Special Needs

"Taboo" topic: Depression diagnosis

From what I researched approximately 50% of those with depression have it due to genetics.  DS's doctor said some individuals have a deficit of a certain hormone and medicine (Zoloft) helps to add those hormones back in to make a functional emotional balance.  This was DS's third diagnosis.  Yes, all of these diagnoses are a lot for me to wrap my head around.

I guess I just wanted to know if I was in this boat alone.  Anyone else working with their child regarding this?  DS has been taking 25 mg of the generic version of Zoloft for over a week and I have seen improvement in him.  He's not doing Intuniv anymore for ADHD---that did absolutely nothing for him except make him sleepy and give him stomach pain.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

Re: "Taboo" topic: Depression diagnosis

• edited October 2014
    My older son will most likely be diagnosed with depression when he's older, as it's a comorbid condition to his FASD, and he already shows signs of survivor's guilt. However, since he's not been diagnosed yet, we have only been addressing his needs through therapy and not medication. I also can't speak to a genetic link, as he was adopted.

I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. Do you have a way to get you feelings out/unwind?
  • ((hugs)) Sounds like a lot to deal with right now.  It's wonderful that DS is improving with the medication.  I don't personally have depression.  Both my mom and brother do so I do believe there is a genetic component. 

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Loading the player...
  • Princess_LilyPrincess_Lily member
    edited October 2014
    I had a form of depression along with severe panic attacks, 10+ yrs ago after a broken engagement.

The Zoloft stopped the attacks for a while, but then it actually started to increase - with much worse frequency. I think it was 10mg. The doc wanted to increase it, but I decided I needed to quit the meds and rewire my brain...

...so I picked up smoking then. LOL. I quit in '06. Now rarely will I get an attack, but its usually due to intense emotional stress combined with too much caffeine
    photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • KL777KL777 member
    edited October 2014
    My older son will most likely be diagnosed with depression when he's older, as it's a comorbid condition to his FASD, and he already shows signs of survivor's guilt. However, since he's not been diagnosed yet, we have only been addressing his needs through therapy and not medication. I also can't speak to a genetic link, as he was adopted. I'm sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. Do you have a way to get you feelings out/unwind?
    Captain, thanks for asking.  Administrators at DS's school said I need to participate in counseling too with everything that's going on.  I do have some friends that I can get my feelings out/unwind (DH too, sometimes). 

• I think it's so important to remember to take care of yourself, especially in the beginning, when adjusting to your new reality.  That's when things often seem the hardest, and all too often moms forget that their own health and sanity is of vital importance.  If you aren't taking care of yourself, you won't be in good condition to take care of your son.

So please, be kind to yourself.  It doesn't have to be counseling, although that definately helped us (we were already involved in family counseling to help us address all the issues surrounding my children's adoptions), but any restorative things that you can indulge in will be more helpful than you can imagine.  Don't always put yourself last.  You'll be surprised how much better things look when you are in the best state of mind possible.
  • I think it's so important to remember to take care of yourself, especially in the beginning, when adjusting to your new reality.  That's when things often seem the hardest, and all too often moms forget that their own health and sanity is of vital importance.  If you aren't taking care of yourself, you won't be in good condition to take care of your son.

So please, be kind to yourself.  It doesn't have to be counseling, although that definately helped us (we were already involved in family counseling to help us address all the issues surrounding my children's adoptions), but any restorative things that you can indulge in will be more helpful than you can imagine.  Don't always put yourself last.  You'll be surprised how much better things look when you are in the best state of mind possible.
    You are so right!  Thanks!!  For my birthday, my co-workers gave me a one hour massage gift certificate because they said I needed to relax.  They know some of the stuff that's been going on lately.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"