dostinex due to risk of OHSS. Retrieval September 5th - got 27 eggs! 21 embryos on day 3. Embryos deteriorated quickly. ESet 5day blast on Sept 10. No embryos high enough quality to freeze. BFN came Sept. 22.

Reserved a semi-known proven donor in August .

Waiting for consult/screening and protocols with estimated fresh cycle timing in October

• HSG a was not bad for me but SHG was easier. GL!
    TTC #2 since 2011 (took 1.5 years to conceive spontaneously after multiple failed clomid cycles and 1 failed clomid +IUI)
    Me- PCOS, borderline hypothyroid
    Him- low concentration/count

Feb 2014- started acupuncture
    Feb 2014- BFP
    March 2014- m/c @ 5 weeks
    May 2014- HSG, all clear, started Synthroid, Femara 5mg CD 3-7 + trigger + TI= BFN
    Waiting for new RE appointment end of July 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I guess I'm in the minority, but I found the SHG procedure to be worse for myself. I think that was because I had it first and it might have cleared out some of the junk in my tubes? (It does push the saline through your tubes as well, though it doesn't show a clear picture like the HSG.) It was over quickly though, so at least there's that? The only thing that hurt me during the HSG was the first speculum that she used (didn't fit). I did cramp pretty heavily for about a week afterwards though.
    image imageimage

***EVERYONE WELCOME***
    TTC #2 with assistance since 03/11
    Me: 33, Autoimmune (Hashimotos and FMS/CFS)
    Treated with Synthroid, acupuncture, TCM and supplements
    DH: 33, MFI (very low on all counts, high antibodies, hemochromatosis)
    Many treatments tried, none successful

IVF/ICSI #1 05/14 - EPP/Antagonist, Gonal-F and Luveris, 18R, 14M, 13F - SET of 1BC, all arrested on day 5 - C/P
    Genetic testing = normal, DNA Frag = excellent
    IVF #2 03/15 - Long protocol with Suprefact, Gonal-F, and possibly Luveris, adding in PICSI

• My HSG was terrible, my SHG not too bad. It was a little crampy, but nothing like the HSG.

imageimageimageimageimage

TTC #1 since August 2011

My Blog

September 2012: Start IF testing

DH (32): SA is ok, slightly low morph, normal SCSA  Me (32): Slightly low progesterone, hostile CM, carrier for CF, Moderately high NKC, High TNFa, heterozyogous mutated Factor XIII, and +APA

October 2012-May 2014: 4 failed IUIs, 3 failed IVFs, and 1 failed FETw/donor embryos

November 2014: IVF w/ICSI #4 Agonist/Antagonist with EPP and Prednisone, Baby Aspirin, Lovenox, and IVIG for immune issues.  Converted to freeze all due to lining issues.  2 blasts frozen on day 6!

January 2015: FET #2 Cancelled due to lining issues

April 2015: FET #2.1

PAIF/SAIF Welcome!

• Thank you all for your feedback. They said they'll do it in-office, not in the hospital like my OB did. Did you all take ibuprofen prior? (Hopefully it will help because I'm not the greatest with pain).
  • I just had my second HSG and they were both brutal! The is the first time I have heard of SHG and will have to mention if they want to do another HSG again b/c  I am not sure I could handle it one more time.

Sincerely, L

• I'm anxious about it, but it seems the consensus is the SHG is easier. Let's hope so!
  • Just had my SHG today. If was no worse than a pap!
  • I've had both.  HSG was to date the worst pain I've ever encountered.  SHG was like a pap.  I had my HSG 5 years ago and my IF OB wanted to do another one earlier this year- I told her she was out of her mind.  Flat out refused.
  • If you survived the HSG (which you did) the SHG will seem like a cakewalk. More like a pap. If you've done IUI, it almost feels similar. Good luck!

TTC since 11/09
    me: 39 DH: 36  
    dx: unexplained (ugh) 

January 2011 - December 2012: 4 cycles w/Clomid; 9 IUIs w/Follistim & Menopur;  two IVF cycles converted to IUI (poor response/dominant follicle) 

August 2014 IVF (antagonist protocol: Menopur, Follistim, Ganirelix, dexamethasone): 13 eggs, 9 mature, 8 fertilized w/ICSI; 0 frozen, 3 transferred day 5 = BFN

October 2014 IVF (micro-lupron protocol: mircrolupron, Menopur, Follistim, dexamethasone): 8 eggs, 4 mature, 3 fertilized w/ICSI; 3 transferred day 3 = BFP! Beta 1=121; Beta 2=287; Beta 3 =678. Miscarriage @ 8w2d. :(
  • The appointment is scheduled for Friday....I'll report back how it goes! 
  • Ditto the girls...SHG was easy... Was advised by RE to take 800mg of advil and the worst part was the leaky feeling all day... Bring your favorite pads as I used the RE's and I hated them
    Ashley & Jeremy 10/10/10

MFI, 50k sperm frozen, RE requires weight loss before our first cycle of IVF so now we wait.

(+20 = total loss)

• Good luck on your test tomorrow! And like most of the other girls said, I found the SHG way better than the HSG. It's pretty comparable to an IUI. But really, not bad at all.
  • Dannie138Dannie138 member
    edited October 2014
    SHG was nothing like the HSG. It was WAY easier. They had told me to take 800 mg of ibuprofen, but I took a Tylenol with Codeine. I tried to distract myself by talking to the nurse assisting and a few times I had to stop mid-sentence, but it was over and much quicker than the HSG. The worst part was the catheter and it was definitely not the big type I had at my surgeries.

Happy to say that she called her findings, "picture perfect". lol...Nothing concerning internally at all!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"