November 2014 Moms
Options

Newbie Playdate...Post Your Silly Questions Here!!

Re: Newbie Playdate...Post Your Silly Questions Here!!

• Options
    How many bottles will we need since LO is going to day care at the end of my maternity leave? Trying to figure out if we have enough or if we need to get some more.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    OK 1) how do u reply on here like when someone replies to u and u want to reply back I can't figure it out....

And 2) this is my first pregnancy and I'm 36 weeks tomorrow and I'm so terrified something is going to go wrong... And I have seizures and my doctor doesn't seemed too worried about it and I'm kinda scared of the whole "labor" part
  • Options
    abbyfulabbyful member
    edited October 2014
    MissN06 said:

How many bottles will we need since LO is going to day care at the end of my maternity leave? Trying to figure out if we have enough or if we need to get some more.

We only used 5 bottles for daycare. Most of the time only 3 were drank, but during growth spurts once in a while he went through them all of them. (I breastfed, so no bottles at home.)
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ok this is probably a stupid question.

What size bottles should we get to start with? I got a kit that has one 4 oz and two 8 oz. Will those sizes be alright for a while? Economically I'm thinking that those sizes should work but don't the nipples get bigger as the bottles go up in size? We are trying Dr. Browns.
  • Options
    On the subject of bottles...we've been given three different kinds. I have the Playtex natural with drop ins, Tommee Tippee Natural and Jovvy Boob. After my research, I really just wanted to use the Boob bottle as it's supposed to be great for breast fed babies.

Should I return the others or keep them in case she doesn't like one brand?

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Options
    @mommymeg143‌ The lactation consultant that did our BFing class highly recommended the playtex drop ins for those that BF. The reasoning was that none of the other nipples on the market had as slow of a flow and the faster the flow the more likely baby could develop a bottle preference or not digest as well.
  • Options
    Carebella said:

@mommymeg143‌ The lactation consultant that did our BFing class highly recommended the playtex drop ins for those that BF. The reasoning was that none of the other nipples on the market had as slow of a flow and the faster the flow the more likely baby could develop a bottle preference or not digest as well.

We used Playtex Drop-Ins with slow-flow nipples for DS (who was EBF; pumped milk in bottles at daycare, boob at home), worked great.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Options
    Thank you, ladies!! I think I will keep them all then.  :)

Married:  08.17.2013
    Sweet Angel Baby: 02.01.2014
    Emerson Shay:  10:28:2014
    Two Fur Babies:  Talli Mae and Lexi

• Options
    I have another question... Along the lines of breastfeeding. I plan on breastfeeding and was debating on pumping later on just so DH could give a bottle or we can go out and nana and papa could give a bottle. I am not opposed to EBF and may end up doing so.

My question is really about breasts pumps. I don't have one! I don't plan on pumping for awhile if at all. However, I am wondering if I will need one regardless? Is this something I should have prior to the baby being born or can pick up after if need be?
  • Options
    I had the same question! I found out my insurance covered it so I just preemptively ordered before DD is due. I will be BFing mostly from home but still will have a top of the line pump for random days that I need to go into work or need sporadic babysitting by the in laws.
  • Options

When packing my hospital bag,  do I pack underwear ?

Or will I have those mesh panties everyone talks about ?  What if I end up needing a c section ?   Should I pack underwear just in case ?

Nov. '14 January Siggy : Work Sucks!

Me 32-DH 38

Married July 14, 2007  ----- TTC # 1 October 1, 2013
    BFP   March 7, 2014  -----  EDD November 17, 2014 ---- Baby boy born November 16, 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Yesterday DH and I went shopping with our registry completion coupons.  We spent close about $1000! $350 of it was from gift cards and the return of a couple duplicate items.

I think we are pretty much set on what we need.  Except I worry about if we have enough clothes and blankets. All I ever hear is people saying how "you need a lot", "you can never have too many".  Then with clothes there is sizing - some babies skip past the newborn sizing while others will wear them for several weeks.

I guess this is more of a vent than a question, but if anyone can calm my worries that we are ok on clothes....

We got a lot of hand-me-downs from my BIL.  They had a baby in May, so the collection of clothes they gave us includes a lot of short-sleeved onesies.  How much use will I get out of these for a November baby?  We don't have a lot of long sleeved sleepers - maybe 2-3 in newborn and 5-6 in the 0-3 month size...

• Options
    abbyful said:
    We used Playtex Drop-Ins with slow-flow nipples for DS (who was EBF; pumped milk in bottles at daycare, boob at home), worked great.
    Can you store breastmilk in the drop-in bags? Or will it just be poured into the drop-in at each feeding? Can you use the drop-in bags in any kind of bottle, or will they only work with playtex bottles/nipples?

• Options

Anyone comfortable giving a ballpark of what they pay for infant childcare? I know it varies by location but so far we are on a  wait list for on post daycare but they don't tell you how much it will cost until you bring in yours and your partners pay stubs the day you enroll (after they are born).

I got a quote of $170 a week from another place but that seems crazy cheap. Although maybe I'm just used to hearing DC area horror stories?
    In Kansas City, we pay $245 per week for a national chain daycare center.
    kfo22 said:

*snip*

Can you store breastmilk in the drop-in bags? Or will it just be poured into the drop-in at each feeding? Can you use the drop-in bags in any kind of bottle, or will they only work with playtex bottles/nipples?

The drop-in bags only work with the Playtex bottles. There's a way to store milk in drop-in bags, but you need a special lid thing I believe.

I stored milk in Lansinoh bags for freezing, then poured into the drop-ins for daycare (our daycare requires bottles be fully prepped so all they have to do is warm them).
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Options
    We registered LO at a chain daycare outisde the Philadelphia area. Its $310 or so a week.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

Anyone comfortable giving a ballpark of what they pay for infant childcare? I know it varies by location but so far we are on a  wait list for on post daycare but they don't tell you how much it will cost until you bring in yours and your partners pay stubs the day you enroll (after they are born).

I got a quote of $170 a week from another place but that seems crazy cheap. Although maybe I'm just used to hearing DC area horror stories?
    We're on a wait list for three daycares in the city if Chicago. They all run about $475/wk. In home I was quoted $400. My sister is in DC and was quoted very similar pricing.

It's significantly cheaper in the burbs for both a facility or in home.
  • Options
    Had a follow up appointment today with my OB regarding my contractions and progression. Doc said I haven't dilated or effaced anymore so she feels confident that the baby won't make an appearance super early. Plus, I hit 34 weeks tomorrow and they won't stop labor if it does.

She also said the contractions are most likely my new norm. I'm happy baby seems to be staying put to bake some more, but I can't fathom the idea of six more weeks of this.

Besides water, Tylenol, and rest do any of you ladies have suggestions on how to deal with this. I really wanted a med free delivery, and am now concerned that six weeks of painful contractions may take it's toll on me and prevent a med free birth:(
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone has thoughts on perrineal massage? Worth it? Or not?
  • Options
    Have we talked about bathing? I don't remember. Sorry if we are repeating questions, but do you give LO a bath every night?? What about the umbilical cord? Is it ok to get it wet?
  • Options
    jlove253 said:

@sylarpaige‌- good job with the quote box :)

What exactly are you terrified about going wrong? That will really help direct how to address your fears. Have you talked to your ob about what makes you fearful? Talk to your ob about your concerns. Ask him/her to tell you why he/she isn't as concerned, or what you can expect from labor, with regard to your seizures. If you can't talk to your doctor about it then who can you talk to, right? The more open you are with your doctor the better prepared he/she will be to help you during labor.

Also, my sister has a seizure disorder and is about to have her second baby. Everything has gone fine so far with this pregnancy and the last. Obviously each person is different, and I'm not a doctor, but I hope that can be encouraging.

Thank you for helping with that... I guess I'm just scared as a first timer I had a miscarriage with my 1 st at 12 weeks and basicly had to push everything out myself the hospital didn't do much but give me pain meds and my back killed me I'm assuming from all the pressure inside or back labor idk but I guess I'm just wondering if labor with this one with me being full term is gonna feel like that... Or worse... Ive just heard some horror stories
  • Options

jlove253 said:

What exactly are you terrified about going wrong? That will really help direct how to address your fears. Have you talked to your ob about what makes you fearful? Talk to your ob about your concerns. Ask him/her to tell you why he/she isn't as concerned, or what you can expect from labor, with regard to your seizures. If you can't talk to your doctor about it then who can you talk to, right? The more open you are with your doctor the better prepared he/she will be to help you during labor.

Also, my sister has a seizure disorder and is about to have her second baby. Everything has gone fine so far with this pregnancy and the last. Obviously each person is different, and I'm not a doctor, but I hope that can be encouraging.

Thank you for helping with that... I guess I'm just scared as a first timer I had a miscarriage with my 1 st at 12 weeks and basicly had to push everything out myself the hospital didn't do much but give me pain meds and my back killed me I'm assuming from all the pressure inside or back labor idk but I guess I'm just wondering if labor with this one with me being full term is gonna feel like that... Or worse... Ive just heard some horror stories
    I miscarried last year. Baby was behind with low heartrate at 7.5 weeks, and no heartbeat at 9.5 weeks. I opted to miscarry naturally at home, which happened when I would have been about 11.5 weeks.
    For me, natural miscarriage contractions were about 60% the intensity of full-term labor contractions. I didn't have pain meds for either.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker

• Options
    mander82 said:

When packing my hospital bag,  do I pack underwear ?

Or will I have those mesh panties everyone talks about ?  What if I end up needing a c section ?   Should I pack underwear just in case ?

I used the mesh underwear after all of my births (even the c-section), and I was perfectly happy with them. I think I even wore them home and then switched to regular underwear after that. If you think you'd be more comfortable in your own underwear, though, you can certainly bring some (although you may want to go all black so you don't ruin them).

I'm in Northern Virginia, and we used to pay approximately $300/week for each of the kids when they were in the infant room (and then somewhat less as they moved up to the older classrooms). We were at a national chain, and even at different locations within that chain, I found a lot of variation depending on location.
  • Options
    lissydee said:

we send the boys 2 days a week to an in home sitter and pay $160/week.  The baby will be taking our DS1's place there.  Then DS1 will be going to a center/preschool 3 days a week once I go back to work after maternity leave and that will add another $140/week.  So $300/week total to send the 3 to their respective day cares/preschool part time.

When DS went full time (M-F, 8 hrs a day, food included, although I BF'd for his 1st year) it was $250 a week.

Now he goes 2 days a week, food still included, and it's $60 a day ($120 a week). The cost goes down when he turns 2 ($200 a week or $50 a day).
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy

• Options
    Ok, one more- did your DH do skin to skin with the baby?
  • Options
    OK so I've read about skin on skin between father and baby and I was wondering what's that about iv never heard of it till today and my mom never heard of it either is this good for the baby? Or just a bonding thing... I'm just a Lil confused is all
  • Options

jlove253 said:

I'm sorry you miscarried. I've never lost a baby, so I can only imagine how awful that was. I still want to emphasize you should discuss your fears with your dr. Fear is more likely to intensify the pain you feel and the way you are able to manage it. Do what you can to relax while thinking about/ preparing for labor now, and that may help you when you are actually in labor soon.
  • Options
    When after birth do we shower? Sure I will be over the moon with baby and needed for various things, but I assume I'll be pretty gross after delivering :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"